Exmouth Jn Black Motors - area of operation?

• RMweb Gold

With the imminent arrival of the Black Motor from Hornby, i was looking at shed allocations for these and noticed several at Exmouth Junction. 

I've had a soft spot for these since being woken up by one of the last in service slithering to a halt at Pirbright Junction on a trip working. 

As i am planning a West Country joint junction as a future project I was wondering what area these operated over. I have seen a report of one at Okehampton - did they go further west?

Not quite what you are looking for I suspect, but, 30689 and 30697 were kept as snow plough locos at Exmouth Junction

in the winter of 1962/1963 they went to assist a train between Lydford and Meldon and themselves got stuck in the snow.

These were the last duties for Black Motors at Exmouth Junction, after the snow plough duties finished that spring they went into store

cheers 

• RMweb Gold

ISTR the workings beyond Okehampton on the North Cornwall lines were few and far between, but there was a record of 30691 working the 3.13.p.m. Padstow Perishables in 1960. My source is Irwell Press's The North Cornwall Railway, the later edition with additional info from RMweb's 2manyspams, of Treneglos fame.

• 2 weeks later...

The Okehampton Line (Irwell Press) Page 60. Quote " T.W.E.Roche recalled watching a whole battalion of troops from Willsworthy Camp entraining at Lydford in the 1930s. They were accompanied by horses and gun carriages, and three 700 class 0-6-0 goods locomotives were employed shunting and marshalling the trains of carriages, horse boxes and flat wagons". The same book on page 219/220 mentions the 6:30am pick-up goods from Exmouth Jct to Barnstaple and 3:20pm return (duty 532) by 1957 had been taken over by a 700 class and in May 1959 30691 was recorded at Tavistock yard on an up Plymouth goods. It also states in the 1950s a regular Summer Saturday duty took a 72A 700 to Barnstaple on an early morning goods, returning to Yeoford hauling a passenger train, and home piloting an up express.

Hope is of some assistance.

Archived