RMweb

British Modular System - the initial ideas and debates

Andy Y

Freemo modular systems work well in Europe,

These are the recognized 'standard' end boards in German P87 circles.

attachicon.gif001.JPG

Hello again

Modul endplates - its my topic - offering some 650 different types of endplates for all scales.

The endplates shown in Your post  are FREMO E96 - normally used in the Netherlands and in Italy, using a wide ditch.

All endplates are available in high (195mm)  and low versions(104mm)

FREMO 87 also uses 115mm

All can be connected - also individuell highs

Normally used in FREMO H0 Europe standard-track are

single track - normally 500mm wide

B96  (B = Berg = hill)

FREMO%20B96%20hoch%20Abwandlung%20B%2050

F96  (F = flach = flat)

FREMO%20F02%20hoch%2050cm.jpg

E96  ( E = Ebene = Lowlands) low version shown

FREMO%20E96%20flach%2050cm.jpg

B02 (used by FREMO87)  (B = Berg = hill)

B96 (in front)  - compared with B02

007.jpg

double track - 46mm - normally 546mm wide -

2E99 ( E = Ebene = Lowlands)

2B00 (B = Berg = hill)

2D99 ( D = Damm = embarkment)

http://www.modulbahner.de/FREMO-H0-2gl/html/default.html

Tschuess / bye

Harald Brosch

Edited by Harald Brosch
  • Like 1

>>>The system we used allows easy adjustment on the day and allows for dimensional errors easier with different rail heights.

The examples below show my concern with minor errors

1 is free floating with clamps and adjustable feet.

2 is someone putting code 75 next to code100

3 is a measuring error from dowel to rail height.

You could include a jig to specify it but that increases cost.<<<

No problem with FREMO at all - since many, many years :-)

All H0 endplates have 12mm diameter  holes - and the screws we use are 8mm M8 wing-bolts and wing-nuts

8mm screws - 12mm holes - and there are no problems connecting large layouts

Bye

Harald Brosch

Edited by Harald Brosch
  • Like 1

The pre-made FREMO ends seem to be more about a consistent scenery profile. If for example the ground at the end of the module was flat, then cutting a rectangle and drilling a couple of over size bolt holes (which don't actually need to be exactly located due to the slop between hole and bolt) should be within the capabilities of anyone who can build a board.

I'm interested in the asymmetric FREMO ends. I can see that they add to the realism of the scenery, but them being handed limits the connection options. There also multiple end profiles, which must limit the options even more

14427312239_419b14eb4c_c.jpg
IMG_3529 von – FelixM – auf Flickr

These are the two modules I spoke about at midday today (at the top of page 8 of this thread...). Both have laser cut end profiles, but the right one could well be a homemade plank. You can see the additional holes drilled at the meeting in Rendsburg, this was because the adjacent module was narrower and did not have common holes with my one. Both modules originate from a friend of mine who has had plans of H0-USA modelling so these modules aren't fully compatible to H0-RE / 00Fremo modules. That's why some more holes didn't matter.

14105594362_c7ef522e20_c.jpg
IMG_3311 von – FelixM – auf Flickr

You can see a Loconet box clamped to my module here. This is where folks plug in their loco controlers (FREDs within FREMO).

Incidentally, the two numbers behind the letter of the profile descriptions in Harald's post are the year in which the profile was normed.

Kind regards

Felix

• Like 2

The pre-made FREMO ends seem to be more about a consistent scenery profile. If for example the ground at the end of the module was flat, then cutting a rectangle and drilling a couple of over size bolt holes (which don't actually need to be exactly located due to the slop between hole and bolt) should be within the capabilities of anyone who can build a board.

I'm interested in the asymmetric FREMO ends. I can see that they add to the realism of the scenery, but them being handed limits the connection options. There also multiple end profiles, which must limit the options even more

First part: Yes, exactly.

Second part: Asymmetric profiles are the nightmare of each layout planner, especially if the environment requires a curve and you only have ones that face the other direction. Asymmetric modules can't easily be turned around. But they are popular and demanded by the community.

Luckily the layout planners of today can strike back nowadays: May I introduce you to the "profile eliminator":

13921964910_ce49c22c88_c.jpg

IMG_3339 von – FelixM – auf Flickr

13921963108_7a19ced134_c.jpg

IMG_3340 von – FelixM – auf Flickr

As you can see there are totally different profiles from each side, but it does not look bad. A profile eliminator must have vertical walls (like a bridge, but there are other possibilities too) to successful eliminate everything from a tall dam to a deep cutting. There are two types around: Very short ones that allow to change the profiles without "loss" of too much length (useful in small locations) or standard length ones that can have other functions too. This one is a duck-under profile eliminator which later will get tunnel portals and a green landscape on the top.

14105347651_4e4a6fb250_c.jpg

IMG_3336 von – FelixM – auf Flickr

You could even make a full-width full-length module with a tunnel and scenery on it if you find a suitable prototype with vertical walls and a scale length of ~1 metre.

Kind regards

Felix

Edited by FelixM
  • Like 6

I'm going to chuck in my thoughts here. One reason I think the RS tower spec took off was that it was simple, but at the same time aimed for a degree of realism. It's early adoption of code 83 rail showed a concern for appearance and fidelity which inspired many to have ago. Plus it's just such great fun playing trains operationally.

I'm not keen, personally, on a standard which uses Peco code 75, simply because I think this is an opportunity to challenge and stretch people, so I would recommend SMP OO for plain track, accepting that most will want to use RTR points.

Personally, since the RS Tower/freemo spec has gained a modicum of support I would suggest using it, with whichever code 75 track system is chosen. This would have the advantage of enabling some use of plain modules in both systems. Yards may also work but I know some non-US locos and stock have issues with the code 83 points.

I suggested some time ago in the Somerset & Dorset section that it, as a mixed single/double track secondary with a branch, was an ideal candidate for a modular set up, but the idea was poorly revived. Perhaps now it's time has come!

• Like 1

Judging by the enthusiasm in the LT Underground group, I suspect a purely underground modular group could work, and produce a fantastic set up at a national exhibition yearly. Individual stations are coming along from several modelers.

Two sided viewing and just buildings on top. (Or photos from Google earth). They could recreate chunks of the circle line with continupus running for the punters along with several point to point routes, some overlapping.

Andy

• Like 1

I'm not keen, personally, on a standard which uses Peco code 75, simply because I think this is an opportunity to challenge and stretch people, so I would recommend SMP OO for plain track, accepting that most will want to use RTR points.

I'm the opposite, I'd rather use Peco as it's cheap and easy - I wouldn't want to mess about handbuilding track otherwise you might as well go for one of these funny 18.something gauges instead of OO.

• RMweb Gold

The beauty is you can use whatever track you like on your module as long as it has the flange clearances for rtr stock to run across. Lulworth happens to use SMP code 75 on scene and Peco in the FY.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello again

Modul endplates - its my topic - offering some 650 different types of endplates for all scales.

The endplates shown in Your post  are FREMO E96 - normally used in the Netherlands and in Italy, using a wide ditch.

All endplates are available in high (195mm)  and low versions(104mm)

FREMO 87 also uses 115mm

All can be connected - also individuell highs

Normally used in FREMO H0 Europe standard-track are

single track - normally 500mm wide

B96  (B = Berg = hill)

FREMO%20B96%20hoch%20Abwandlung%20B%2050

F96  (F = flach = flat)

FREMO%20F02%20hoch%2050cm.jpg

E96  ( E = Ebene = Lowlands) low version shown

FREMO%20E96%20flach%2050cm.jpg

B02 (used by FREMO87)  (B = Berg = hill)

B96 (in front)  - compared with B02

007.jpg

double track - 46mm - normally 546mm wide -

2E99 ( E = Ebene = Lowlands)

2B00 (B = Berg = hill)

2D99 ( D = Damm = embarkment)

Tschuess / bye

Harald Brosch

Thanks Harald.

...and I thought that there was only one type!

I was given the ones in my picture  by a Bavarian P87 group.

With some careful thought into a 'standard' end plate, this modular approach could be very workable in the UK.

The key to it, in my view, is that a consistent standard of scenery basics is used, i.e. using grasses of the same length/colour (where applicable) as a basis to every module so as to make the whole thing convincing.

In this picture you can just see the join of two modules at the right hand side.

post-6728-0-66695900-1404978350.jpg

A general view of about a quarter of Hölle that was on show in 2009. There is a lot more back at their HQ!

post-6728-0-58444900-1404978450.jpg

Another view that was taken in 2011 showing a different set of modules, again this was about a quarter of what was on show.

This was the best modular layout that I've ever seen.

post-6728-0-70151000-1404979125_thumb.jpg

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 4

The beauty is you can use whatever track you like on your module as long as it has the flange clearances for rtr stock to run across. Lulworth happens to use SMP code 75 on scene and Peco in the FY.

Everyone can choose the track he would like to use. The important fact is the rail top over floor height.

Here we have a Peco Code 75 (right) to SMP bullhead (middle) to Code 75 (left) double joint:

14105581062_66736bb254_c.jpg

IMG_3315 von – FelixM – auf Flickr

There were no problems with different rail heights in use.

Kind regards

Felix

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The only scenery spec we used was on the very ends so they blended their scenery to that. The spec was flat ground with 3mm or 1/8th inch roadbed under the track.

They use WS light grey ballast and WS burnt turf at the join.

A slight variation on some boards didn't really matter.

The only scenery spec we used was on the very ends so they blended their scenery to that. The spec was flat ground with 3mm or 1/8th inch roadbed under the track.

They use WS light grey ballast and WS burnt turf at the join.

A slight variation on some boards didn't really matter.

That sounds a good easy starting spec, obviously with a slightly more british shade of turf! Was there a 'rule' to the width of the road bed or was it at builders discretion?

• RMweb Gold

That sounds a good easy starting spec, obviously with a slightly more british shade of turf! Was there a 'rule' to the width of the road bed or was it at builders discretion?

The roadbed width wasn't specified and though it varied a little at joints it didn't stand out as a visual distraction.

• Like 1

Out of interest, what is the end profile of US modules pictured at the start of this thread?

Moin, hello Satan´s goldfish :-)

Just shipping (and shipped before)  some US.H0 and H0n3  endplates to  customers in the UK  :-)

US 1 track endplates in FREMO USA H0 are 500 wide - high 100mm = underside of the track

2 track is 552mm

US-valles 1track - the most used endplate for US H0 in FREMO

30006-US-Valley.jpg

US-Valley 2track (52mm track distance) - the normal one.

There is another Version with a ditch in the mittle of the trackbed

30081-USA-Valley-2gl.jpg

NAI = North American Industries (500x100mm)

30092-NAI-Griff-Passbuchsen-fb.jpg

Some more endplates for H0n3 see

http://www.modulbahner.de/FREMO-H0n3/html/default.html

I myself use 3track modules for US H0

Some of them seen here under construction :-)

Can be used as mainline - staging track - sidings and so on - using special modules with switches.

Rohbau1.jpg

Tschuess / bye

Harald

Out of interest, what is the end profile of US modules pictured at the start of this thread?

Apologies - hadn't seen this question - don't seem to have a good image to hand, but this is the diagram:

post-6762-0-02517700-1405001881.jpg

So - basically a plain rectangle between 3.5" to 4.5" tall (end heights need to be somewhere close to each other in height in order to easily clamp) - by 18" (single track) or 20" (double track) wide - the wider double track allows you to line up one fascia if you need to connect a double to a single track end. 

• RMweb Gold

Here is the scheme of our Great-britN modular meeting in August. It is only a small meeting.

The scheme of the line

Great-britNArrangement2014.jpg

Thank you MacRat for drawing the scheme of the line

Markus

• Like 3