trw1089

• RMweb Premium

Great pic manna, really like the weathering on that coach, the dark areas around the handles and the matt blackness of the roof.  Those are the sorts of reference photos I love to get hold of.  I'm glad that the layout is conveying some of the feel of the area for someone like you who would know it so well.  I wasn't all that happy with the compromises on curvature etc that I had to make to fit the layout in the space I had, but then I was watching a video of a cab ride from Leeds to Doncaster and what struck me was how much curvature there was on the climb up to Ardsley tunnel and then on the other side through Ardsley and down to Wrenthorpe.  When the station area is done I hope that will really cement in the location of the layout.

Thanks to all the kind comments too, I notice that on here most people will press like but there aren't that many who comment, so I do appreciate it when people take the time to write something.

Cheers

Tony

Yes I agree Tony, likes are all very well, but it is nicer still when people do join in and comment. Having said that, it is about time I did the same. Our local newsagent seems to have stopped stocking HM, so it took me a while to get a copy, but the wait was well worthwhile. Many congratulations Tony on an excellent layout, backed up by a really interesting article, and fine photos. It was really good of you to commemorate Dave Shakespeare as you did, and I can assure you he would have loved the article as much as I did.

When you get that station building in place the whole thing will gain another dimension. Keep going!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks very much Gilbert, if it wasn’t for layouts like yours I wouldn’t have any of the inspiration that I get from visiting on here.

I’m glad you liked the tribute to Dave, I wanted to make sure that his legacy is not forgotten.

Cheers

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Another of the pics that didn't make it.  I like this one as somehow my filling in of the sky makes it look more dramatic than the backdrop that it was cloned from. The problem with this image is that the focus stacking has made the image too "stark" I think and some softening of focus would have made it look better.  When each image was taking me around an hour or so to process, I didn't go as far on some as I would have liked.  Still, I like the two locos in shot, though the J39 will soon receive some detailing treatment thanks to jweallans of the this parish.

bYV4Xq.jpg

• Like 12

I am running out of adjectives, that is one of your best pictures yet, a clever viewpoint and everything in focus.

Did you use some form of photo processing to get that depth of field?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard

Yes, this was another focus stacked image, with around 20 shots taken at different focus points then combined in photoshop using the methods illustrated by Andy Y in the photography forum. I do like that shot too, both or the subject and how it came out.

Cheers

Tony

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

We are now down to the cutting room floor. I think the figures, while adding human interest, really scream “toy train”, but still, I was experimenting with different angles.

x9fEkv.jpg

The nice people at Hornby Mag sent me 4 hard copies of the issue with my layout in it. I must admit to being most impressed by the print version, it does show the layout in the best possible light, probably better than real life actually!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

We are now down to the cutting room floor. I think the figures, while adding human interest, really scream “toy train”, but still, I was experimenting with different angles.

x9fEkv.jpg

The nice people at Hornby Mag sent me 4 hard copies of the issue with my layout in it. I must admit to being most impressed by the print version, it does show the layout in the best possible light, probably better than real life actually!

Cheers

Tony

I'd say those figures were better than most Tony, but I agree that people are always the destroyer of reality on model photos. You did a lot better than I did with HM, I didn't even get one copy.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Good Afternoon Tony (and everyone else). I just this morning picked up My June copy of Hornby Mag from the newsagent. (Yes it really does take that long to get it, out here in country WA) 

I have to say it was a smashing read and the text and piccys were very good. I rarely buy magazines anymore as most of what I need to know can be found online, but I had to make an exception for this one (and of course the one with Gilbert's PN in it, earlier on).

You should be well pleased with the results. 

Cheers Ted

• RMweb Gold

Thanks very much Ted

It turn out very well in the mag. Unfortunately I’ve not had much layout time in the last couple of months because of work, but hoping to get stuck in again soon.

Cheers

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant photos Tony.......my apologies for not replying before.....not sure how I missed your June post.

Your figures put mine to shame.......the loco shot is outstanding.......20 images stacked....wow!

I have dabbled with photo stacking but that shot is really inspires me to try again

Best wishes

John

• RMweb Gold

Thanks John

If you need any help with image stacking, just sing out.

Cheers

Ton

Thanks Tony I may take you up on that. I upgraded my computor and “lost” my Photoshop Elements.......so I bought Affinity which has inumerable bells and whistles including photo stacking......lots to learn

Cheers

John

• 2 months later...

I've only just found this thread, but its some brilliant work. I remember seeing the layout in HM a few months ago and thought it was stella, so i'll be excited to see what comes next

Keep up the great work

Luke

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks very much Luke

Work is continuing slowly, I have relaid some track at the station area, but have been mostly focused on doing sound files and installs as well as trying to finish off two J6s. Once the J6s are done, then I will get back to the station area proper.

In the meantime I have also been doing a fair bit of work for an Australian manufacturer, helping with sound files, manual development and testing, so that has been taking up any other spare hobby time, but it also brings in some extra funds which has allowed me to do more sound fitting in my own rollingstock.

To feature these I’ve just finished a new video, which has some of the previous sound fitted locos, plus a J50 fitted with digitrains sound, and two new Loksound installs (one B1, one O4/1) based on some sound files of my own and Loksound templates.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 13

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi everyone

A bit of a hiatus for me from the forum, but bits and pieces still being done on the layout and modelling in general.  I’ve been doing some more mucking around with sound files and the like on the back of testing speakers and the new Loksound V5 decoders for an Australian manufacturer.  The V5s are definitely an improvement, but speakers are everything I find, and I’m still very pleased with the Tang Band (aka Earth Movers) speakers I am using.

Here is a video I did recently of my O4 fitted with the Earth Mover, being banked by a J50 with a sugarcube speaker.  You can certainly hear the difference, even though the sound files are different (the O4 is my own, the J50 from Digitrains).

The real reason for the video was was to make sure that I recorded some clips of the layout in the month that it was appearing in the Hornby Mag calendar, not very often that is likely to happen in my lifetime I suspect!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

The other modelling focus over the last several months has been two J6s, one for me and another to be shedded in New England.  As of this evening I have one at practical completion (the last two images, taken about 10 mins ago), and the other not far behind.  Once these are finished then it will be back on to the main station area again.

19A6D174-2BA9-4871-8550-7DD42EF5C9D4.jpeg

5FF6F2E7-67D1-4D74-904B-1A7DC32091C1.jpeg

A1A08968-DDD1-4A71-9E49-7121BC7EC520.jpeg

D26F287A-3A8A-4C34-8A5C-7CA84DF0CE78.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well the J6s are just about done now except for painting, finishing off 64173 tonight with detailing of the lubrication pipe work, adding a resemblance of inside motion, and the driver counterweights.  All that’s left is painting now.  64173 was a Copley Hill engine for the period I’m modelling and it was unusual in that it had a sight feed (hydrostatic) lubricator in the cab added at some stage, so has a conduit from the cab and some wiggly lubricator lines that I wanted to replicate.

First, a gaggle of J6s.  64173 is on the left, and 64177, for Peterborough North is on the right.  My first LRM J6 is at the back.

zys3O9.jpg

Next is a side profile of 64173.  The white patches are 5 thou styrene to represent welded patches 

XdFz5C.jpg

Finally a close up of the wiggly bits.  I like wiggly bits...

eF5o5z.jpg

Nice to get them to this stage, also nice to see two J6s running around the layout finally.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, trw1089 said:

Well the J6s are just about done now except for painting, finishing off 64173 tonight with detailing of the lubrication pipe work, adding a resemblance of inside motion, and the driver counterweights.  All that’s left is painting now.  64173 was a Copley Hill engine for the period I’m modelling and it was unusual in that it had a sight feed (hydrostatic) lubricator in the cab added at some stage, so has a conduit from the cab and some wiggly lubricator lines that I wanted to replicate.

First, a gaggle of J6s.  64173 is on the left, and 64177, for Peterborough North is on the right.  My first LRM J6 is at the back.

zys3O9.jpg

Next is a side profile of 64173.  The white patches are 5 thou styrene to represent welded patches 

XdFz5C.jpg

eF5o5z.jpg

Nice to get them to this stage, also nice to see two J6s running around the layout finally.

Cheers

Tony

Oooh, very nice Tony. Any chance you will be coming over here in the reasonably near future?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, trw1089 said:

zys3O9.jpg

XdFz5C.jpg

eF5o5z.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Really good work Tony.

You will want to have them painted soon for running on the layout.

Eric

• Thanks 1