BR(W) Ground Disk Dimensions

Evening all.

One of my longer term projects is to construct the various ground disks for St Ruth. So far the count stands at one prototype, the build of which has been detailed in our blog: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/595/entry-9912-staying-grounded/

The latest (and greatest) signal plan calls for 6 single disks in total, thus I thought it wise to draw out the various pieces and respective locations in some 3D software before churning out a whole load more of these. The result of an afternoon has resulted in the following, with comparison to the modelled 12" disk from Truro:

So, to an objective eye-ball, does this look like it's approximately proportioned, or do I just have badly calibrated sight?

(Apologies for the lack of scale with this 3D modelling stuff. If it helps the post is 2'6", or 5mm is 2FS.)

post-15793-0-78880300-1402282139_thumb.jpg

post-15793-0-04837100-1402282592_thumb.jpg

post-15793-0-84317900-1402282598_thumb.jpg

Best Regards,

Chris.

• RMweb Gold

Something about the proportions doesn't look right to me - overall it seems too 'skinny'/tall and the strengthening fillets at the base look to be too steep an angle.  There is a drawing  on Adrian Crafter's list - MB5530/1 - although I don't know if he sells copies.  Also I'm fairly sure that Missy of this parish has made one in 2mm scale so there might be a drawing about in the public area.

Incidentally the one in the photo has a very modern lamp housing, the proper lamp case for these signals was round in plan.

Thanks Mike,

Looking at the screenshots again after I had posted, I though that the gap between the balance weight arm and the disk was a slightly too big and with a further reduction to the ribs, it should solve it's lofty issues. I'll see if I (or my UK agent) can find said reference.

The lamps that we have used on the other signals on St Ruth have all been the older type, fashioned by wrapping some heat shrink around a surface mount LED, and I've no plans to change that. The hole in the upper part of the post is placed to accept the wires, to run through the post to beneath the baseboard.

Best Regards,

Chris.

Archived