LNWR livery query

PGN

Hi.

I've just acquired one of the rarest RTR locomotives known to man - the N Brass Locos' LNWR Coal Tank. Only, this one isn't in LNWR livery (he only ever turned out one of them!) it's in LMS unlined black. But I want to PUT it into LNWR livery.

Question: should this one be simply plain blackberry black with a big LNWR on its side tanks and a red cast number plate on the bunker side? Or shoudl it have some red lining of some sort??

Fully lined out, but if you are in the say 1916 - 23 period it may well have been out-shopped in plain black as part of the WW1 economy drive.

Only the Prince and Precursor tanks (to my knowledge) had the L&NWR on the fully lined tank sides and thus the number plate on the bunker sides, but not the Coal tanks.

The owning company 'LNWR' is on the numberplate, which was always on the tank side, bar the above two classes. E&OE :rolleyes:

Of my 6 Coal Tanks, one is in plain black.

Penlan

Saw it on Ebay advertised as a kit-built loco.

Thought to my self "Oh no it's not" and put a massive bid on it.

Guess I wasn't the only person who recognised it for what it was, as I had to pay ??160 for it. But seeing as they were over ??200 when new ...

Just to clarify (now I have access to my files) the only lettering to appear in regular service on LNWR loco's was on the Prince Tank, Precursor Tank and the 0-8-2T's, the sizes varied - The Precursors lettering was 6.5" high, the Prince tanks 12" high and the 0-8-2T's 9.5" high. In later years some of the Prince tanks were repainted with 9.5" high letters.

The occasional view of a Prince Tank with very large letters were just a trial, they were rejected.

Penlan

Archived