S&T Information Booklet Needed

Does anyone have either a copy for sale or a digital version of the booklet "British Railway Signalling Practice - Mechanical".  This is a combined volume of  3 re-issued IRSE 'Green Booklets' and appears to be as rare as the proverbial rocking horse leavings.  Thanks in advance for any help given.

Edited by sml1983

• RMweb Gold

What it needs is someone to reprint this, originally printed by Peter Kay (1-899890-24-60) in the early 1990's, very useful to preservationists, and modellers. and no, I will not sell my copy. :sungum:  

And my original is not for sale either.  This book was one of the two which were effectively the precursors of the IRSE series.

I would however sound a little hint of warning - a lot of what appears in this one and the IRSE series is basic stuff and while very useful to have asa  starting point it can differ quite considerably from the practice of individual companies and ideally needs to be read in conjunction with Company/BR Region information (if you can get it).  Also these publications are all technical and are thus a bit divorced from the operational side which played quite a part in deciding what signalling was needed and how it would be worked - an area needing further exploration if you are really interested.

• Agree 1

True enough, there again from the same publisher there was the reprint of 'Railway Signal Engineering (Mechanical) by Lewis enlarged by Fraser, and 'Mechanical Railway Signalling' by Raynar-Wilson which more or less takes care of those things you mentioned Mike.

Edited by bike2steam

• RMweb Gold

An excellent book - if you can find it (and it helps if you like the L&Y) is 'The First Principles of Signalling' by C.B. Byles although a bit dated in that it was published in 1920.  However it is very good on early stuff and covers principles quite well, and it is well written and very readable.  It has the advantage of being about signalling as much as being about signal engineering.

• Like 1

Agree with that a brilliant book and yours from free or $14. I downloaded mine, legitimately, from the University of California library via an online project called Gutenberg, not sure if it still exists. It is also available as a paperback for $14.24 from Amazon. Mikes obviously got the later edition he got at primary school in 1920, mine is dated 1910.

• 6 years later...
On 27/07/2014 at 16:19, Godders said:

Agree with that a brilliant book and yours from free or $14. I downloaded mine, legitimately, from the University of California library via an online project called Gutenberg, not sure if it still exists. It is also available as a paperback for $14.24 from Amazon. Mikes obviously got the later edition he got at primary school in 1920, mine is dated 1910.

https://archive.org/stream/firstprincipleso00bylerich?ref=ol#page/n7/mode/2up

• RMweb Gold

Another old book is 'Modern Railway Signalling' by Tweedie and Lascelles. This was originally published c1925 with two reprints shortly after. My copy belonged to my grandfather who bought it not long after it was published. I don't know if there is an ebook of it available.

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Another old book is 'Modern Railway Signalling' by Tweedie and Lascelles. This was originally published c1925 with two reprints shortly after. My copy belonged to my grandfather who bought it not long after it was published. I don't know if there is an ebook of it available.

Yes, an excellent book - i have a 1st edition and it has smom very useful drawings in it as well.

• Like 1