New 7mm RTR

hartleymartin

Perhaps I've missed the conversations about this over the past few months.

Following after Ixion's Manning Wardle and Hudswell Clarke, I think we might get a few Colonel-Stephens style light railway layouts. Now that there are locomotives, brake vans and wagons all R-T-R, I think that people will be giving O scale more of a look into. Build a couple more wagons and then a couple of 4-wheel coaches, and there is the nucleus of a small O gauge layout.

I was looking around Tower Models website earlier and saw some pictures of Dapol's latest offerings:

Test sample of the "Terrier."

http://www.tower-models.com/towermodels/ogauge/Dapol/dapolloco/index.htm

prototypeterrier2.jpg

The Southern Railway fans are getting a real boon with the Terrier and the SR brakevan:

srpillboxsmall.jpg

Duplication of existing threads.

Somewhat unfair. This posting is in a 7mm forum and deals with a 7mm subject. I haven't seen any other recent Dapol threads in the 7mm forum and I just cannot be bothered to trawl through endless other threads and forums on the offchance of there being something interesting. Thanks for the post Hartleymartin.

• RMweb Premium

The problem with the other threads is that they get taken over by the headbangingley obsessive tendency who critique to the nth degree. Oops, I may upset someone!

I'll be ordering an A1, having found that two ran in LBSC livery on the Invergordon B

Harbour line in WW1, thus qualifying for my planned eventual Highland distillery layout,..Terrier genealogy tracing is quite fun, hopefully not obsessive.

Dava

The pre-production pictures give me an idea of the model's construction, so hopefully it won't be too hard to produce the Australian version. I might have to get on to a few local people to produce a kit of parts for this conversion, but it seems mostly to be the different cab, bunker, westinghouse brake compressor and much larger sandboxes which must be added and then a variety of other details removed. I don't know if I could be bothered replacing the wheels with ones minus the countweights. The cab would probably have to be in brass.

17420_a014_a014000350.jpg

6474986565_53b6e08bac_z.jpg

I have it somewhere that one or two survived into the early 1950s in industrial use, but not quite long enough to make it into the early preservation scene. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch of history that one or two were sold to collieries and worked out their days in the company of other little industrial types.

Guest Isambarduk

"I don't know if I could be bothered replacing the wheels with ones minus the counterweights."

Not insurmountable, can be done; see here:

www.davidlosmith.co.uk/GCR_Humber.htm#Wheels

David  :-)

It is somewhat unusual to an Australian O scale modeller that a company would make their own wheels. Most local models here are supplied with wheels from Slaters or NWSL. If it were a set of Slaters wheels I'd just buy and fit replacements, but it will take a little investigating to see what Dapol have done. Hopefully I won't have to replace too many parts!

The other major detail is to add all the rivets that the Australian versions had. I'm sure that there must be some company that makes some sort of decal rivet strips that will make this job easier. The other detail that I've just noticed is that they carried a locomotive jack on the front of the footplate. Not unusual here in Australia, many locomotives, especially ones that run on isolated country lines, carried jacks "just in case."

Archived