what is it you want from a kit

• RMweb Premium

I tend to agree with Kenton. Usable instructions and make it a kit, i.e. something that is assembled into an end product by using the supplied bits and instructions and not the sort of assisted scratchbuild things that sometimes masquerade as kits (not intentionally I presume). If you are going to leave out wheels etc then that is fine so long as you specify what is needed and that these are obtainable without needing special handshakes or anything. If possible make a generic base which can be suitably used to model as wide a range of specific prototypes as possible.

I tend to agree with Kenton. Usable instructions and make it a kit, i.e. something that is assembled into an end product by using the supplied bits and instructions and not the sort of assisted scratchbuild things that sometimes masquerade as kits (not intentionally I presume). If you are going to leave out wheels etc then that is fine so long as you specify what is needed and that these are obtainable without needing special handshakes or anything. If possible make a generic base which can be suitably used to model as wide a range of specific prototypes as possible.

That is a bit confusing. Supply all the parts but make it a generic kit to produce a wide range of prototypes, which means either supplying everything (expensive and wasteful) or leave the builder to research and source what they need. One possibility might be to produce a base kit with detailing packs for various derivatives but I can't readily think of many locos where that applies, which aren't already available as kits.

You can't afford to ignore the EM or P4 sector of the market so there is little point in supplying wheels with a kit (even DJH gave that up). Different gauges, different frame widths, different choices of motors, gears, etc. Many modellers will have developed preferences for what make of wheels, gears or type of motor they prefer, which adds further complications.

• RMweb Premium

If you need to ask these questions you should be asking yourself why you are planning to make kits at all. Take Arthur Kimber's kits, they are produced with passion because he wants the models that he has made. He and I worked together on my Q6 and D20, but he wanted brass models. He didn't need to ask what to produce, or how it was to be made.

I had great fun discussing what to make when I was developing my plastic kits and some of the ideas were grafted into my own ideas, but I actually had a good idea where I was going. Then one day making them just stopped being fun and I stopped.

Roger

What do I need from a kit?

In a budget kit the bare minimum is to know that the key components are of accurate size and shape inc. body thicknesses etc so that I can then scratchbuild smaller components to my own standard and individualise e.g. the wagon

If I'm paying top dollar for a kit then the whole caboodle has to be bang on, or very close to it.

Dave

You may wish to consider contacting some of the exsting 'cottage' kit producers. One of the challenges that really slows things down is the production of masters for castings, traditionally produced in brass. Production of CAD designed, 3D printed masters would certainly speed up and reduce costs of some of the back log of coach kits I am aware of.

Mike Wiltshire

Archived