Hi all,

I'm trying my hand at some restoration projects on older Lima/Hornby AC electric locos.

I've noticed a lot of them lean to one side - even on the straight!

As I'm not planning to run them, they can be stripped of motors, etc, so there's plenty of room for adjustments to be made. I've made sure the bodies are mounted correctly and can't see any visible signs of body distortion.

Has anyone got suggestions for curing the problem? Is it to do with the wheel-sets being out-of-gauge (the only thing I can think of as an apprentice modeller...). 

Any suggestions/possible solutions would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Michael

A lot of my Hornby ones lean. Not sure it has anything to do with the tyres. I think it's more to do with the motor or the metal bit of the dummy bogie not sitting squarely in the bogie frame, whether it's through wear or some other reason, I'm not sure as I havn't dug deeper into it yet.

Good point re the traction tyres, but they're all still intact.

I suspect it's to do with the 'sit' of the motor/dummy bogies in the frames.

I'm guessing with much patience and slithers of plasticard, the problem could be solved. That said, with very gentle adjusting, it is possible to get the locos to stand up straight, until they move...

Mind, the issue isn't limited to old Hornby/Lima models. I've got some very expensive continental european models that do the same thing. Now THAT's annoying given the prices charged!

There is a difference between the old Hornby/Lima models and the continental models in that there is a lot of play in the Hornby/Lima, whilst the continentals have no sideways movement. Maybe something to do with them being HO and not OO...

Further investigation needed...

Cheers for the thoughts, guys.

It's a common thing with the Hornby models of that era. If after removing the trailing/dummy bogie you look at the chassis, a plastic 'cone' will be seen protruding from the cross member at the middle of the bogie space. This 'cone' is sightly off-centre to the chassis centreline and bears on the dummy bogie. This causes the tilt. The cure is simple, just file the point of this 'cone' down until the bogie sits square. True it does make the bogie a trifle stiffer in rotation but not enough to cause issues. I did this to all my Class 25s and they ran fine for years on exhibition layouts. I've since sold all mine otherwise I'd attach a pic.

Hope this helps

John

It's a common thing with the Hornby models of that era. If after removing the trailing/dummy bogie you look at the chassis, a plastic 'cone' will be seen protruding from the cross member at the middle of the bogie space. This 'cone' is sightly off-centre to the chassis centreline and bears on the dummy bogie. This causes the tilt. The cure is simple, just file the point of this 'cone' down until the bogie sits square. True it does make the bogie a trifle stiffer in rotation but not enough to cause issues. I did this to all my Class 25s and they ran fine for years on exhibition layouts. I've since sold all mine otherwise I'd attach a pic.

Hope this helps

John

Aha!

Thanks John.

I suspected the file would have to be involved at some point! Fortunately, for me, my models are static/very running-limited in dioramas so any such mods won't cause layout running issues.

Cheers,

Michael

Archived