Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

MrSimon

Re: the Mk.2 (c going by the LH roof panel). Around that time many FOs were declassified to become SOs; I don't know if it applied to any in that livery, but someone might know (or I might find something in my old Platform 5 books). The parts on the underframe can be rearranged without too much trouble. Drop me an e-mail.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting selection of stock. Your mk2 is ahead of mine in terms of refurbishment. Having posed some questions on these a month or so back and received lots of helpful answers I still have yet to take that project any further.

• RMweb Premium

Hi

Interesting selection of stock. Your mk2 is ahead of mine in terms of refurbishment. Having posed some questions on these a month or so back and received lots of helpful answers I still have yet to take that project any further.

It is a bit of a mixed bag of stock - one of the perils of club modelling is a workbench full of stock that will never run on your own layout! The MK2s have been almost finished in a box for a while and then over the summer I "accidentally" ordered too many ventillators for the Thompon's so the MK2s could be finished off... They were quite good projects, I don't normally like doing coaches. Are your MK2s going to run on Avonwick?

Re: the Mk.2 (c going by the LH roof panel). Around that time many FOs were declassified to become SOs; I don't know if it applied to any in that livery, but someone might know (or I might find something in my old Platform 5 books). The parts on the underframe can be rearranged without too much trouble. Drop me an e-mail.

That would be great thank you - I'll work out the email thing and send one over :) The standard class one I mentioned is from one of your inlays and has a centre door, I'm guessing that will make it different to the FO?

Ooo I worked out how multiquote works! Now for email...

Simon

• RMweb Premium

It is a bit of a mixed bag of stock - one of the perils of club modelling is a workbench full of stock that will never run on your own layout! The MK2s have been almost finished in a box for a while and then over the summer I "accidentally" ordered too many ventillators for the Thompon's so the MK2s could be finished off... They were quite good projects, I don't normally like doing coaches. Are your MK2s going to run on Avonwick?

They might run as a rail tour fleet, if I get round to converting them, but they are more for the long term future layout.

The standard class one I mentioned is from one of your inlays and has a centre door, I'm guessing that will make it different to the FO?

Yup, either Mk.2 or Mk.2a, depending on the style of corridor doors used. That roof panel will have to come off, though. The underframe is almost the same as the Mk.2c.

• RMweb Premium

Hi

I'm pretty sure the roof panel came off the SO, I followed the instructions that came with the sides :) Are the underframe bits on the instructions too? I'll have to dig them out if they are!

All the best

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

I'll have a look what version I've got when I'm back in Helsinki, but theres some more inserts (etc) I'd like to order next year so I could maybe get a revised version then if I don't have one already biggrin.gif

I think de-classifying the first class MK2 is definately the way forward, I've been having a closer look at the pictures I'd found of what I thought were firsts and found they were first brakes:

http://neilharvey4789.fotopic.net/p64163111.html
http://neilharvey4789.fotopic.net/p56033457.html

How hard do you think it would be to repaint a window strip from grey to NSE blue?

I managed to get out of Helsinki last night, complete with the almost finished O1 which got picked up in security and I had to show it to the security guard - so here it is back in the UK:

post-6199-0-87328500-1504129636.jpg
I REALLY must number it.

Happy Christmas everyone biggrin.gif

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hello everybody!

Hope you all had a Happy Christmas smile.gif I know I did! I think Santas little helper raided the Dapol open day this year because as well as three 2nd class coaches for my pretendolino set Santa bought me this:

post-6199-0-11361100-1504129424.jpg
I'm not sure if I'll ever use the DVT unless the coaches come out, but I'll definitely give the loco a weather and use it on Gresby. Its the first time I'd seen a Dapol 67 up close and I must say I'm very impressed.

Whilst trapped in Newark over Christmas I read the N Gauge Journal and the letter on the back page struck a definite chord with me. Next year I'm going to finish my UFOs on top of the work remaining on Gresby. I think I'll do it monthly, either on this thread or start a new one. To start off, I finally finished the O1 and handed it over:

post-6199-0-82379800-1504129423.jpg
I really don't like numbering steam engines. A late change to the spec was my dad deciding he wanted Westinghouse Pumps adding so it could be numbered as a Tyne Dock engine. It would have been better to have been given the pumps in Helsinki so I could get the paint the same as the rest of the boiler:

post-6199-0-19141600-1504129423.jpg
They look OK though. The engine is made from a Union Mills GC tender with no motor or gear worm, a Bachmann 8F chassis, a Langley B1 body, N Brass buffers and I think the Westinghouse Pumps were made by Mr Foxhunter, but I might be wrong. It runs well and is quite strong (but not as strong as a Union Mills or one of the new Dapols). I'm quite glad its off my desk, now I can start with the UFOs!

Happy New Year!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Kris!

I had to file the backs of the pumps slightly and cut notches in the handrails, but I managed to get them in gauge so the O1 turned out OK. Its with my Dad now for use on 'Farndon Road' at Bingham MRC.

Last night I managed to get one last piece of modelling done - a stock tray for the Pretendolino set:

post-6199-0-09775200-1504129125.jpg
The stock trays fit into metal LP boxes from HMV, each tray can hold upto twelve Mark 3s or 24 HAA length wagons. As the Pretendolino is nine coaches plus DVT there is space in the tray for a dummy class 158, so I cut the lid in two so I can either open the Prendolino side or the DMU.

Also last night I picked out the first of my UFOs - there are some quick finishes and some longer projects:

post-6199-0-98284900-1504129130.jpg
A J39 kit I seem to have been (not) building forever.

post-6199-0-98094100-1504129131.jpg
Must apply transfers and post back to Newark...

post-6199-0-46385900-1504129132.jpg
Some LNER tenders I've been putting off finishing for ages. They need filing out underneath so they'll fit onto a Farish tender chassis. They seem to take forever and cover me in resin dust, so these are the only three Dads getting!

post-6199-0-51577500-1504129133.jpg
I can't even remember what this was for!

post-6199-0-00509000-1504129133.jpg
A 4CEP thats been in the halfdone box for years.

post-6199-0-31436700-1504129124.jpg

post-6199-0-64738600-1504129124.jpg

post-6199-0-00627900-1504129134.jpg

post-6199-0-51265900-1504129134.jpg
I'm going to de-classify the FO and the rest need the pain touching up (SO) the roof sticking down (BTO) and the underframes altering

post-6199-0-50822700-1504129131.jpg
I need to do some work on this, I don't like that the yellow bands that go round the front are a different colour to the warning panel. I'm not sure if I need to match the panel to the stripe. Also, the stripes need fettling a bit so the white can't be seem. Then it needs weathering.

I'm starting work on the pub on Gresby later today.

Lots to do!

Happy New Year

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hello Everybody!

There has been some actual work on Gresby today - I have started on the pub biggrin.gif

post-6199-0-04906900-1504128973.jpg
My only worry is, I think its a bit tall. I wanted it to be three floors plus attic rooms, so the roof had to be a bit taller than the shop...

post-6199-0-75057400-1504128972.jpg
When put in position I just can't tell, the apex with an attic window is maybe a bit high, but the lower bit at the back is possibly too low. There will be a hipped roof joining the sideways roof and going to the front of the pub.

Maybe I should loose 5mm from the front? What do you think?

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Jez!

I'm still undecided about the window in the gable and where to put skylights. I've only built the skeleton of the building so far, I cut windows in the mounting board before glueing the sides because its easier than cutting them out later on.

I reduced the height of the front section by 7mm and it looks almost how I'd imagined - tomorrow is plasticard day!

Lots to do

Simon

Hi Simon

Great work and always nice to see folks doing interesting stuff in N gauge.

Can I ask how you made or where you sourced the steps for the O1, I'm looking for something similar for some 2-6-4 4MTs, your look good.

keep up the good work, all the best

regards

Craig

ps Where about in Finland do you live, I spend time in Tampere regularly with work.

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Thanks for your comments, I'm in Toolo in Helsinki :)

The O1 steps were scratchbuilt from plasticard, I had to make a cab floor and then hung the steps from the floor with thicker bits of plasticard behind for strength. The step treads are made from two layers of the thinnest evergreen strips I could find.

Thanks

Simon

Hi,

Thanks for your comments, I'm in Toolo in Helsinki :)

The O1 steps were scratchbuilt from plasticard, I had to make a cab floor and then hung the steps from the floor with thicker bits of plasticard behind for strength. The step treads are made from two layers of the thinnest evergreen strips I could find.

Thanks

Simon

You've done well, I wondered if they might have constructed. I've tried a few times to make steps using that technique but never found they had the strength.

I keep meaning to take the train from Tampere down to Helsinki for a day trip, can't be too much british N gauge modellers in Finland at any one time!!

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

If only it was the extent of the UFOs - as things get done they'll be replaced on the UFO list but I'd like to get everything on the present list finished by the end of the year - and I'm not starting a new (non-Gresby) project without finishing one of the UFOs first!

The trick with the pplasticard is layers of thicker plasticard behind it. I think the steps were 1mm thick, but thinned at the edges, they then had a 2mm thick piece stuck to the back of the steps which was in turn stuck to an even thicker piece that butted up to the side of the chassis - my Dad's quite clumsy so I had to over-engineer it somewhat - I'll have to see how it holds up. It seems to have been the one bit of modelling this year that I didn't take photos of!

The trains pretty quick, I had a day trip to Tampere a couple of years ago (it rained but seemed nice) I think theres a model club in Helsinki but I've not been

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Hi Chinahand

The attic window will only be 6x4(mm) on the detailed plasticard layer, I make the windows much bigger on the stronger card layer to give me room to stick down the window details while remaining flush at the front. Also its easier to cut the windows accurately on just one layer rather than two:

post-6199-0-85423300-1504128893.jpg
When its painted up the two layers will be glued together and no one will see the card smile.gif

Cheers

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Alan - just hope my eyesight holds out until I get it finished!

This afternoon I got most of the side of the pub finished, just two more chimneys and some bits adding below the roof and then I'l be ready for the front, the back and the roof to do:

post-6199-0-03487700-1504128656.jpg
The small square in the brick at the bottom left is where I went wrong on the top window. I've decided to keep the detail low from the middle downwards because it won't be visible behind the viaduct, most of the detail work will be on the roof and top storey. The front and rear will be detailed too because they'll be visible from the sides.

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Kris,

For the detail at the top of the chimneys I have been cutting out strips of plasticard either one or two brick courses high and sticking them to the top - I took some pictures of the one I did this evening which should explain it a bit better:

post-6199-0-45806500-1504128497.jpg
A bit blurry but hard to photograph! One and two brick high strips of plasticard.

post-6199-0-97711500-1504128496.jpg
Basic chimney

post-6199-0-95741500-1504128497.jpg
Two brick high strip added to the top

post-6199-0-65408200-1504128498.jpg
Single tier strip added to the 2 brick layer to give a step, 4 brick high bit added lower down the chimney. I'll add detail like the mortar stuff on the top and chimney pots later on. The chimneys will also have pub signs on to attract trade from the passing trains.

post-6199-0-46727500-1504128496.jpg
The chimney I made yesterday

post-6199-0-44135200-1504128499.jpg
The nearly finished side - tomorrow the front and the rear...

Lots to do

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 5