See this little wagon over in “RNAD Dean Hill - Suitable wagon kits?” - for a picture of a this little tool van for internal us at the docks.
post-6220-0-40401500-1406313852.jpg

I've used the Graphic Image Manipulation Program – Perspective Tool to stretch the ¾ view into a side view, there is a bit of distortion but the image gives the rough proportions of the wagon length to height.
post-6220-0-42900500-1406313867.jpg

Looks like it may be made from spare parts and broken wagon bits, a sort of full size wagon bash. I could do that if I had enough bits in the scrap box.

I've got some sort of GWR steel chassis and some ends from an old open wagon kit from Kenline.
I've cut a section out of the middle of the chassis to make a short wheel base and built a box to glue the sides on. The blue plastic is 40 thousandth of an inch or 1mm thick.

post-6220-0-31673200-1406313887_thumb.jpg
After careful measuring and cutting out it is too tall.

post-6220-0-37254700-1406313912_thumb.jpg
Ends stuck on and sides reduced in height.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

post-6220-0-94176900-1407784226_thumb.jpg

The sides are on cut from Evergreen 2.5mm spacing V groovee sheet, the veegroovess show up as planking effect very nicely. The roof plugs into the top and is made by taping some 20 thou ( 0.5 mm ) plastic around a large pickle jar and pouring boiling hot water into it from a kettle so that the plastic takes up the curve of the jar when it has all cooled down. The curved roof is then supported on longitudinal strips stuck to a base rectangle of any suitable thickness, in this case 40 thou or 1 mm plasticard.

I've started to prepare the couplings by super gluing them to rectangle of plasticard.

I'll use MJT cast white metal buffers. The rest of the details will come from either some Maily Trains wagon strapping etches or an old packet of Kenline wagon detailing parts I got at a swop meet.

Not a tool van - I was told they were used to move explosives round the dockyard (presumably too much explosive in one place was considered a bad idea).

That is my photograph - these vehicles (there are two) are now at Beamish. They arrived there via the now defunct Army museum at Beverley.

http://www.ws.vintagecarriagestrust.org/ws/WagonInfo.asp?Ref=11311

http://www.ws.vintagecarriagestrust.org/ws/WagonInfo.asp?Ref=11312

• 3 weeks later...

post-6220-0-70866000-1409930076_thumb.jpg

A progress report, detail added. from bits of plasticard and some plastic rivet strip from 

Kenline wagon detailing bits and pieces. An old packet for sale at an exhibition sales stall.

I suppose the modern equivalent is the etched brass wagon strapping details from Mainly Trains.

Brake gear to come.

• Like 4

Thanks Lloyd ( GWR88 ), it not 009 it's 00 standard gauge, it's just a small prototype.

Much in the spirit of the prototype, it's all made out of spare parts. The brake gear is a mix from kits plastic and metal, standard gauge and 009.

post-6220-0-07546100-1410349015_thumb.jpg

The perils of close up photography, ouch that right hand coupling does look wonky.

As it's going to run on an imaginary quarry railway I think it can be used for tools or gunpowder and explosives.

And as it's made on the cheap it only has a brake on one wheel.

post-6220-0-58386800-1410349001_thumb.jpg

The second photo shows it next to a RCH 16 foot wagon to show it's smallness.

Looks like the buffer on the coal wagon has been in a rough shunt.

Edited by relaxinghobby
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Should it have a lift off roof section for loading ? it seems strange to put extra joints in a roof if not and depth charges or mines are heavy items to fit in a van otherwise. I wouldn't want to be handballing 40mm cannon shells either to fill a 5 ton van......

The photo at the top of this thread shows the prototype with the centre section of the roof in a state of collapse.

Perhaps this was a lift of lid.

It is a very small wagon you could not get much into it, certainly not all the shells for a battle ship maybe not even a single mine.

Perhaps it was used to carry the rum or the captains gin, would it be big enough for that even?

I've spent ages correcting that wonky coupling.

Edited by relaxinghobby

• RMweb Premium

Royal Navy Ammunition Depot that is what it was so shells, rockets, bombs,depth charges mines and torpedoes. Other stores were usually in the dockyards a ship would be 'stored' everything on board but not ammunition which was loaded away from the dockyard usually one ship at a time......

• 4 weeks later...

post-6220-0-97744800-1412958750_thumb.jpg

Now it's had several coats of light grey paint, which have been done using Humbrol No 196.

I have been practising my dry brushing techniques using acrylic paints. Using a dark brown around around

the springs and dark grey over body detail as it shows up rivet nicely.

Here it is along side a Hornby 9 foot wheelbase wagon as a size comparison.

Edited by relaxinghobby
  • Like 3

• 7 years later...
Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

This is a very interesting build, we are just starting a diorama of a 1950s army camp and MoD wagons are of particular interest. Not sure if the Dean Hill wagon is suitable but we have a couple of questions about wagons used in military traffic. 

There are not too many images of military traffic in the 1950s some guesswork is needed based on Paul Bartlett’s website and Don Rowland’s work. Presumably all wagons were standard fitted BR, the vans were  sealable/lockable but I cannot remember Iron Minks in use apart from internal use at various ROFs and RNADs. Otherwise they arrived/departed in normal goods trains unless anyone has clearer memories and can fill in some of the details.

We intend to simply use a few standard fitted vans being moved around by a Ruston device, certainly nothing larger than the 88. 

If we copy the practice from Chilmark, the MoD shunter trundled down to the exchange sidings (off scene) with a few outgoing vans and brought back whatever had been deposited by BR. 

Does anyone have more information?

Thanks and StaySafe