Tips needed for masking yellow ends on BR Blue Cl 56

Hi  All,

as the topic title suggests, I'm after advice for masking the yellow ends when adding the BR Blue body coats of a class 56. In particular I'm wondering about the tight curve needed where the yellow under the side window meets the yellow of the front. I'm going for a straight BR Blue, not large logo.

A pic of progress to date is attached.

post-2744-0-24963800-1409433038_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

John.

Always a tricky area that. You can either a) try to cut tape to match the curve you need, this isn't easy, I found the best way was to stick the tape to a clean smooth surface (so that the tape will peel off, a clean cutting mat works well here) find a brass tube of the correct diameter and sharpen the edge to make a circle cutter, then punch a circle in the tape and cut upto it with a scalpel. you should get a perfect little corner that you can apply and then straight tape up to on the model. I would then seal the tap joints with Maskol to prevent paint leakage. or b) Mask a 90° corner and then paint in a tiny curved fillet with maskol to finish the job. I'm pretty confident with a brush so TBH I just do b) but you have choices. Also depending on your tape confidence you can do a light coat of varnish or yellow over the tape (let it dry) before painting the blue to seal the edge and stop leakage under the tape. I don't do this as I feel it increases the chance of paint pull at the edge and/or a paint ridge between the colours but I know some others do this and are happy with the results. I pull my tape pretty much the minute the paints on so as to reduce the edge effect as much as possible.

Its a very personal business this spraying melarchy!

Cav

Cav,

great minds etc! I used the tube and punch method. I don't know the results yet as I've just finished the second blue coat out of what will probably be 4.

I didn't do anything elaborate such as maskol, so am a bit concerned about leakage now. 

Well, this is a learning project, so live and learn as they say.

Thanks for the advice,

John.

So, by popular request... here are the results.  :O

Not quite as good as I hoped TBH. I used Testors masking tape that was a few years old. I got some leakage under the tape in places. I tried to cover it up with a bit more hand painted yellow. The results were mixed. 

For the record, the yellow was Railmatch acrylic applied by airbrush. It took about 10 - 15 coats. The blue was railmatch enamel sprayed from a can. It took about 3 coats.

Since this was a learning experience, and it's very difficult to get the right colour paint over here I'm not going to re-do it for the time being. 

post-2744-0-37247400-1410321243_thumb.jpg

post-2744-0-34550300-1410321245_thumb.jpg

post-2744-0-70066100-1410321246_thumb.jpg

Archived