A little more of my 7mm adventure

hartleymartin

10644407_10152594347226251_8464775844088

Two wagons are nearing completion. The brown one on the left is from a Parkside Dundas kit of an ex-NBR 4-plank open wagon. It is modified with "Cammel" buffers as used on the NSWGR, although I may yet change them to the "Turton" type. I had brush-painted it with Tamiya XF10 Flat Brown. I had to scrape some of the paint off back down to bare plastic when it came to fitting the brake gear, which comes from a Slaters kit. Speaking of which, the unpainted wagon is a Slaters MR 3-plank dropside wagon, which has been fitted with brake gear on one side only and donated the second set of brake gear to the first wagon. I still need to fit buffers and couplings, but otherwise it is ready to head to the paint shop. I like to modify British wagons to play the part of my local prototypes. The mix-n-match of parts between different manufacturers is partly a tactic of mine to make it harder to pick out exactly where they all come from. The local style buffers usually seal the deal.

I'm sort of torn between the classic NSW Coalfields paint scheme or going for a generic mid-dark grey. The former was typical of the colliery railways of NSW, Australia and the latter would identify them more as NSW Government Railway vehicles, of which they had many similar types c.1900, particularly ones that were used by contractors for railway construction and maintenance.

This is what the NSW Coalfields wagons looked like:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/steam_locos/7828912198/

10644407_10152594347226251_8464775844088

Two wagons are nearing completion. The brown one on the left is from a Parkside Dundas kit of an ex-NBR 4-plank open wagon. It is modified with "Cammel" buffers as used on the NSWGR, although I may yet change them to the "Turton" type. I had brush-painted it with Tamiya XF10 Flat Brown. I had to scrape some of the paint off back down to bare plastic when it came to fitting the brake gear, which comes from a Slaters kit. Speaking of which, the unpainted wagon is a Slaters MR 3-plank dropside wagon, which has been fitted with brake gear on one side only and donated the second set of brake gear to the first wagon. I still need to fit buffers and couplings, but otherwise it is ready to head to the paint shop. I like to modify British wagons to play the part of my local prototypes. The mix-n-match of parts between different manufacturers is partly a tactic of mine to make it harder to pick out exactly where they all come from. The local style buffers usually seal the deal.

I'm sort of torn between the classic NSW Coalfields paint scheme or going for a generic mid-dark grey. The former was typical of the colliery railways of NSW, Australia and the latter would identify them more as NSW Government Railway vehicles, of which they had many similar types c.1900, particularly ones that were used by contractors for railway construction and maintenance.

This is what the NSW Coalfields wagons looked like:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/steam_locos/7828912198/

What a splendid little locomotive. A collector's item for sure.

Hi Marty good to see that you have started making some more progress.

Make sure you get my phone number from the latest 7th Heaven mag and give me a call before the long weekend and I can make some arrangements for you, would be good to see you at the Liverpool Exhibition.

Hope you get to the stage soon that you can start looking at that little layout that was talked about a while ago to run the industrial loco's on and the coal field theme I think is a great one esp as most of the early wagons used had very British origins and a bit like narrow gauge modelling you can get away with lots of things modelling early coal lines as little was recorded about these lines compared to the main lines.

The Catho coal operation was an interesting one beach front running and an ocean coal loading wharf.

Hope to hear from you

Chris

Archived