Removing etched plates/super glue streaks from paintwork

Hi guys,

I have recently purchased a model from a reputable 2nd hand supplier. It is a model I really want at a price I couldn't refuse, but unfortunately it has arrived and the etched plates (including the depot plaques and BR arrows) have all been glued on extremely poorly. There is even superglue streaks around one of the name plates, and one of the BR arrows is almost 45 degrees off and looks like it's almost embedded in a film of glue. 

Normally I'd just send the model back, but I have been looking for one of these for a while so I was wondering if it could be salvaged? A quick search has revealed acetone as a method of removing glued on etched plates, but considering the amount of glue I'd have to remove would this strategy even work?

Thanks in advance

AFAIK, superglue release agent IS acetone...and may also strip paint and melt plastic, so be careful.

Best course may be to prize off, rub down and repaint.

Or send it back.

• 2 weeks later...

remove the plates and try T-cut with a cotton bud keep an eye on the cotton bud stop when it starts to remove the paint. if it works clean the area and you will need to re-varnish as the t-cut will

leave a shiny finish. don't use any sort of solvent. careful use of a fibreglass brush could remove any heavy glue stains but will still need re-varnishing - good luck

Hi guys,

Thanks for your continued advice. I returned the model for a refund in the end. It was a shame as I have been looking for one of these for a while but never mind! I'll just keep scanning eBay looking for a 2nd hand one at a reasonable-ish price. 

Archived