Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Scratch building a model shop

Sounds a really good Idea, there is a similar shop in North Wales and seems to be very popular with the Family market.

I have often thought that most preserved lines are missing a great opportunity to combine model railways with the real stuff. Some I have seen flirt with it, but I guess with space, staff and finance being at a premium its difficult.

My I suggest that as well as the big stuff, and the must of a tail chaser with plenty of movement for the family market perhaps a couple of "modellers layouts" a home for a couple of decent buy retired exhibition layouts ?

I forgot to say, a pig farmer in Dowballs Cornwall turned his hobby into a tourist attraction, and he had 2 differing rides. Sadly closed several years ago and I think the locos went to Australia. No model railways or shop though

Yes John,

We're planning on installing something for the serious modeller too. It's all a question of space and how much we have to play with; the first meeting with the planners should give us an indication of how big we can go with the main building.

Cheers

Good luck it is a very tricky balance, rides and food is where the profits are. Family market buys the most items and impulse buys good for the bottom line. But catering for the serious modeller can be expensive due to price matching on RTR items and low volume of kits etc. Having said that I was very surprised how much some spend on basic Wills and Ratio items. But I always remember one of the Brunt brothers (H A Brunt, Mill Hill) building Wills craftsman kits in the shop and customers buying their own as a result.

Sounds interesting

John-sorry to be pedantic but I think you mean H.A.Blunt-155 Mill Hill Broadway! 

Had an aunt and uncle that used to live down the road-so when a trip to London was in the offing, it was always a well anticipated visit

• 4 weeks later...

Oh the joys of local authority planning departments!

We're desperately trying to get a pre-application planning meeting with our local planning authority. It's only a sleepy backwater district council and things move soooo slowly. RMWebbers may or may not be aware but you get charged for pre-application advice now - another stealth tax. Anyway before we can arrange said meeting we've some hoops to jump through before the LPA will considering proffering advice. 

I've so far commissioned a Habitat Appraisal, a full topographical survey and a Flood Risk Assessment (FRA). After waiting three weeks I gave the FRA consultants a ring this  morning to prod them along. They've nearly completed their report - they're just waiting for some information to be provided by, yes you guessed it, the planners!!

I despair, I really do...

Edited by Bezzy Oppo

• 3 months later...

Sure.

The main building it is anticipated will comprise model shop, modelling area and layouts and a cafeteria to watch the trains go by; the lean-to aspect houses public loos, servery to outside, notice boards, boiler room and showers for campers. Also a self-contained 2 or 3 bedroomed flat to the north end (ground and first floor).

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

Ah, the NYMR. I believe I may have accidentally filmed the lake when I went to the NYMR in August 2014. (I say accidentally, as I was leaning out of a window on the train with a camera.)

• 2 months later...

Update:

We're having to withdraw and resubmit our application. The planners want a consultant's report on every point of issue raised by neighbours. Traffic survey, heritage statement, et al incoming. I don't think we'll be getting a decision until June. Though the sounds are encouraging I do think the planners believe us to be in ownership of a money tree!

• 1 month later...

Oh it gets better!

The Environment Agency as a statutory consultee is asking for a detailed drainage scheme to be drawn up to be submitted with the new application (as opposed to being a condition ascribed to any permission). The issue? Oil and such-like leaking from cars and leaching into the ground with the potential for contaminating drinking water. We either drain to fuel receptors and separators or look to installing/ implementing a Sustainable Urban Drainage Scheme. That's swales and reed beds and the like of which you see around new out- of- town developments.

I've pointed out to the EA's planners that our immediate neighbour is the NYMR's wagon and coach works and diesel yard. Not forgetting the kettles running round their trains or taking on water. Along the length of the site the main running lines run replete with trains onboard loos working in the 'contemporary way'! And that modern cars don't really haemorrhage oil like they used to. To no avail.

Having gone out to tender the median quote is of the order of £10,000. Just to design the scheme. Apparently the EA will charge £80/hr for one of their officers to meet and advise on the acceptability of any suggested design. 

Nothing like writing your own cheques eh? The better half is starting to wonder why we're bothering at all...

Perhaps interested bodies within the NYMR have a means of leaning on the relevant authorities imagining your enterprise will compromise the NYMR footfall?

Just because they 'love choo-choos' doesn't mean their accountants and shareholders love 'Choo-choo Shoppy'!

I'd come and camp Chez-vous on what you have envisaged....

Er, I don't think so. If we shut up shop they would lose X 1000s of pounds in revenue because of the loss in parking capacity. We're also a landlord of the railway. Plus they a) support us and our endeavours, and secondly do not offer to customers what we have planned. (I did a b) but got the smiley inserted!!)

Edited by Bezzy Oppo

• 2 months later...

Finally, finally we are getting to a point where the planning application will be resubmitted. Hopefully in next 2-3 weeks. The major obstacle has been getting to an agreement with the Environment Agency in the area of mathematical flood modelling. We'll be having Swales and attenuation tanks and all manner of expensive gizmos just so we can build what is effectively a replacement building! Anyway, movement forwards at last.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Well we're nearly there. At the last minute the Council has requested a bridge survey for our access point. This is being done next week and will go in with our (redone) flood risk assessment and floodwater attenuation scheme. This has all been done in consultation with the Environment Agency so they should, in theory, withdraw their objections. We'll see. Meanwhile here's a drone shot of the site taken last week.

post-14090-0-99288200-1442565487_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Well the revised planning application is in. If anybody would like to read this several thousand page submission please be my guest! It can be found at www.ryedale.gov.uk, go to 'view a planning application'.

The planning reference number is 15/01180/MFUL and it was validated on the 12th October. Letters or e-mails of support would be greatly appreciated.

We anticipate this being decided at committee in January; fingers crossed......

• Like 4

• 1 month later...