Lobster pots

Hello all,

I'm not normally a forum person, but I am at a loss where this topic is concerned, so thought I'd throw it out there.

I am making a master for a lobster boat as a scenic accessory, first in 4mm and then in 7mm.  No problems with the boat and its gear, EXCEPT for the lobster pots themselves.  They are incredibly fiddly things, but, have boat, must have pots I reckon.

All I can come up with is an etch which does frames and net and ipost-23697-0-29245900-1408358373.jpgs then folded up and the flatness of etch rounded and softened a little by the application of PVA before painting.

What say you potential customers?

Regards,

Boatman

You might not need to worry in 7mm if it's a problem, Andy Duncan is now doing 3D printed ones, - or you could get them from him wholesale! There are both beehive and creel types available.

Alternatively if you can get the CAD work done you could produce your own and get them up on Shapeways site, there aren't any available at present, not sure how well they will translate into 4mm, but it would save the fiddle of assembly.

With regard to etches, is there any virtue in just producing the hoop shape and applying a net material afterwards? Haven't looked specifically but I'm sure a visit to the Haberdashers would produce something suitable and less uniform than etched netting.

Irrespective of the boat I would think the pots are a must for any wharf/dockside/beach type layout so should sell well on their own.

What are you using for the boat? - Resin?

Hi Peter,

thanks for the response. I didn't know about the 3D ones by Andy Duncan.  I don't suppose you have a link, do you?  I wonder if 3D would do the smaller 4mm scale.

I must admit that roughness you get with 3D would suit the lobster pot's coarse texture rather well.  I don't do CAD.  Can't get my head round it.  I'm a hand tools man, but it 3D will give us a decent lobster pot, I'll grab 'em.  Tis the end result that matters.

I think using real net to stick to a 3D frame will be just too fiddly for most.  In 4mm these are only about 8-10 mm long.  But also it may be too fine for 3D in the smaller scale.

As you say, almost any harbour/quay/beach scene needs these in abundance.

Thanks again,

Boatman

Peter, sorry, I forgot to answer your question.  Yes, the boats are to be cast in resin, with w/m and etched detail where necessary.

There will also be a small river/canal cruiser of high prow, pre-War and onwards style.

These will then be followed by narrow boats and eventually a paddle steamer (river style)

Regards,

Boatman

The real killer, Allan, is where they seem to tie the nets on the frames with a fairly chunky rope. That would be a complete PITA to reproduce well.  Even 3D printing might struggle with 4mm scale.  

I do wish Duncan Models would put a picture up on their website of their 3D printed 7mm scale pots.

Regards,

Boatman

Ask and thou shall be given the info

http://www.frenchmanriver.com/Pages/HO/Detail/hoDetail.html

http://www.bluejacketinc.com/downeast.htm  lobsters too! Granted  both of these are HO scale and another http://www.ebay.com/itm/BAR-MILLS-HO-SCALE-LOBSTER-TRAPS-8-KIT-47-/321491238541?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item4ada5efe8d#ht_1513wt_1105

I think Harburn Hobbies does them as castings in OO + other harbour-side bits  http://www.harburnhobbies.co.uk/acatalog/Quayside.html

Edit for spelling ! and Fat-finger typing!

They are new to the range, the only photo's I have seen are in the Guild Magazine, I will try to catch up with them at Telford in a couple of weeks time, they look pretty good though, as you said the 3D texture should be added value in this case.

I really could do with seeing the Duncan ones.

The American creels are nice, but they're also strongly American in design, with the flat strip construction. The British ones are very distinctively round framed with netting and there's the rub.

Can we get away with solid?  Some would say so, but I'm a fussy devil and want see through pots. Agreed, when piled up it's difficult to see through the pile, but on a boat they aren't so piled up usually. They're also usually lined up so they dry.

Thanks for the links though, gents.

I know 3D can be very fine, BUT only if you remortgage the Lambo.

Cheers,

Boatman

• RMweb Premium

Two styles of pots on a Devon beach this June:

post-16840-0-03347700-1408568401_thumb.jpg

post-16840-0-96182900-1408568425_thumb.jpg

I'm afraid no ideas re how to actually model them though. I've been wondering on and off for a while (I have quayside layout myself) but no [sensible] ideas. I did try something similar to Allan's tights idea - didn't work for me either... 

• 2 weeks later...

Now that's something I've never seen!

The usual rough old finish of 3D printed items would be a positive benefit here!

I'll pass this on to my client, but I fancy it might be a bit of a recent development.  Might even be just one smart lobsterman!

Regards,

Boatman

• 1 year later...

I've been struggling making lobster pots for ages.  This is my latest effort using half Knightway barrels, curtain net and Stripstyrene base - 4mm scale  The earlier awful attempt is shown on the diorama pic.

post-2199-0-55383300-1467462007_thumb.jpg

post-2199-0-66331300-1467462027_thumb.jpg

Archived