Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

On 03/02/2022 at 10:01, Pete the Elaner said:

I would have agreed with that, so the 47s surprised me.

I doubt we'll see more 90s for a year or so. Bachmann have a lot of other models in their catalogue.

The 47s didn't surprise me but I will be surprised if they sustain the release rate into next lot of announcements. Especially given I think pretty much every era is catered for with them now.

I hope we get more 90s but they have done a few and so will be a while I think. I just don't think I'll end up with any since none were in the colours I wanted. If they had done an orange FL one instead of a green one, or a modern DB of some sort I'd have been all over it.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1

It is curious that we will shortly have 3 different Freightliner liveries to choose from but no EWS/DB… does make you wonder if FL helped with development or there are Licensing challenges with others?  Or maybe FL are more popular? They do seem to have worked their 90 fleet harder over the years…

1 hour ago, Matt said:

It is curious that we will shortly have 3 different Freightliner liveries to choose from but no EWS/DB… does make you wonder if FL helped with development or there are Licensing challenges with others?  Or maybe FL are more popular? They do seem to have worked their 90 fleet harder over the years…

I was wondering that, but then could the Kernow one have been done without DB's permission? Bit of an odd one that as I expect that logo etc. on that is property of DB Germany, and the livery was on a BR loco.

1 hour ago, The Black Prince said:

I think we will see a continued selection of 47s coming for a while yet, they have all that development to pay off and if they continue selling like hot cakes they will want to cash in on that.

Yes but I don't think they'll do as many in the next release. A) we are looking into Q3 for the ones they have announced anyways IIRC and B) they won't want to have them sat on shelves whilst wallets catch up with the first releases.

They will need to make their money back but I don't think they'll be releasing 20 different ones a year.

On 02/02/2022 at 21:19, chris37422 said:

I think ADB968008 was correct in saying 90029 was first. I have the below dates at Toton for (red)repaint dates

90029 Nov/Dec 2012

90018 Jan 2013

90036 Jun 2013

90040 Dec 15/Jan 2016

90019 April 2016

90028 Dec 2018/Jan 2019

90035 Sep 2019/Oct 2019

90037 Aug 2020/Sep 2020

Every day is a school day then ... my apologies @adb968008

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 02/02/2022 at 21:19, chris37422 said:

I think ADB968008 was correct in saying 90029 was first. I have the below dates at Toton for (red)repaint dates

90029 Nov/Dec 2012

90018 Jan 2013

90036 Jun 2013

90040 Dec 15/Jan 2016

90019 April 2016

90028 Dec 2018/Jan 2019

90035 Sep 2019/Oct 2019

90037 Aug 2020/Sep 2020

Speaking of repaints, do you know whats happening with 90021 ? which has just gone off to be repainted this week just gone @chris37422 ?

5 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I was wondering that, but then could the Kernow one have been done without DB's permission? Bit of an odd one that as I expect that logo etc. on that is property of DB Germany, and the livery was on a BR loco.

The model is being made by Bachmann, which includes Liliput in its stable and over the years will have made thousands of DB liveried models in the HO range, I would expect all the licensing is already in place for how current and former liveries are reproduced (the Kernow edition uses the old logo and 90s version of DB 'traffic red'). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, andyman7 said:

The model is being made by Bachmann, which includes Liliput in its stable and over the years will have made thousands of DB liveried models in the HO range, I would expect all the licensing is already in place for how current and former liveries are reproduced (the Kernow edition uses the old logo and 90s version of DB 'traffic red'). 

I think the licensing point was more if another manufacturer had exclusivity on licensing on the 90s specifically. Not sure if this is a thing or not. Bachmann make plenty of DB 66s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that these are now in stock.

I haven’t done an exhaustive survey but none of my usual retailers seem to have them yet (or at least haven’t updated their webpages yet). Where did you see them? I’m still feeling skint from overindulgence in 86s…

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Matt said:

I haven’t done an exhaustive survey but none of my usual retailers seem to have them yet (or at least haven’t updated their webpages yet). Where did you see them? I’m still feeling skint from overindulgence in 86s…

The Bachmann website currently shows that the sound fitted versions of the IC Mainline 90026 (32-613SF) and the Freightliner Grey 90048 (32-620SF) have arrived … link below. So retailers should be receiving them during the coming days.

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/category/model-railway/branchline/electric-locomotives

The non-sound fitted versions are due during March/April, while all versions of the Freightliner Green and Virgin livery are due during April/May.

My funds also depleted following the arrival of the 86’s … and a failed fridge/freezer! So currently saving again for this year’s pre-orders including the IC Mainline and Virgin 90’s.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Matt said:

I had a sound fitted Mainline one on order from John Dutfield's in Chelmsford. Ken e-mailed me to say they were in stock & he had tested it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jamescav95 said:

Fresh from Kernow and on the test track. It’s an amazing model and so happy I went with sound fitted. Perfectly smooth runner straight out the box 

8E6C504D-32AD-44F4-97D1-01ACB2F53567.jpeg

ECED200C-E2E4-452A-AA46-06A19468E01B.jpeg

C0385F08-828C-4D59-B11F-4383BF1EB2B5.jpeg

Sound fitted does make quite a bit of difference on them, doesnt it ?

Does the panto rise and fall still make a noise on these newer ones ?

I imagine my local model shop will have them in soon enough, so we may take Malcolm, Bill or one of the Team Red Skodas in for a sound comparison

I'm not entertaining buying one till @Bachmann catch up with reality, there are more than Freightliner operating the Class 90 currently ... and opting to make the first three era-10/11 90s in their colours, to me, just doesnt make sense ... if it were the other way round, i would still think it was crackers to have done three DB liveried 90s, despite being chuffed about it ... 

Kat@johnsonstreetIEMD

On 02/02/2022 at 00:08, adb968008 said:

Interesting choice of buffers, puts it post privatisation (summer 1994), rather than pre, I guess 1994 - 2003… A good choice for VT passenger services, and covers its longest period of running in that livery.

90029 has always been an odd one out..

As built as 90029 in Mainline it ended up in Freight mostly from 1988-1992, despite having the passenger fittings / rubbing plate.

Yet after becoming a 90/1 in DB livery and having its rubbing plates removed Its moved upto being a long term passenger service hire-in for much of its life, firstly to VT upto 2003, renumbered back to 90/0 and EWS livery, then the Pretendolino and then on the Sleeper. 

In 2012 it was the first one in (Official UK) DB livery  and moved to the ECML until very recently, 2019.

its now in Grand Central currently.. another odd ball livery.

Colourful history, literally.

An interesting find this weekend - even if 90029 wasn't the main focus of the video.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, rejoice if you are also happy paying a premium!

I get it and I am glad it is available, but with prices spiralling (and threatening to go further) it sticks in the throat a bit. Still, not as bad as the red team and their tactics but could take a lesson from the green team!

With all that said, I'm still working out if I can move money around to afford it!

Edited by ac1874
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1