Kernow Model Rail Centre announcement 15/8

Paul.Uni

• RMweb Gold

My apologies to the good Captain,

I originally rated your post as funny, I've now correctly rated it as informative/useful! :jester:

Where would my modelling be without his little known "historical" pearls of wisdom.

(Still looking for that picture of the Beyer-Garrat on the Highbridge milkie tho??)

• RMweb Gold

But why would "Judy" (1937) or "Alfred" (1953) have a 1909 restricted clearance plate? Wouldn't they be fitted with a newer one?

Luke

The plate is a standard GWR plate fitted to engines large and small (they crop up in most railwayana auctions)

My understanding is that such plates were dated so that it could easily be seen which version of the particular plate it was. If the plate was designed in 1909 and the wording not subsequently updated then it would continue to have the 1909 date, even when fitted to locos built much later

Oddly if you check the RMWeb page

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/51212-little-didcot/?p=798844

there are some photos of 1363 under restoration and it seems to be in the same sort of condition as the pic's Kernow have posted.

The 1361 class were built as up dated Cornish Mineral Railway (tick) and they worked Plymouth, St. Blazey and Looe (tick), so they were port loco's (tick) and china clay (tick).

Fingers crossed...

Luke

Archived