DCC Ready? Not really....

• RMweb Premium

OK, so I'm in a grump.

After many years modelling US railroads using DCC both hard wired and sockets, I am slowly building up some UK stock for a layout that will be Southern in outline, a new field for me.  So, I got around to fitting some decoders in recent purchases today, thinking it would be pretty straightforward as my US locos have been.

First up, from the red corner, a King Arthur.  The decoder is supposed to fit in a slot in the weight, but as this is metal they supply an insulatiing sleeve.  This is about the right size for an O scale decoder......sigh.... so insulated the decoder with tape and tried to fit it in the slot. And tried again.....30 minutes to get the damn thing in and the wires arranged to sit will go back together.  At least it runs pretty much OK, if not as good as the US stuff, which is why I left British outline modelling in the first place.  So, DCC ready?  Just, maybe, if you have the fingers of a 6 year old.

So over to the blue corner, a 4MT 2-6-0.  Just where are you supposed to fit the decoder? (After taking ages to get into the damn thing) It has a socket, yes, but no space.  Or instructions, despite being new in box.  I had to remove the weight to get the decoder in, so now of course it won't pull anything as it is so light. DCC ready? No, not until the Zen direct fit decoders hit the shelves, but this is an older model so they would not have been thought of then.

Last up was a blue box MLV - perfectly easy to fit at last, a genuinely 'DCC Ready' model.

One out of three genuinely easy to fit up, is this the way to encourage folk to use DCC?  Bear in mind I have used DCC for 17 years and fitted decoders to over 40 locos, I have never had so much hassle, and these are supposed to be DCC Ready, harrumph.

I have several more UK locos to chip, with some trepidation......

• RMweb Gold

Was that a Bachmann 4MT 2-6-0?  I found that very easy to chip and used a Lenz Standard+ decoder.  You don't need to remove the weight to fit this, but you need to put the decoder in the slot face up so that it doesn't short on anything below (this Lenz is a single-sided decoder).  As the loco has no functions you can reduce the harness by 50% by snipping out the 4 accessory wires, and this makes it easier to refit the body.  However, mine all fitted back without the need to do this.

The King Arthur runs very well with a Zimo MX623R decoder.  This fits in the smoke-box slot with no problem, and the decoder itself is insulated. However. I've fitted a Lenz Silver Mini to mine with which it seems to run better.  I just soldered the 4 wires to a spare 8-pin plug and it fits very well indeed.

Do you still have a Hornby M7 to chip? If so, I'll not spoil the fun for you ....

Hang in there Neil - I don't/didn't have the benefit of any prior experience and have discovered that UK outline also means needing three hands, 5 inch long 2mm diameter fingers to do pretty much ANYTHING with a loco!!

Far as the DCC ready of either brand I've found the only suitable solution, if using the socket, has been the TCS DP2X-UK, which is the correct orientation for the spaces provided, and whilst it will fit, the clearances are measured in thous. for the beasties - putting them back together will incite a near riot!!

These included Hornby N15,BB/WC and Bachmann 9F, Jinty and 3MTT, what fun!!! :jester:  :jester:

Wait until you try prying the body off a 4-CEP or 2-BIL!!!!!

Arrrhhhggggggg....both DCC ready and provided with an open invitation to swear like a seaman and break fitting lugs.

I was lucky that I managed to NOT break any lugs off either, but it required far more patience than and old fart such as me should have to muster :senile:

• RMweb Premium

I'm ahead of you there Ian, already done the 4-CEP and 2-BIL without resorting to too much of the language I learnt at sea!  The MLV is the same chassis too.

RFS, I should have made it clear I was using Bachmann and Hornby decoders, as one would think they would sell decoders that fit their own products, would you not?  Or I am I just being naive?  I know they aren't the best by any stretch of imagnation, but I can buy them here, but not any other makes.  Then there's the cost....  TBH in future I think I will rip out the sockets and just hard wire them, the N15 would have enough space then.

ref the EMU's above, the Hornby unit runs better with a Bachmann decoder...but the Hornby decoder worked a treat in a Bachnann diesel, better than their own.

Only DCC-Onboard I had was the Jinty, which I got for a steal over here MIB.

Lovely loco but the Bachmann decoder was complete crap. Slow speed was awful and incosistent, I replaced it with a TCS and it runs like a dream. Used the Bachmann decoder to run my home-built PECO TT motorization :)

Everything else except the 4-CEP (Bachmann 21-pin which runs smooth as silk) I use TCS, same as your reasoning Neil, they're plentiful and available at great prices here, personally I've never had any problems with about a dozen of them now, though I know some folks have reported issues...until I have the need, I'll just continue using what works for me :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived