BEIJIAO - a large Chinese HO exhibition layout set in the 21st century

TEAMYAKIMA

Haven't posted recently - doesn't mean there has been no progress!

Built another tenement but I guess you're pretty bored with them by now - they all look the same!

So it's the interiors that sets each apart .... here are two nearing completion....

Small kiosk .......

post-4476-0-21296600-1433156136_thumb.jpg

Tyre shop .....

post-4476-0-71291800-1433156154_thumb.jpg

Tues and Wednes off this week ... will fit these and start on a supermarket.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Have been working away ... these interiors take ridiculous amounts of time!

I have making these industrial racking ..... cut down from an OO scale laser cut kit

attachicon.gifDSC_0064 (2).JPG

What shall we put on them?

Have a look around your home and try and find a random item with 'made in china' stamped on it....and then to make life easier, model the box it came in ;)

Edit, how about stacks of certain 'blue' or 'red' boxes?

Edited by Satan's Goldfish

OK!!  I really must move on to the next interior now!

Have added various boxes of 'bits' and there are now two VCR recorders for sale on the top of the shelf unit .......

I must remind myself that this will be a minimum of 4ft away from the viewer!! Is it worth all the effort?

YES!!

post-4476-0-47269100-1434354557_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

OK ..... moving on to the next interior..........still plenty to do on this one but progress made .........

A café with many workers having breakfast and an American tourist (wife of a railfan ) who has just asked if they do 'eggs over easy'  and she's telling her husband who is outside photographing trains that they don't!

post-4476-0-75004400-1434458362_thumb.jpg

post-4476-0-24139800-1434458382_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Just an overall view of the old tenements - nearly finished with these .... maybe another month just adding lighting and finishing off .... then maybe later one more if I go with an idea I have to extend the scenery beyond its present constraints.

BTW these will not be configured like this on the layout - they will be in a straight line making the backscene.

post-4476-0-76719500-1434615853_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Today I have been working on figures. I don't want any two figures the same on the layout and I am trying to avoid the popular ones you see on every layout.

Because I have bought so many sets of washing/laundry from Preiser/Faller I have ended up with loads of women hanging washing ...... here is one converted from a 1950s German woman hanging up a sheet on the line into a 2005 Chinese woman getting down a bottle from the chilled cabinet in the shop.

post-4476-0-67430300-1435152655_thumb.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 3

It's about time I put out a request for help with this huge project!

This is a personal project in the sense that I make all the decisions and I pay all the bills but in concept, size and complexity it needs to be a group project if it is to be completed and exhibited in my lifetime. I'm getting a lot of help from Al and some help with the DCC design from fellow members of Twickenham MRC ( yes, I know I live in Watford!) but this is a HUGE project and ,although I have even cut my hours at work in order to spend more time on it, progress is still SLOW.

I have now been invited to my first exhibition - St Albans Jan 2017 - time to think about putting together an operating team ...... anyone interested in getting involved?

BTW - I will be demonstrating at the CMRA modellers day on July 18th if anyone wants to discuss getting involved on a 'face-to-face' basis.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

I've spent the day doing odd random things on the buildings......

One of the last interiors will be a laundrette .... partly to use up all these washing day figures I've acquired along with the washing lines.

Here are a couple of women who will be working in the laundrette...... They are Preiser and originally very tall 1950s style typical Germans with typical 1950s style dress. They have been shortened and their clothes have been carved into more a modern style.

post-4476-0-77298400-1435514775_thumb.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It's about time I put out a request for help with this huge project!

This is a personal project in the sense that I make all the decisions and I pay all the bills but in concept, size and complexity it needs to be a group project if it is to be completed and exhibited in my lifetime. I'm getting a lot of help from Al and some help with the DCC design from fellow members of Twickenham MRC ( yes, I know I live in Watford!) but this is a HUGE project and ,although I have even cut my hours at work in order to spend more time on it, progress is still SLOW.

I have now been invited to my first exhibition - St Albans Jan 2017 - time to think about putting together an operating team ...... anyone interested in getting involved?

BTW - I will be demonstrating at the CMRA modellers day on July 18th if anyone wants to discuss getting involved on a 'face-to-face' basis.

If you ever come to Manchester then I'll do my very best to get some time off (SWMBO and work) otherwise I'm afraid I might be to far away.

Best of luck,

Kev.

If you ever come to Manchester then I'll do my very best to get some time off (SWMBO and work) otherwise I'm afraid I might be to far away.

Best of luck,

Kev.

Thanks Kev .... a few years down the line I think!!

Meanwhile ....the next interior is virtually finished ...the laundrette

post-4476-0-09959500-1435679159_thumb.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 6

^ needs more brown cardboard boxes - everywhere!

I agree ... up to a point. This is not one of those family concerns with dingy lighting ... this is a proper business .... and there are some cardboard boxes already (behind the counter)  but they are grey ... that's because I have a can of spray light grey paint !!  Seriously I am experimenting to get the correct shade of washed out brown ... it's very pale and insipid and difficult to get right ... I've got some Africa Korps desert khaki somewhere that might do the trick!

Am taking this all on board ... keep watching!

• Like 1

^ needs more brown cardboard boxes - everywhere!

One reason that things take me so long is that I am an obsessive ...

So the standard Faller box of fruit is too coarse for me ..... so here are two ... one as it should look as far as Faller are concerned and one I'm happy with ... time taken to 'improve' this detail which will hardly be seen inside a building over 4ft away ... 30 mins!

post-4476-0-81674300-1435833376_thumb.jpg

• Like 3