Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

• RMweb Gold

Thanks guys, I knew it was doomed from the start when I bought it and googled why it looked like a banana, the body to be fare has gone back to shape apart from a few cracks each end and the Middle.

I suppose I can use the motor in another loco, I'm not very well up on ripping apart locos but could the motor be used in a Bachmann loco?? Just incase I have sny dodgy runners?

It does put me off buying a 31 as well though, especially second hand :O

Thanks again, Paul

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear!!!!That's some pretty amazing destruction PaulSorry to see thatPhil

Send some mineral wagons down to Edgelane Phil and I'll fill them up with poor old 1733 and send them back to Abbitswood ;)

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Is it worth complaining to Heljan? It seems a pretty decent company, keen to improve its market share in Britain- and the Danes are well known for good customer care.

I think if I would of bought it new from a shop they'd replace it but a dodgy ebay buy mightn't count :)

I was gutted at the time but I new it was just one of those things to learn by, I only got it out today to see what was salvageable off it, but I was quite surprised with how much it had deteriated over the last couple of years.

It also aloud me to take one last photo of 1733, albeit getting towed to the scrap merchants.

post-18716-0-73080100-1423936481_thumb.jpg

Paul

• Like 1

Hi Paul,

Only a few of the Heljan 47's had this problem, and it was a bit random, but all around the same time frame, as the problem was addressed with later chassis blocks.

As for the Hornby class 31 chassis explosion problem, there were only a couple of examples, a BR Blue 31 270, and a 31110 in either 'Dutch' or R/F Redstripe. Hornby are now offering £100 vouchers for the return of their models with the problem, the vouchers can only be spent in the Hornby shop/website. :drag:

I don't know of any Heljan compensation.

The problem was an impurity in the metal alloy of the chassis block, that expanded (grew!!!) and thus cracked plastic bodies. Even if you try to repair the chassis, it will still grow in the affected area!!! :O

Hope that helps

Jinty ;-) 

• RMweb Gold

Send some mineral wagons down to Edgelane Phil and I'll fill them up with poor old 1733 and send them back to Abbitswood ;)

Paul

Was tempted to post along those lines but thought it was too cruel following your misfortune!

Phil

Even if you do glue the bits back together, the expansion and cracking will still continue. Best action is once you see evidence of it, dismantle it quickly and that way you will save the body and running gear.

I don't think it is a case of "brittle" in the normal sense, but instead impurities causing chemical reactions and degradation of the alloy, which means it expands and cracks.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all the info, I tried to get the body off when I bought it but I knew it would just break taking it off, so I boxed it up and just stuck it on a shelf, I suppose the body will be ok on a new chassis etc.

At the end of the day it gave it's life to save others ;) if you can't laugh you'd cry!!

And Phil I'd say great minds think alike but mine ain't great hahaha

There's a poor old withdrawn Lima 08 soon to be passing through ELJ in a very poor state to. Thanks for all the replies and great info guys it's much appreciated.

Thanks to all, Paul

• RMweb Gold

Ile see whats in the "Bachmann" pipe line Paul...in the way of 47s :senile: :whistle:

You and your big teasing stick!!!!!! (That doesn't sound right :( )

Thanks Neil, once Feb is out if the way I should be able to start saving some penny for ELJ and locos, been a mad two months paying out and doing a surprise party for my mums 70th next week has skint me :(

Thanks again mate

Paul

If the bloke's got any sense, he'll hang on to it, put right the known Lima defects (the body, chassis, wheels, motor) and keep it running- at least the chassis is plastic.

There's a poor old withdrawn Lima 08 soon to be passing through ELJ in a very poor state to. Thanks for all the replies and great info guys it's much appreciated.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If the bloke's got any sense, he'll hang on to it, put right the known Lima defects (the body, chassis, wheels, motor) and keep it running- at least the chassis is plastic.

The blokes me ;) picked it up for a couple of quid last year, it's a none runner so it's been condemned already, that along with a couple of tenders should make an interesting working passing through.

Thanks, Paul

• RMweb Gold

Ive just grabbed DRS 57011 this week at silly silly price!!! :whistle:

Seems Bachmann stil have fer few at the factory...

This seems a bit mad but one day I wana get a 57 and turn the clock back on it, I'll stick a headcode above the windows or something and turn it into a failed type of prototype, just love the sound of them.

Paul

If it hadn't been for my roundtuit TMD having too many future projects, I would buy one of those cheap 57s myself. I'd only need a couple of minor alterations:

- Remove, dellner coupling, reinstate previous lighting units, return the Serck louvres, use a Shawplan etch to return the exhaust port back, remove the sanding boxes (or choose one of the previous 47's that had them- the original /6's), paint yellow and blue. Oh and install a sound chip with the Sulzer engine.

Now THAT'S what to do with a 57.

Edited by Derekstuart
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Might have to bring them to "banks road" railway loco scrap yard... :senile:

I really need to give myself a kick up the @£${ and get myself over to see you mate, soz haven't had chance buddy as I really do want to start getting involved with a club, just usual everyday life seems to get in the way :(

Cheers, Paul

• RMweb Gold

If it hadn't been for my roundtuit TMD having too many future projects, I would buy one of those cheap 57s myself. I'd only need a couple of minor alterations:

- Remove, dellner coupling, reinstate previous lighting units, return the Serck louvres, use a Shawplan etch to return the exhaust port back, remove the sanding boxes (or choose one of the previous 47's that had them- the original /6's), paint yellow and blue. Oh and install a sound chip with the Sulzer engine.

Now THAT'S what to do with a 57.

Or just buy a bachy one far easier ;)