trw1089

Many thanks to trw1089 for his generosity and hospitality last Sunday, when I had the pleasure of seeing this layout up close and in operation.  It was an absolute delight!

If I manage something half as good, I think I shall be doing well.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have been a little remiss in posting of late mostly because I’ve been concentrating on actually getting stuck in to the main station building as well as experimenting with photography.

The main station building is a complicated beastie and I finally managed to sketch out the locations of the platform side architecture, plus all the little “frilly” bits associated with the mixture of architectural styles that adorn the station.

Firstly, the overall shell with most of the platform side windows and doors roughed in.

xiAFVN.jpg

And a bit of a cruel closer view

ZFWw4r.jpg

I’ve also been doing some more resin casting for the details etc

35QFAg.jpg

Early in the near year I also managed to finish Blair Athol

KLFE9A.jpg

And finally, as part of some greater exposure in the modelling media, I’ve been experimenting with focus stacking some more. Here is one of the results featuring 60058 again.

bhlJRE.jpg

There are a heap more and when I find out which ones haven’t been used, I will post the remainder. I also have a couple of videos I need to do, but with my video software being corrupted on my new laptop I may be a little while before those are ready.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

I have been a little remiss in posting of late mostly because I’ve been concentrating on actually getting stuck in to the main station building as well as experimenting with photography.

The main station building is a complicated beastie and I finally managed to sketch out the locations of the platform side architecture, plus all the little “frilly” bits associated with the mixture of architectural styles that adorn the station.

Firstly, the overall shell with most of the platform side windows and doors roughed in.

And a bit of a cruel closer view

I’ve also been doing some more resin casting for the details etc

Early in the near year I also managed to finish Blair Athol

And finally, as part of some greater exposure in the modelling media, I’ve been experimenting with focus stacking some more. Here is one of the results featuring 60058 again.

There are a heap more and when I find out which ones haven’t been used, I will post the remainder. I also have a couple of videos I need to do, but with my video software being corrupted on my new laptop I may be a little while before those are ready.

Cheers

Tony

Tony, I like all of that - very much - except the last photo. This focus-stacking lark seems to make everything look totally un-natural to me.

Tony, I like all of that - very much - except the last photo. This focus-stacking lark seems to make everything look totally un-natural to me.

Hmm, I tend to agree.  I find that a lot of the images in the magazines these days are just to good.  The depth of field can be quite unnatural compared to a 'normal' photo of a real train.

Nice engine BTW,

Even if it didn't come out of Swindon.................................... :no: :angel:

Edited by 5050
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for your comments, I take your point re focus stacking, it is sometimes hard to know how far to take them. Will be interesting to see what happens when they are all finally published.

As for your question about the ballast Dean, the lighter foreground ballast is Woodland Scenics fine light grey to represent new ballast, and the darker colour is the 1mm aquarium gravel.

Cheers

Tony

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all

A couple more progress shots of the main station building. The resin castings have worked out well and I think only a few more required now for the clock tower, but I’m happy with progress. Hope to do a bit more over Easter but really need to get back into loco building again as there are a couple of J6s crying put for attention.

vLCIle.jpg

RFpniZ.jpg

Sorry about the construction mess. It’s such a big building that it’s too unwieldy to build at my modelling desk.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

A couple more progress shots of the main station building. The resin castings have worked out well and I think only a few more required now for the clock tower, but I’m happy with progress. Hope to do a bit more over Easter but really need to get back into loco building again as there are a couple of J6s crying put for attention.

vLCIle.jpg

RFpniZ.jpg

Sorry about the construction mess. It’s such a big building that it’s too unwieldy to build at my modelling desk.

Cheers

Tony

That is well on the way to being something awesome Tony!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Gilbert

It’s been an interesting build so far. I must admit I’ve been enjoying seeing the research materialise into something solid.

Cheers

Tony

• RMweb Premium

A very nice building. You've obviously put a lot of effort and skill in to it. I don't know how long it has taken you so far, but 'hats off' to you. I'm not sure I would have the patients to see it though to the end with the same level dedication - I'd start to rush it and make a real mess of it.

Just an observation, perhaps it is not intentional, and you will probably have every intention of cleaning it all away, but the "construction mess" on the track does add another layer of realism to your model - the smaller items at least looks like genuine litter.

Regards, Ian.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks for all the likes and especially the comments Gilbert and Ian

Further progress was made over the Easter break with most of the architectural details on the platform side now completed.  Just need to finish off some doors and tidy up the windows and then the station side of the building will be close to done except for final finishing.

First is a view from the Leeds end

UNNqgD.jpg

Then the upper part of the central core

SRMi75.jpg

and finally the town side of the building

wquiI2.jpg

This side is just roughed in at the moment, and I am not sure how much further to take it as it won't be easily seen, though given the forecourt area on Peterborough North looks so good and it is similar, I think I will succumb and finish it off to a reasonable level of detail.

The detail takes an unbelievably long time to do on such a large building, there are so many little bits and bobs.  Did you notice the lions heads on the top trim?  Not sure why they were there, but I made some by carving up a Dapol figure's face then adding a mane and trimmed up.  Nearly went blind doing that!

Some etched brass canopy brackets and clock faces are on their way from Scale Link, so we will see what they look like when they arrive. 

Cheers

Tony

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Great work Tony!

It will have taken you so much time to build this that it's a wonder you have had any time left for the locos and stock. I look forward to seeing it in place painted and weathered.

Do you have a projected completion date?

Eric

• RMweb Premium

One of my better decisions was to put in that baseboard extension to allow the forecourt and hotel to be modelled, but if, as I originally drew the plan, it had been at the back, I doubt whether I would have gone to town on detail. If I were able to build something like this though, I'd be very tempted to do the whole thing to the same standard.

• RMweb Gold

Great work Tony!

It will have taken you so much time to build this that it's a wonder you have had any time left for the locos and stock. I look forward to seeing it in place painted and weathered.

Do you have a projected completion date?

Eric

Thanks Eric, locos etc have taken a back seat for a while, but I’ve really enjoyed doing the building too. No set completion date as yet as I need to get back to building locos for a while, but it will be worked on in between so it keeps progressing. I’m really looking forward to painting and weathering it, but am also going to do up a couple of interiors for the Refreshment Rooms, booking office and the SMs office as these will all be lit and observable.

Cheers

Tony

• RMweb Gold

One of my better decisions was to put in that baseboard extension to allow the forecourt and hotel to be modelled, but if, as I originally drew the plan, it had been at the back, I doubt whether I would have gone to town on detail. If I were able to build something like this though, I'd be very tempted to do the whole thing to the same standard.

Thanks Gilbert

I know it will annoy me if I don’t finish it to a reasonable standard so it will probably get done as I do like the look of your forecourt area and it would be nice to have something along those lines.

Cheers

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Hi all

In case you don’t follow DCC sound, here is a cross post of a video of some of my sound equipped locos running on the layout. These are all fitted with Locoman DCC sounds and it certainly adds another dimension to the layout.

Cheers

Tony

Edited by trw1089
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tony

Super video......thoroughly enjoyed it. Every time I watch one of your sound videos I start rethinking my " no sound" policy..........maybe I should start with just one pannier?

I am very impressed with your station building. All the graft you put into making those castings is certainly paying dividends. Cant wait to see it in situ complete with some Yorkshire grime. 

Best wishes

John

• RMweb Gold

Thanks very much John

I have always liked sound but I wasn’t overly impressed with the quality that was available. The recent releases by some of the DCC folks have improved things considerably and has certainly made me think more and more about equipping more locos, but I also enjoy the quiet of non-sound locos and the sounds of the trains rolling around the layout. Too many sound locos at once can drive you batty, so I tend to have one or two “live” at any one time. I also think that sound locos need to be “driven” rather than just left to run around at constant speed.

Be careful though, if you do fit one loco, you get hooked and keep adding more and more. I started at one and now I’m up to 7 equipped locos...

If you are going to equip one though, please let it be anything but a Pannier (though Coachman did a couple that sounded pretty good!)

Cheers

Tony

• 3 weeks later...