Romsey Arts Festival Model Railway Exhibition July 5th

PatC

As part of the 2014 Romsey Festival, Romsey & District Railway Modellers Society are holding an exhibition at the United Reformed Church Hall, just off the market Place in Romsey town centre on Saturday 5th July from 10.30  to 4.30. Around 8 layouts from the club and its members will be on display in a  range of scales and gauges including N, OO, P4, HOe and 009.

Admission is free (voluntary donations to URC church funds).

This small show should not be confused with the Society's annual exhibition held each March.

There are plenty of other things happening in Romsey on the day and throughout the Festival. Details of the exhibition and the rest of the Festival may be found on the official website at:

http://www.romseyfestival.org/events/romsey-and-district-railway-modellers-society-exhibition/ 

Regards,

Patrick

Thanks for correcting that Kenton.

Sorry Pete, I think Beggars Far is the following Saturday, the 12th. Mind you, there's plenty of watering holes in Romsey anyway. Plenty of other things happening in town on the 5th, including an open day at Romsey Signal Box.

Patrick

• 2 weeks later...

Only one day to go now.

Look out, or should that be listen, for the experimental non-DCC sound system that we hope to have on Melcombe Abbas again.

Also, two of the layouts are having their first outing - Milton Monachorum and Pendavey Dries.

Very parochial and despite a lot of effort put in by those exhibiting very low attendance (at least while I was there). The exhibits outnumbered the public by some margin (at one point I was alone in the hall with them all to myself). A bit sad really.

But it did take some finding and parking in town was horrendous. Not too familiar with Romsey I had good directions from one of the ladies at the quilting exhibition. (which, I am informed, was worth the journey)

This show isn't even listed on this site under events, so maybe that is why the poor attendance.   Has it actually been advertised in the industry press?

It is listed under exhibitions - isn't that what it is?

actually it was hardly what I'd call an exhibition, more of a public display of the local club's layouts and it was "Free" so I don't think they were aiming particularly high. No trade and in context it was a passing interest only. Full marks for the effort put in. My expectations didn't start out very high but was happy enough to go along and be entertained* for the price of a couple of brass washers in the bucket.

I did hear some muttering that it was in the press somewhere and on some other forum that I have nothing to do with.

* certainly more entertaining than folk knocking a ball about, or trying to bicycle their way up and down dales, playing chase round and round some tarmac or sticking their oar in some minor river.

Ah, missed it!

Cheers

Dave

Here is a taste of what you missed - Ryedown Lane.

RyedownLane_zps851370fc.jpg

To see more  click here.

Kenton hit the nail on the head when stating it was 'more of a public display of the local club's layouts'.   Members of the public of all ages were invited to have a go and it made one particular lady's day.

Three new layouts were run for the first time under exhibition conditions giving their operators valuable insights.

It was also an opportunity for members to try out new stock that would otherwise be out of place, with a Garratt just out of the box running on Melcombe Abbas.

GarrattonMelcombeAbbas_zps9d800026.jpg

Also of interest was an experimental sound system for use on non-DCC layouts which is being developed by a sound engineer who is also interested in organ music.  Its first outing was at our annual exhibition last March.  This time it was running on a laptop.  Our plans are to add more sounds from various locomotive types and host the system on an inexpensive Raspberry Pi.  The speakers will be placed at each end of the layout and the electronics will make the sounds appear to emanate from any desired point.

MelcombeAbbassoundsystem_zps255c5ca1.jpg

• RMweb Premium

We went in the afternoon. I particularly liked  Ryedown Lane, Pendavey Dries,  and the P4 work in progress, Milton Monachorum. I also managed to buy a bagful of books at the remainder shop in The Hundred (Superbooks?); much better than The Works.

Pete

Archived