Hornby Networker into a Class 465 4 car.

It was a white wooden affair, in the curved shape of a traditional steam headboard IIRC. It was handpainted, the top line reading 'Strawberry Hill' - I think with a strawberry next to it, and the bottom line was 'Networker Rescue' in blue with the e struck through in red and a red 'o' painted above. Judging by the number of flies stuck to it it must have been used on several occasions attached to whatever assisting loco/unit was being used. Pity I did not think to photo it at the time...

One of the other unofficial things Strawberry hill made was a 455/465 adaptor. This consisted of a bakelite plate which was drilled and studs inserted to match up with the contacts in the electrical coupler below the tightlock on the 465. The studs were soldered to the corresponding wires in a jumper cable which could be plugged in to the MU socket on the 455, with the plate clamped on to the 465 coupler. The units could then be worked in multiple, albeit I think with control only over traction and braking, certainly it was not possible to work the 465 doors from the 455. I wonder how many outside of Strawberry Hill were aware of that one!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone

This is a subject that has taken my interest for quite a few years ever since I owned a class 466 2 car was how would I go about turning into a 465/365.

Do you still have any completed bodies available and if so how much would it cost for a 4 car set.

Also I was wondering how easy it is to cut and join the chassis for the middle coaches, I read once that it is an absolute ###### to do but I would be interested to know about how its done. I am also contemplating the possibility of build a 365/465 with live 3rd rail pickups so that it can be independently driven on the same track as a steam or diesel loco having been successful in doing a 3rd rail unit using 6 railroad pullman cars to attempt a Brighton Belle unit the way the 5bel trust is going to run it but as 6 cars instead of 5.

With that in mind I thought I would have a crack at it when I get some cash togeth to start purchasing the parts required. Excellent work by the way.

Hi Mersey.

I guess you question re remaining bodies was directed to myself.

So. Sorry but they were all sold and I cannot tell you where you wight get bits now. I guess the eBay would probably be the only place to get bodies and chassis. But that leaves the glazing, bogies and seating to find. Maybe some of the other posters on here might have a few bits to offer.

As far as cutting and joining the the chassis 'halves', this is not too problematic. This is how I did it; Take one chassis and, using  a bench angle cutting jig, cut across the centre-line using the indentation mark on each side. (this is where an opening hatch is represented on the underframe). Take the second chassis and cut across the same place BUT leaving an additional 1mm on the piece of chassis you need to retain. So. One 'half' is a 'half' and the other half is in fact half + 1mm. To joint see one of the early pictures I posted. You can see I have used a short steel bar (actually a weight from a Hornby Mk1 coach). After filing away the lettering on the floor of the chassis, the steel bar was fitted using superglue. Easy.

Best of luck with working 3rd rail shoes. It has been done but check any coach on '00' track and you will find lots of sideways 'slop' between bogie and rails. Good luck with trying to keep a pickup show on the top of the 3rd rail!

Best of luck.

Dave

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Just bumping this topic as I have a few Networker items listed on a well known auction site.  Also, my version of the 1 car unit is shown below.  I thought this could be a class 163 (as the 153 was also a 1 car unit).  The model requires a few finishing details and transfers as a Chiltern Railways unit.  It will be on our club layout (Silverbury) at the South West Herts Exhibition, Watford on 7th May.

• 4 years later...