Bachmann announce 0-6-2T L&NWR Webb Coal Tank

Andy Y

There is an interview in my book on the Delph-Oldham branch with a driver on a typical pre-war summer Saturday in which he said the bunker wasn't just full, the coal was also all over the footplate. Just as well he was on his own then becasue with two coaches ahead and two in the rear, he only saw his driver when he walked past changing ends. He said he knew he had all that coal to put in the hole before his shift finished! 

I used to sit with an ex.driver from Llandudno Junction in his room at Tal-Y-Cafn station when he was serving out his time on platform duties. He once told me about the Coal Tanks and said he was fascinated by something about the vac brake handle when it suddenly sucked the cloth out of his hand and disappeared down a pipe!  One day in the mid 1980's, he received a message from Llanrwst box  to say the 'gunpowder' would be leaving soon. He said to tell the crew they will be having their photo taken. I drove off to one of my lineside photo-spots and waited....and waited....and waited. Eventually the Class 25 hauled train meandered slowly towards me and i got me photo. On driving back to Tal-Y-Cafn, I was passed by loads of cars and what-not coming from the level-crossing.  Apparently the gates had been shut for quarter of an hour and the train crew were expecting some sort of officialdom, which is why they proceeded with ultra caution! My friend, very red in the face, took of his trousers (he wore summer shorts underneath) and buggered off down the platform with his petrol mower trying to look very busy....  :mosking:

Edited by coachmann

I have spent some time analysing locomotive allocations, books, photographic records etc and attached is a list of coal tank locomotives seen at Tredegar.  The numbers represent the old LNWR shed codes before the number/letter codes were introduced.  

Dunn made some mistakes when recording LNWR allocations in his book Reflections on a Railway Career. They are slight, but one/two locos could not have been in South Wales as he recorded.  

regards

AllocationsLNW Coal Tanks 4.pdf

Edited by philip-griffiths

• RMweb Premium

Terrific photos, Leander! Many thanks. I had wondered if Webb coal tanks reached Keswick, and here we are - Keswick and Threlkeld! Mind you, I was hoping for 1940/50s, rather than the first ten years of 1900!

John

I think that brightwork on the tank and bunker tops is a preservation thing. Sure, I've read there was an instruction by Bowen Cooke to scrub and grease such parts in 1908, yet when 'Coronation' was specially done up the following year there is no sign of such brightwork on the angle. As for lowly Coal Tanks, forgeddit. 1914 put paid to any bull'.

Guest Midland Mole

I really wish the LNWR liveried one was the lined version, but it wont stop me from buying it (plus an LMS one). :)

- Alex

Edited by Midland Mole

Whatever the absolute authenticity, I think this must be the first OO RTR plastic bodied loco production to carry any LNWR livery style?

Apart from thousands of mixed traffic locos on BR haha.... (Couldn't resist).

Someone allegedly considered it was a pity the old LNWR  'Culumbine' had been painted in BR livery in the old Yorn museum......I heard that one in 1960.

But yes, I think you are right 34theletterbetweenB&D. The model might represent the Coal Tank in later LNWR days, unworthy of lining.

Edited by coachmann

I have a pre-order with C&M for the LNWR version, but I think I might see if I can swap for LMS, authentic or not, I don't like that bright-work at all.  Has the LMS one got Ross-pop or Tupsarse I wonder.

Dear Bachmann I am very disappointed with your new Coal tank! I have in no way whatsoever any use of one. And was very content in keeping my wallet safely in the back pocket.

Knowing I already have a couple of locos on order. You then start showing pictures of this perfectly formed and nicely turned out engine. What's a man supposed to do! Did any make it to Leicester on workings?

I believe they made it into Loughborough just north of Leicester, on the old Charnwood Forest Railway in to Derby Rd. station. There was a typical small LNWR loco. shed there until recently... now covered in the ubiquitous housing complex.

Regards,

Nick

In LMS Loco Sheds Vol 1, L&NWR,  by Chris Hawkins & George Reeve.

'Leicester - LNWR engines stabled at the Midland Roundhouses here and a few staff were based in the Shed, a practise of course rendered unnecessary after the grouping'. 

There must have been LNWR engines at Leicester as the LNWR had a line from Nuneaton to Leicester*, though I admit I know nothing of that area - Railway wise, I was born in Leicester, but family moved away in 1949.

* OK , the last part was running powers over the Midland from Wigston North Junct.,

EDIT - Looking through Coal tank allocations in the 'Bashers, Gadgets & Mourners' book, there were two Coal Tanks allocated to Nuneaton Shed in 1917 and 1928, I can't find any others in the listing for Nuneaton.

Edited by Penlan

I really wish the LNWR liveried one was the lined version, but it wont stop me from buying it (plus an LMS one). :)

- Alex

Yeah me too, as then it would be a nice memory of the way it looked when it was at the Dinting Railway Centre in the 70s/80s.

Guest Midland Mole

I did not even notice there had been a price increase....oh well. Do I care....naaaahhhh! it's a Coal Tank, I'm going to buy it no matter what. :)

- Alex

You can take solace from the fact that it will cost less than buying a kit, wheels, etc.

On the other hand I get satisfaction from the fact that my LNWR locos are my own work and that I enjoyed making them to represent specific prototypes.

• Like 4

Question is whether the LNW one will look better than those which have been shown so far - gamble is whether to pre order on the basis that it will be, or wait and hope that this is one of the 72% of models without a price increase this year in which case their will be stacks of retailers selling them at £97.71 (£114.95 -15%). This will give time to assess whether its worth buying (and where from given postage rates which make pre-ordering from Derails tempting). Hattons pricing however implies they are expecting Bachmann to put them up £5. If they do, as I understand Bachmanns pricing policy, retailers asking for less than £101.96 will have to charge the extra.

Edited by Butler Henderson

Bachmann have advised that the Recommended Retail price for this item is now £119.95 resulting in a new sales price of £101.96. This has been due to the change in the terms of supply to all retailers by Bachmann, and follows similar changes by other manufacturers in the model rail industry, therefore we will unable to provide this item at the original retailing price however we can confirm that the new sales price is the lowest this item can be sold to you by any retailer.

I have seen other retailers advertising at lower than Hattons "lowest this item can be sold for price" before.

Kernow are showing the RRP as £119.95.

Bachmann still show it as £114.95. Presumably Hattons and  Kernow have been told it will be £119,95 when released due to the 1 Feb 2017 price changes by Bachmann. On the other hand Hattons claim Bachmann told them the 009 loco was coming out at the end of 2018 whereas Bachmann are saying end of this year so I would rather go on the "horses mouth" has to say than a second hand source.

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Like 1