To rebuild, or not to rebuild? That is the question!

Lloyd.L

I have recently dug out one of the baseboards from a small generic OO scale model tramway that I built and operated with my, then, 12 tear old son, Adam, a few years ago. We had a lot of fun showing it at a number of exhibitions, including the East Anglian Transport Museum at Carlton Colville that was the inspiration for the layout in the first place.

3878332314_15655ca5ee_o_zpsd8c21499.jpg

3878872561_e6a72d6961_o_zps5ee823f0.jpg

After years of it having been used as a shelf, I have now cleared the layout, with the intention of deciding what to do with it:

IMG_5657_zps4e3229b0.jpg

IMG_5666_zpsdbb29135.jpg

IMG_5665_zps9edc9b95.jpg

IMG_5670_zps9c99c8f7.jpg

The buildings have not fared at all well after being in the shed for several years, so I am asking myself some questions:

Do I get replacement buildings and rebuild it the same, with the same mottley mix of stock?

Or

Do I use the baseboards with some new buildings, dedicated to one town/city or operator?

Or

Do I put it all back in the shed and forget about it for another few years?

If I do go ahead, whatever option I choose, I will have questions to ask about choice of controller to use for smooth slow speed running with those BEC/ABS power units.

Thats it for now.

Regards, Lloyd.

Gaugemaster are the controller of choice for many, but getting smooth low speed running with old bec units might take a bit of work.  You might find replacing them with Hallings, and selling the BECs on a well known auction site won't cost you a great deal more, but will give much better results.

Gaugemaster are the controller of choice for many, but getting smooth low speed running with old bec units might take a bit of work.  You might find replacing them with Hallings, and selling the BECs on a well known auction site won't cost you a great deal more, but will give much better results.

Took the words right out of my mouth..........

Could not disagree with anything here and that is pretty much exactly what I did after mixed results with ABS/BEC motor units.

As to based on one town/city that's your shout, personally that's the route I chose as to be honest the thought of running a Blackpool Balloon with a London E1 jars for me, bit like running an M7 with an Aspinall L&Y tank.....just doesn't look right.

Buildings,plenty of options over perhaps the tried and trusted Superquick etc nowadays, again your choice.

If baseboards and track are sound then I'd go for it....too good to bin..... 

Archived