BEIJIAO - a large Chinese HO exhibition layout set in the 21st century

TEAMYAKIMA

If anyone doubts that steam is still active in China today you might try the link below. I have just been watching a SY 2-8-2 shunting LIVE!

But hurry - it's ending soon!

http://jia.360.cn/pc/view.html?sn=36052778123&from=singlemessage&isappinstalled=1

It would seem there is something wrong with the webcam just getting a black blurry screen when I log on to it. Anyone else getting the same?

It would seem there is something wrong with the webcam just getting a black blurry screen when I log on to it. Anyone else getting the same?

That's because it's night time in China - 7 hours ahead .... for some reason the webcam doesn't adjust well and goes out of focus - should be ok from about 11pm UK time

Fascinating to watch these Sy's going about their daily business in 2016 could of done with a few webcams along the Jingpeng pass 10 years ago.

Paul, keep up your excellent work on your layout, really love to see it at an exhibition soon.

• 3 weeks later...

I have spent the last few weeks working on the industrial loops where the two banking engines will be added to the trains going up the grade to the steelworks (off site) as per Chengde.

I have been experimenting with colours for groundwork. Plain black is too stark .... here are some photos but it's a work in progress............

Please note that the exact colour you see varies with the lighting conditions ... in these photos taken with flash the groundwork looks slightly too brown , too muddy

post-4476-0-21638900-1466491570_thumb.jpg

post-4476-0-70065800-1466491552_thumb.jpg

post-4476-0-34533400-1466491582_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

With the first full set up and running session all arranged (at the CMRA Modellers Day on July 16th), my ttention has turned from modelling to the practicalities of moving the layout in a van.

I completed the fiddle yard stack some weeks ago.

My attention has turned to the scenic boards. With no scenery (except for ballast and some groundwork!) the scenic boards can stack directly on top of each other. I have constructed two plywood sheets that will lock the boards together.

Moving the much heavier scenic boards has proved VERY awkward in the shed, so it has been impossible to assble the complete stack but here are board 3 & 4 on the workbench. Board # 4 will be on top, then #3, then # 2 with #1 on the bottom.

I hope the photo explains how it will look.

post-4476-0-80417200-1467209634_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have taken time off working on the layout to work on stock.

One of my obcessions is close coupling, especially with coaches; so that's been my focus today.

Here are two coaches as out of the box as Bachmann intended them....

post-4476-0-56334200-1468074840_thumb.jpg

Here are the same coaches fitted with Fleischmann close couplings........

post-4476-0-97571800-1468074852_thumb.jpg

And here they are after some 'fettling' by me ...........

post-4476-0-17070800-1468074866_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Have taken time off working on the layout to work on stock.

One of my obcessions is close coupling, especially with coaches; so that's been my focus today.

Here are two coaches as out of the box as Bachmann intended them....

attachicon.gifDSC_0037.JPG

Here are the same coaches fitted with Fleischmann close couplings........

attachicon.gifDSC_0036.JPG

And here they are after some 'fettling' by me ...........

attachicon.gifDSC_0039.JPG

Looks good. I haven't used those before - do they still go round the corners OK?

Looks good. I haven't used those before - do they still go round the corners OK?

I'll let you know after the first running session next Saturday!

Seriously ..... there are no issues using the Fleischmann couplers with the close coupling device and my fettling appears not to make any difference, just improves the appearance even more.

I used to use the Roco coupler 'head' but found them a bit easily bent/damaged in the stockbox - I think the Fleischmann heads are a bit more robust.

Well, I regret to say that the test running at the CMRA event did not go that well - we ran OK on DC but had DCC issues that stopped everything dead - including the DCC command unit that burst into flames - well almost!

We wasted loads of time with this electrical fault and so 99% of testing/running just didn't happen, but David Crossley (CMRA exhibition mamager) has decided that he has faith in me and so we are invited to Stevenage in 2017!

Here is a photo of the layout with buildings and bridge just 'plopped down' to give some idea of how it will look - eventually!

post-4476-0-11690700-1468797138_thumb.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 6

Thanks for posting Al and thanks for all your help both on Saturday and with the bridge.

Al's photos capture the essence of the layout - long passing trains on the outskirts of a medium size city approaching a major passenger station and marshalling yard (off scene). The freights are long and there are block coal and tanker trains.

This is the old part of the city but it's being upgraded ... there a new major ring road being built and new buildings replacing the old.

There is a steam hauled industrial system that comes into the old part to the city with a passenger station to take workers up a steeply graded line to the local steelworks.

• Like 3

Have spent my day off making some changes to the FY track on the industrial line tracks.

This shows how I work in my shed ..... can only get two boards up together at the same time. Two at 90 degrees is difficult!

post-4476-0-06527100-1469037152_thumb.jpg

I'm re-arranging the points to give a bigger radius on the approach... I now have a brass JF and it doesn't like 18 inch radius!!

post-4476-0-20378000-1469037046_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Nice wall decorations too, Paul! :-)

Enjoying watching the layout develop.

Dave

In case I've not mentioned it, Dave has weathered my steam locos as seen in posts 326 & 364

Dave

I will be sending you the other 7-10 steam locos once they've been DCC chipped

Paul

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

When I first saw the layout on Saturday only a couple of buildings were in place, I then looked back a few hours later and dozens more had appeared, I thought you were mimicking modern China's boom with a new scenic system, in the morning when the show opens it will just be paddy fields, then lots of appartments appear, and by Sunday afternoon the whole layout is obscured by a smog machine?

Jon