Dumb Timer/Auto-Reverse circuit

hartleymartin

I too am after something similar, although possibly even more crude. I intend to have isolated sections at the end of the line, each connected with a diode, such that when the train is approaching the buffers it stops. Then all I need is something to reverse the polarity, the diode feeds it with power and back it comes. So all I need is something that can just switch polarity every couple of minutes or so. Needless to say this is not for a finescale layout! 

• RMweb Gold

I too am after something similar, although possibly even more crude. I intend to have isolated sections at the end of the line, each connected with a diode, such that when the train is approaching the buffers it stops. Then all I need is something to reverse the polarity, the diode feeds it with power and back it comes. So all I need is something that can just switch polarity every couple of minutes or so. Needless to say this is not for a finescale layout! 

This works.

I use this method, although with much more fancy control.

Kev.

I suppose the ultimate for me would be to devise a circuit that would also control a couple of points so that you could make trains run in a sequence:

10257170_10152531514496251_6783050859651

Imagine a train each in sidings 1, 2 and 3

1.) Train A moves from Siding 1 to Siding 4
points thrown,
2.) Train B moves from Siding 3 to Siding 1

points thrown,
3.) Train C moves from Siding 2 to Siding 3

points thrown,
4.) Train A moves from Siding 4 to Siding 2

points thrown.

The sidings are now loaded again as per at the start and the cycle can begin again.

One train moves at a time, with the result being that in a period of a few minutes, each train appears in sequence, running either up or down the line.

It would be nice to be able to put a layout onto "Auto-Pilot" to take a breather at shows or to let you talk to the punters.

I suppose a simpler one would be to have a dumb timer circuit somehow rigged up so that you could get two trains to alternate going out and back, only one point to throw then. It would make it possible to have lots of movement on a fully-automated layout.

Hi

You would need to know when the train was fully inside the siding before the point can move over and allow a second train to depart. 

This IMO is where modules from the likes of Heathcote Electronics are useful (Though a little expensive!)  e.g. their SA2 or SA2-S modules working with their IRDOTs or other suitable train detection devices....  http://www.heathcote-electronics.co.uk/SAshutLp.htm#SA2 can work two trains over a single line with two sidings at each end.

But none of this can be done "Dumb'. As you need some feedback to the main auto shuttle module to show where the incoming train is and switch the point motors etc.

Not quite, in my crude method no train detection is required, the power just needs to be on long enough to ensure that the train has definately got beyond the diode and stopped. As well as reversing the polarity it could then switch the points alowing a different train to come out.  Of course there is the problem that if something goes wrong, e.g. train gets stuck on dirt, it won't know it and there is potential for a pile up!!!

Let's just say that it is a single scenic track with a single point in the off-display area. I'd be looking for something that could have two trains come out and scurry away again in alternation. I suppose that you would need the dumb timer just to be on long enough for each train to get out and back and somehow rig it that it will throw the points between each cycle.

I suppose the ultimate for me would be to devise a circuit that would also control a couple of points so that you could make trains run in a sequence:

points thrown,

points thrown,

points thrown,

points thrown.

The sidings are now loaded again as per at the start and the cycle can begin again.

One train moves at a time, with the result being that in a period of a few minutes, each train appears in sequence, running either up or down the line.

It would be nice to be able to put a layout onto "Auto-Pilot" to take a breather at shows or to let you talk to the punters.

I suppose a simpler one would be to have a dumb timer circuit somehow rigged up so that you could get two trains to alternate going out and back, only one point to throw then. It would make it possible to have lots of movement on a fully-automated layout.

I did build something along these lines (sorry no pun intended) for a small Tramway layout about twenty years ago using read switches and 12v car relays it was a bit of a Frankenstein creation wiring wise but it did work quite well, the idea being as each tram passed out of sight a magnet on the tram activated the read switch and thus a relay which started the next tram in the chain until it came back to the first tram, it was a simple round layout though.

points thrown,

points thrown,

points thrown,

points thrown.

On the MERG ATC this is Configuration C, with 3 locos. This is already programmed into the module as a standard arrangement.

Archived