Will 16v AC accessories work off a DCC bus?

F-UnitMad

Hopefully someone might know this!!

I have an old Life-Like (American) Truckstop sign that has a bulb in it that flashes. The thing is powered by 16v AC; All I had to do was connect it to the AC outlets of my analogue controller.

As I'm converting my layout to DCC, I'm wondering if this AC accessory could be powered directly from the bus wires, instead of still having to use the analogue controller. As this is for an upcoming Exhibition, the less stuff I need to take, the better!

I suppose the quickest way to find out if it works is to try it myself - but I don't want to blow or melt anything by mistake, & thought I'd ask on here first.....

(plus I don't want to have to try & find another sign like it again....!!)

I think the answer is no, because AC has a sine wave and DCC has a square wave.  Perhaps you could tap your AC transformer in advance of the DCC box.

But could an expert confirm, please.

Bill

On the whole, accessories cannot just be connected like this. If it is just something as simple as an incandescent bulb with a mechanical bimetallic flasher and you do not use Railcom feedback it should be fine, but if it has flashing electronics it will most likely not be suitable. It sounds like the sort of accessory that will work on DC and if so you can make a bridge rectifier from four fast diodes like UF4001 or similar to make it compatible with track supply.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in feedback to everyone... :blush:

Perhaps you could tap your AC transformer in advance of the DCC box.

Good idea, which I would do, but my NCE Booster is supplied by a 12v DC Transformer.

Looks like if I want the sign to work, I'll have to take my old analogue controller with me, just for the AC output. Ah well.... :scratchhead:

Thanks everyone. :thankyou:

It highly likely it will work as is. Suggest you try it.

Worst case the DCC booster will see it as a short and shut down. I can't image the DCC voltage is high enough to blow the bulb, but if you think it is running brighter, you can always add a series diode or resistor to lower the power going to it.

Andy

Archived