Hornby Networker into a Class 465 4 car.

Hi Guys.

Not much on here lately for the EMU enthusiast so I thought that I'd post a few pics of a Class 465 conversion I started many moons ago. It has sat in a box for some years now as I don't have the facility to do a repaint on it at the moment. Had thought of seeing if Electra might do something.

I got the cut and shut idea from an RMweb post by someone from the Erith Club (I think) who had converted some coaches into a Class 365.

Anyhow. I obtained some spare bodies, chassis, seating & glazing and started cutting.

I took the motor etc out of a very cheap US diesel. Runs fine but quite slow.

So here a some photos. The cuts in the trailer bodies can be seen down the centre of the end doors.

Cheers

Dave

post-509-0-84659900-1408718665_thumb.jpg

post-509-0-35548000-1408718666_thumb.jpg

post-509-0-00118300-1408718667_thumb.jpg

post-509-0-55113300-1408718667_thumb.jpg

post-509-0-13850300-1408718668_thumb.jpg

post-509-0-46996400-1408718670_thumb.jpg

post-509-0-56139300-1408718671_thumb.jpg

post-509-0-09967700-1408718665_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

I ve been working on a 465 and 325 for a couple of years after I aquired a box of spare Hornby shells however they are not required for my present projects so get put to one side. I need to aquire lots of spares yet to finish them off. I'm using the cabs removed from the shells and 4 short Hornby mk3 bodies to make the 325, alot to do on this too.

Looks a good conversion, ive a two car, 466 that im tempted to convert into a 465, what wheelbases are the 465/6s? and what sections do you need for the missing center cars?

NL

Nick.

The wheelbase is the same but you do need lots of bits and I'm afraid that some may no longer be available. They used to appear regularly on ebay but I haven't seen any for some time.

There is a guy with a stand at shows that sells used bits and he sometimes has chassis. He is normally at Tolworth Showtrain. I have looked for 2014 and don't recognise his name in the list. Sorry.

Anyway, here's what you need (I think).

2 x driving motors complete. (that's no toilets)

1st centre car with no toilet = 2 DM bodies to cut and shut. + 2 x chassis also to cut & shut.

2nd centre car with loo = 1 x DT with loo + 1 x DM without.  + 2 x chassis also to cut & shut. You can use the DT body from your original 2 car set for this.

Basically, you are cutting off the cab at the first set of doors on one body and then cutting off the inner end of the second body to graft onto the remainder of the first coach. You can see the join in the pictures.

This makes sense to me but is it clear enough for someone who hasn't done it before?

The cutting of the chassis is crucial and they are not cut across the centreline, otherwise the chassis ends up too short.

Lastly and I'm sorry about all the negatives here, I am lead to believe that the glazing is now almost impossible to obtain.

If someone knows better, I'd be very pleased to here from them.

Dave

I did go a little mad back when the bits were available.

I was thinking of having lots of these so a made some more.

2 x 4 car 465s

2 x pairs of centre cars.

Things have moved on now and I don't know what to do with all these.

Dave

attachicon.gifNetworker9.jpg

If you want to make some space i would happily buy a four car unit.

Graham.

• RMweb Gold

I did go a little mad back when the bits were available.

I was thinking of having lots of these so a made some more.

I suspect that some people here might be wishing they'd gone "mad" in that way ... .

Things have moved on now and I don't know what to do with all these.

Dave

attachicon.gifNetworker9.jpg

I'm not convinced that's exactly the right thing to do with Networkers - real or model.

They're relatively modern - and structurally sound - probably not ready for a trip to the scrapyard quite yet ... .

Huw.

Hi - many thanks for response, I have been on the lookout for spares, one did recently go for a decent price, so ill keep looking, as I want to finnish this, only problem is it seems bogies arnt easy to come by, reason asking for the wheelbase is finding something better to power the whole thing as the Hornby motor ive heard isnt all that good, and when seeing my unit when it belonged to my late uncle, I wasnt overly impressed by the motor as well

NL

Hi - many thanks for response, I have been on the lookout for spares, one did recently go for a decent price, so ill keep looking, as I want to finnish this, only problem is it seems bogies arnt easy to come by, reason asking for the wheelbase is finding something better to power the whole thing as the Hornby motor ive heard isnt all that good, and when seeing my unit when it belonged to my late uncle, I wasnt overly impressed by the motor as well

NL

Nick.

Some spare are available from Peters Spares and another I can't remember the name of at the moment. Search on eBay for networker. Then go to the sellers websites and loon for Networker. They don't seem to put the bits on eBay.

Dave

Or sell some to me and others who have interest!

NL

Guys.

Seriously, I have one 4 car set and 2 x pairs of centre cars. None are painted. I have enough chassis but none are cut & shut yet. I will have to check the bogie and glazing situation. I have no corridor connections either.

The thing is, they are not cheap as the parts cost loads and then there is the conversion work.

I know someone who made a Class 365 but these could well be the only Class 465 or part 465 there is. Someone has already bought one, I have the part painted one and rest as seen in my pics.

If anyone is interested, PM me. First come first served.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Sorry, Nick.

I forgot that you will need a seating until with each body shell you source, if you want the correct seats inside.

Cheers

Dave

ps. Here's my take on the Class 465/99

attachicon.gifNetworker Class 465_99.jpg

A class 161 network single car DMU was proposed by BR, before the decision was made to convert 155s into single cars.

Edited by richierich

• 4 weeks later...