Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Currently Drinking...

Indomitable026

• RMweb Premium

Yesterday while waiting for my bus in 'spoons I tried one of their festival beers, 'Dead Parrot' by Black Sheep.  I said to the barmaid (about 18 and fairly new) "You know I'll have to bring this back and complain."  Totally blank look, followed by confusion.  I had to explain the bare bones of the Dead Parrot sketch; she'd never seen Monty Python.  Sparkling wit totally wasted!  Beer's OK.

• Funny 7

Ah, 'Spoons... I'm becoming increasingly worried about them, we've had some dire experiences in them recently with especially poor beer which wasn't our experiences a year or two back. The latest was in Stourbridge where my pint was so bad I took it back, got a pint of something else (replaced with no argument which was a plus) and I gave up with that one as well. We ended up in The Duke William, a Craddocks pub, and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone having to wait for a bus/train in that town! (I'd also recommend the one in Droitwich as well!)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

40 minutes ago, petethemole said:

Yesterday while waiting for my bus in 'spoons I tried one of their festival beers, 'Dead Parrot' by Black Sheep.  I said to the barmaid (about 18 and fairly new) "You know I'll have to bring this back and complain."  Totally blank look, followed by confusion.  I had to explain the bare bones of the Dead Parrot sketch; she'd never seen Monty Python.  Sparkling wit totally wasted!  Beer's OK.

Last week I picked up ‘The Flock’, the pack of six Black Sheep beers, from Morrisons for £9 and one of them was Holy Grail. I shall mention to my housemates that drinking it may cause one to say ‘Ni!’ randomly, or that there might be spontaneous requests to cut down a tree with a herring... :D

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

A veritable bargain in the form of a Bavarian black lager beer brewed by "And Union" of Germany.

Waitrose St Ives had these cans reduced from £1.80 to 55p.IMG_20211024_200900_338.jpg.a31d147b9893813e0d9abb984c6afebf.jpg 

Rich and toasty and very reminiscent of  Czech Dunkel.

5% ABV in strength.

Recommended !

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

A veritable bargain in the form of a Bavarian black lager beer brewed by "And Union" of Germany.

Waitrose St Ives had these cans reduced from £1.80 to 55p.IMG_20211024_200900_338.jpg.a31d147b9893813e0d9abb984c6afebf.jpg 

Rich and toasty and very reminiscent of  Czech Dunkel.

5% ABV in strength.

Recommended !

Full price in Waitrose Lymington, grrrrrrh!

• Friendly/supportive 2

55 minutes ago, black and decker boy said:

I grew up with Sam Smiths on special nights out so have a soft spot for Taddy Porter & Oatmeal Stout. When I stocked up recently they had launched a winter ale so I’ve indulged 

A lovely smooth malty darkish, full bodied flavour 

5E97213F-8F0C-4550-92F4-C919C3F1B1B4.jpeg.deebecb8f207e96be1f3f1b317c09157.jpeg

Best of the best !

• Like 2

Norwich Beer Festival currently on. Not gone this year as there may be young(ish) Covid superspreaders mixed in with the melee at the bars. So having our own at home with Maldon's Black Adder, Wantsum's Grim Reaper, and Wantsum's Black Pig, all of which is on tap at the festival. The party begins later. Wish me luck :lol:.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

40 minutes ago, geoffers said:

Norwich Beer Festival currently on. Not gone this year as there may be young(ish) Covid superspreaders mixed in with the melee at the bars. So having our own at home with Maldon's Black Adder, Wantsum's Grim Reaper, and Wantsum's Black Pig, all of which is on tap at the festival. The party begins later. Wish me luck 

40 minutes ago, geoffers said:

Norwich Beer Festival currently on. Not gone this year as there may be young(ish) Covid superspreaders mixed in with the melee at the bars. So having our own at home with Maldon's Black Adder, Wantsum's Grim Reaper, and Wantsum's Black Pig, all of which is on tap at the festival. The party begins later. Wish me luck :lol:.

I love the onset of Autumn accompanied by the availability of dark ales such as you've mentioned. Enjoy !

Edited by Black 5 Bear
Duplication
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm due my next pot of Earl Grey,  but I'm looking forward to my weekly tipple of whatever whisky I have on the go at the moment, currently an Irish brew called Clanceys. Pleasantly sippable.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, AyJay said:

I'm due my next pot of Earl Grey,  but I'm looking forward to my weekly tipple of whatever whisky I have on the go at the moment, currently an Irish brew called Clanceys. Pleasantly sippable.

Paddy is also quite pleasant although my preference is for Bushmills 12yr old malt Irish.

Enjoy !

• Like 1

Help required with a dilemma, as we are almost at war with the french, I need to find a suitable replacement for Beaujolais as we are boycotting anything that comes from there, I shall miss my bo-jolly but needs must...................................

• Like 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Help required with a dilemma, as we are almost at war with the french, I need to find a suitable replacement for Beaujolais as we are boycotting anything that comes from there, I shall miss my bo-jolly but needs must...................................

Sacrifices, but remember it's for a noble cause lol !:D

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

In view of the Auld Alliance between Scotland and France, I shall happily be drinking more than one glass of Burgandy tomight - it'll go well with the coq-au-vin.   :D

DT.

• Funny 4

4 hours ago, Torper said:

In view of the Auld Alliance between Scotland and France, I shall happily be drinking more than one glass of Burgandy tomight - it'll go well with the coq-au-vin.   :D

DT.

You do know it's a Scottish boat that they have hi-jacked..................................................................it'll be wee jimmie crankie versus napolean "short @rse" macron, handbags at dawn................

• Like 2

9 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

7 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Sacrifices, but remember it's for a noble cause lol !:D

4 hours ago, Torper said:

DT.

28 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

You do know it's a Scottish boat that they have hi-jacked..................................................................it'll be wee jimmie crankie versus napolean "short @rse" macron, handbags at dawn................

Time to fire up the ....................

F4DD9EE0-2FE8-4112-8638-E51699A4EA45.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

You do know it's a Scottish boat that they have hi-jacked..................................................................

Sadly, not quite so Scottish as it might seem.  The Cornelis Gert Jan (Scottish?) is owned by MacDuff Shellfish of Peterhead, but MacDuff is wholly owned by Premium Brands of Canada which operates largely in North America.  The vessel appears to be registered in Dumfries, but has been fishing out of Shoreham in Sussex.  As it operates under the UK flag it is unfortunately a UK matter so we are reliant on the diplomatic skills of Mr Johnson.

The thought of that has made me turn to something truly Scottish, a very welcome dram of Glen Scotia Campbeltown single malt.  And very nice too.  But truly Scottish? Oh dear.  A quick bit of research reveals that GlenScotia is owned by the Loch Lomond Group which itself was recently taken over by Hillhead Capital Management which is based in Beijing, Hong Kong and Singapore.  Is nothing as it seems?

DT

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I went for a pint at one of my locals with a friend last night and had a couple of pints of stout. First was Milk Stout by Bristol beer factory at 4.5% and very pleasant followed by Voodoo stout at 5% from Ossett brewery. I preferred the milk stout more to my taste but my friend was the other way round. 

But on the bar was Sarah Hughes dark ruby at 6%. This used to be labelled as dark ruby mild but they have dropped the mild from the pump clip. Unfortunately this wasn't going on until one of the others has run out. So I am hoping that there will be still be some available on Friday when my next visit is planned. 

20211102_211558.jpg

20211102_183121.jpg

20211102_183054.jpg

Edited by airnimal
  • Like 4