RMweb

Constant power from decoders

The Black Hat

For most people an accessory decoder will probably be a better solution than a loco decoder as discussed in that thread. If you've got a few to do and you don't mind simple electronics assembly the MERG decoder gives you eight independent outputs for about ??10 (but you have to join MERG to be able to order them).

• RMweb Gold

To operate Tortoise point motors I used a Lenz accesory module with 4 small extras sold to provide a steady current. Thses are basically flip-flops which changwe when the accesory module sends a pulse. They were small enough to be connected direct to the module which supported them. Since the total demand for the five points on the layout was about 100ma I found that I could use the track power with no effect on the trains. This was using the compact to run 0 gauge on a small layout.

Since the tortoise uses about 10-16ma this would probably suit either colour lights or for semaphores the totoises could be used.

I also have a couple of devices called hares which are DCC accesory modules designed to work with the tortoise ( sold by C+L) but have not tried these yet.

Another answer if you can find any is latching relays operate these from the accesory module. Probably more expensive though.

My reason for using DCC to control points was to enable them to be operated from a walk around control. It worked well as using the small Lenz plug in cab with the compact. It was easy to transport and in use once a loco was selected the knob and forward back buttons could control the loco whilst the others worked the points. Unfortunatly the layout was damaged during a house move and I couldn't summon the enthusiasm to rebuild.

DonW

Signals can also be powered off the inbuilt switches in point motors. e.g. Tortoise motors have two.

You can also get Signal Decoders which are dedicated Accessory decoders.

Lenz's ABC modules can also sequentially operate multi-aspect colour light signals too, but you need to be running with decoders that have the ABC function built-in to take full advantage of the ABC functionality.

There are other non-DCC signal modules available too.

Archived