Brynamman station help needed

Earl Bathurst

Hi

I am after track diagrams for the lms Brynamman station. I haven't had much luck so far. I have a couple of pictures of the platform and station buildings but thats it. If anyone has any infomation, track diagrams or pictures that would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Scott

Signalling record society have this:

http://www.s-r-s.org.uk/html/mid/S1963.htm

You need to look in secondhand book shops for:

53 SWANSEA VALE (MID.):

R. A. Cooke

Swansea to Brynamman, Upper Bank to Glais (via Clydach), Gurnos to Clayphon and Caelliau branch

Finally this may take a trip to Carmarthen or to Swansea depending upon which local authority holds the records for that area. The county records office will have old maps which should give details. You will need at least 1:2500 or equivalent.

• RMweb Premium

If you go to:

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html

and put in co-ordinates 271222 and 213923 you will find the relevant maps. They have several 1:2500 maps available between 1877 and 1962, although none between 1918 and 1962. The maps show both the Great Western and Midland stations.

David

Scott

A good source of research material is the Welsh Railway Research Circle. They have an extensive library and photo collection which includes WTTs. All can be borrowed by members. They have a system of Line Experts who can advise.

Your local library can advise you of books, or if they are advanced you should be able to search the entire catalogue online for the county. Inter library loans are useful and cost a very small amount.

There is a good history of the LMS lines in South Wales by Dunstone and Jones covering the Midland. Don't think it has pictures of your location.

Finally Michael Hale's books on Steam in South Wales should be able to provide pictures. They are a number of volumes.

There's one photo on P89 of 'British Railways- Past and Present; South Wales Part 3.' which shows the station throat., and a very similar one (but with different 16-tonners and a slightly different angle) in 'Steam in South Wales- Volume 2, North and West of Swansea' . The most noticeable thing is the cinema in the background, which I believe is still there.

Brynamman is indeed in Carmarthenshire, so the records (if any) would be deposited at Carmarthen Archives.

I passed through the place a few times, as it was on a circular geological itinerary through the Black Mountains; the main thing I remember were the very grimy sheep everywhere.

You need to look in secondhand book shops for:

53 SWANSEA VALE (MID.):

R. A. Cooke

Swansea to Brynamman, Upper Bank to Glais (via Clydach), Gurnos to Clayphon and Caelliau branch

Scot

I've sent you a PM with regard to this.

Brian R

Cardiff

I don't think I've seen so many sheep grazing on road verges, in people's gardens and so on, all of whom had had a bath in coal slurry before going out.. Not at all like the well-groomed creatures I'd seen elsewhere..There was also a curious absence of people.

The plot thickens

One wonders if they ever migrated eastwards and became the flock of feral sheep that terrorised the inhabitants of Pontycymmer ?

I passed through the place a few times, as it was on a circular geological itinerary through the Black Mountains; the main thing I remember were the very grimy sheep everywhere.

I assume you are talking about Black Mountain? The Black Mountains is the area bounded by Hay, Abergavenny, Tretower and Talgarth.

Regards.

I assume you are talking about Black Mountain? The Black Mountains is the area bounded by Hay, Abergavenny, Tretower and Talgarth.

Regards.

Always confused between the two, but I'm sure my field notes were entitled 'Black Mountains Excursion'; we used to start near G-C-G , then drop down to the Sawdde valley , and turn off the road to Llangadog towards Bethlehem.

• RMweb Premium

There are several photos in "Midland Railway Swansea Vale and Branches", Miles and Watkins, WRRC, 2004, but no track plan and none of them is a decent view of the station building. It was a simple rectangle, brick built with a pitched roof (fairly shallow pitch). One chimney. I don't think it would be worth you buying the book but it might be available from a library.

Hi Scott

Unfortunately, some of the staff their aren't the greatest. Have a look in the local history section. You may have better luck in there. As their are some locally produced books there.

This link doesn't show the station, but does have some info and images of a rail tour which ran there.

http://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/50s/550702sl.html

And whilst Googling I found a thread which Midlander started a few years back!:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/34406-the-lmsbr-in-swansea-vale/

I'm the Miles of Miles & Watkins. Sorry I have been slow to reply but I was at Butterley Railex all weekend. I have several track plans and lots of photographs. Send me an email address and I'll send you enough information to build a good model. Incidentally, work is underway on another book on the Swansea Vale - lots more photos and we will put in track plans (publisher will be Lightmoor / Black Dwarf so the production standards will be good). My email is john545miles@btinternet.com

Archived