This Week - Hornby Ex-Virgin Mk3 Coaches

Hroth

:offtopic: not seen that DVT livery that's on the end of the WSMR Virgin combo

https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_prisoner/4337369732/in/photostream/

That was the transition phase when Chiltern were 'co-operating' \ 'partnering' with WSMR and starting to run some of their services jointly IIRC. The DVT is in Chiltern Blue & white. It was repainted silver when Chiltern absorbed the whole operation and decided to market the LHCS as Mainline Silver.

• 7 months later...

I thought the TGS was Hornby supplying a MK3 brake coach on the cheap. But, doing some research, I have found that the Midland Mainline Project Rio, used ex Virgin sets around 2004. There are a number of videos showing debranded virgin hst mk3 stock with Rio power cars. Some times it looks like a clearance sale at your local model shop!

Everytime liveries have changed on rolling stock there is a transition period of very mixed liveries. Earlier in this thread there are good examples of this on the Greater Anglian line from London Liverpool Street to Norwich. Anglian,ex Virgin and One.

I was with MML during Project Rio, and for a while we did have ex Virgin HST's  some running as 5 car sets initially.  Also for the first couple of months of Project Rio, MML had on hire a set from FGW, in 'Fag Packet' Livery, power cars I believe were 43005 & 43009.  Also at one point this set got split and we had a set for a few days with a mix of VT, GW, MML green & MML blue.  So you can justify mixing on your layout. :)

Regards

John,

That is great to find someone who was there at the time. I have been looking for set numbers and formations, but have drawn a blank. I can get the mk3 and class 43 numbers that were in Rio livery from the spotter books. Videos and pictures only give you the livery formation, not the actual numbers. Thanks again.

Archived