Gauge 3 buffers

Gauge 3 buffers, from cad to lost wax casting via 3d printing.   The masters were printed in wax on a 3d printer.   The photos dont show the detail on the nuts well.  Am chuffed with the outcome.

post-13823-0-34198500-1406747428_thumb.jpeg

cad screenshot

post-13823-0-29039700-1406747983_thumb.jpg

finished product

Very nice work these, what material is the final model made in?

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

The buffer body is in brass, the buffer heads in stainless steel.     Eventually to go onto an laser cut acrylic body, with etched brass overlays to make a GWR Toad brake van.  

post-13823-0-37455900-1406749210_thumb.jpg

am some what jealous of the smaller scales in which the whole body can be 3d printed!

• 10 months later...

sadly not,  

Am still working on it, but keep getting distracted by other things.  Am hoping to get the artwork done for the etching for the side strips and Chassis done soon.   will post updates as i get them.

That is brilliant news,

As you probably know there is a real lack of Great Western brake vans in Gauge 3. This project is looking very good, nice choice of materials, and I do hope you do a few spare sets of parts.

Are the buffer heads bought in or did you turn them yourself ? The buffer casings have come out very well.

All the best  Ian

The buffer heads are the biggest headache. Those are slaters buffer heads taken from a midland buffer. I have looked at getting quotes for getting them cnc turned but in small volumes the price is silly. A longer term plan is to get a lathe and turn them myself.

After the etch I plan to do axle boxes and springs. Masters 3d printed then cast in resin. Have done this for a side project and they came out well.

Was hoping to do some work on it tonight but computer has been taken over for home work!

Archived