big shed for layout,

Hi Gismorail. 

I'm intrigued you have required planning permission. I live in a National Park but do not require planning permission as long as it's not bigger than half the size of the garden and is basically not taller than 4ft.  My shed is going to be 36ft by 15ft, but I've checked on planning portal and with National Parks, and no planning permission is required. The only thing I will require is building regs, but as a reputable company will be supplying my shed, that isn't a concern. Saying that, this is going to be a long project and at the moment it's going to require a lot of saving....could be ten years off for me.

That's going to be uncomfortable surely

It'll be like the geezer who built his layout in a four foot high basement under his house. I forget the name of the layout, but it appeared in one of the mags a while back. Surely you will put the shed in a two or three foot deep dugout so the roof is no higher than 4 ft above the ground level, but the shed is taller?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gismorail. 

I'm intrigued you have required planning permission. I live in a National Park but do not require planning permission as long as it's not bigger than half the size of the garden and is basically not taller than 4ft.  My shed is going to be 36ft by 15ft, but I've checked on planning portal and with National Parks, and no planning permission is required. The only thing I will require is building regs, but as a reputable company will be supplying my shed, that isn't a concern. Saying that, this is going to be a long project and at the moment it's going to require a lot of saving....could be ten years off for me.

There are some restrictions the outbuilding must not be to the side of the house and if more than 20m from the house the total of any outbuildings is 10sq m max There is also a warning there may be other restrictions. You may be alright but beware. The height is probably 4m but if you are within 2m of any boundary you are restricted to 2.5m height. Building regs may be a concern if near boundaries there is a size restriction unless essentially non combustable. Building regs is your responsibility it is up to you to check the company erecting it have got the approval and comply.

Don

That's going to be uncomfortable surely

Quite....oops 4 metre's would be better.

There are some restrictions the outbuilding must not be to the side of the house and if more than 20m from the house the total of any outbuildings is 10sq m max There is also a warning there may be other restrictions. You may be alright but beware. The height is probably 4m but if you are within 2m of any boundary you are restricted to 2.5m height. Building regs may be a concern if near boundaries there is a size restriction unless essentially non combustable. Building regs is your responsibility it is up to you to check the company erecting it have got the approval and comply.

Don

Our Garden is 17 metres in length, so thankfully I'm ok with that, and I've made sure the area around where the shed will be is 2m from each boundary. My only problem is finance and I realise it's going to be some years before I'm in a position. What this means though, is I can be building stock and planning the layout properly, so when the time comes....I will have everything in place.

Concrete section shed, asbestos sheet roof, 22' x 12' Bought & erected in 1982, dismantled and moved to new house in 1993, still virtually as good as new. The concrete sections sealed inside and out with silicone sealant applied liberally Lined inside with 2" x 2" timber frames infilled with 2" slab polystyrene, all covered with 1/2" insulation board, interior walls & roof painted light sky blue. No leaks, no condensation, and warm in winter. Will last another 32 years - question is will I ??!!!

Brit 15

• RMweb Premium

My shed is 54 ft by 12ft, though not a regular shape due to boundaries etc, the first 20ft was a commercial shed, but when I saw how it was made I realised it would be much cheaper to build the rest myself. ( taking advantage of 12 window units removed from our house during double glazing).

The disadvantage is that it would have been finished by now had I bought more commercial units, with 2 deaths in the family  200 miles from here, I've spent a huge amount of time trundeling slowly along the A17, I might with luck finish the Shed this year after 5 years!

The Q

Oh it is of course for Ludgershall and Collingbourne stations  on the MSWJR

Archived