Hinksey's current shunter?

Glorious NSE

• RMweb Gold

08888 was there for a while but ive not been there for a few weeks myself so cant confirm

they do swap with the didcot shunter every so often, the hinksey machine goes off on a nightime mainline trundle the few miles south to didcot and the didcot machine makes the opposite journey!

be an interesting catch on film if i knew when it was running!

Yeah I realised they were supplied from Didcot which is why I wondered, but another source suggests that 633 was "broken" when it went there and should have headed to Toton for repairs, but I can't see any definate proof it ever went...

The conduit and lights are a different colour to when I last shot 633 as well, so it's also possible that 633 is a red (or maroon?) herring...

Just to reference the bit about Toton - from here: http://shunterspot.myfreeforum.org/archive/08633__o_t__t_800.html

Out of traffic since the 31st May with engine issues, the stricken 08 didn't leave Margam until the 20th June. Reported to be Toton bound, it was infact deposited at Didcot, to where it was quickly moved inside the small shed. A move to the East Midlands for attention will more than likely go ahead in the near future, as the maintenance shed have little or no facilities for undertaking such repairs.

It's 08879 at Hinksey. 

08888 should have gone away on the same lorry that bought 08633 down which is why it was facing Reading as this the way round they wanted it where ever it would have been off loaded. But the driver refused to take it as it had fuel in the tank. Bit of luck he didn't take it as it turned out as 08633 was basket case.

By the way I had a little mainline trip with 08888 at Didcot last week, well just round the triangle to turn it. It was doing my back in shunting with it with the nose facing Reading.

Thanks Brian, that's great - I can add that image now! :)

If anyone's interested, the rest of the pics are here: http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/Daybyday/2014/2014-08-03-Oxford-Hinksey-yard#!/ - i'll add the other one in tonight.

Includes a very funky Colas orange twin-jib crane if you like that kind of thing. ;) 

YJB_78226_DRC_Oxford_Hinksey_03082014%20

Archived