New Boy.

Penrice09

Returning to 00 gauge after many years away and would welcome any advice on offer.

Only space available 72" x 18", therefore a layout comprising of 2 baseboards 36" x 18" which will be stored in a wardrobe.

Would like passenger and goods facilities, I would assume a branchline and tank loco's. Era 50/60's [the days of my youth], Southern or Great Western,therefore any track plan suggestions would be appreciated, perhaps I am asking to much in such a limited space.

Analogue or DCC control for such a small layout?

Thanks.

Here's something I prepared earlier:

post-16793-0-74007700-1406109775_thumb.jpg

Southern region - has a third rail passenger line and a goods line.

Fiddleyard is cassettes.

Basic operation would be 2 car EMU arrival, pull back into storage, a second set comes from storage ready for departure then departs.

Goods facilities would allow a pick up goods to arrive and shunt the sidings with some slightly convoluted running around.

It could also operate with a push pull, DMU or 2 coach suburban set with a tank engine

If the layout can not be erected permanently if you could add another 3' for a fiddle yard you would have more options.  CJ Freezers 60 plans for small railways that can be picked up on ebay for very little has a few ideas. But the micro layout approach as Jon1066 suggests would be the way to go if you can't. Have a look at the gauge O guilds small layouts booklet which is on here somewhere for more of the same. The advantage of a layout this size is you will have it up and running relatively quickly. Download Scarm & have a play yourself. Planning is part of the fun. 

Archived