Eastwood L&Y - Can we build a P4 layout in a weekend?

Portchullin Tatty

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Colin,

Progress is being made with Eastwood, although there was one serious setback too.

The set back first. Foolishly, in the euphoria of getting so much done over the weekend, we did not clean off the flux that had been used in the laying of the track. As we were using steel rail, we got ourselves a corrosion problem. Worse than that, due to other group commitments, the layout was boxed up for a period until it was recommenced. This meant that the corrosion problem was quite serious and several of the turnouts needed to be replaced - dooh is about the only word that covers it!

Anyway, on the brighter side, the remaining boards have been made and the trackwork is concluded, as well as largely wired up. A fair degree of work has been completed to the hillside, but lots remains to go. A series of the buildings have been completed and will shortly be found a proper home on the layout. Then the scenary side of things can come on properly!

I will source some pictures over the coming weeks, so look out here for them. Sorry that I have none to hand.

Portions of the layout will be reappearing at the Southampton show on 29 & 30 January - I will post more details nearer the time or look out at http://www.smrs.hampshire.org.uk/

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hello,

Long time no reports.

If anyone is interested the Eastwood Layout is not dead, it has just had a stagnant period, due to other commitment like taking Ogden Fold out three times in three month, and exhibiting our other group/club layouts like Kitehouses, Westcliff, Stoke by Nayland, Ogden Fold and Hope plus others so we have not had time to make as much progress as we would have liked.

Anyway after Ogden Fold goes to Basingstoke Exhibition next weekend we plan a spring and summer period of layout building.

During the quiet time (Last two years) we have managed to progress Fiddle yards and the third scenic board, and acquired more stock to convert and build. Eastwood i planned to operate in both L&Y and BR (1955 -1968) periods.

We have also painted the three light pelmets, and the cobbled streets, made a new station shelter, replaced some track etc etc, but we have a lot do to meet out exhibition commitments for 2014.

So watch this space.

If anybody wants to be a friend of the Eastwood layout and help from afar, just contact me and we can sort out a job for you.

Ray Hodson

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, Do you remember all that fuss a couple of years ago - build a layout in a weekend. Well Phase one is nearly complete see below,  having exhibited at Southampton we are now preparing for the Southwold show in August and our own club exhibition in November.

Ray 5311

post-15065-0-44788600-1394153796_thumb.jpg

Archived