RMweb

Hornby king

B15nac

I thought that it was sent for scrap and then saved as with so many others?

6000 was on the BTC reserved list stored initially at Swindon in the back of A shop, then moved to the stock shed, with periods at Stratford before returning to Swindon.

6000 did running in/test runs without the Westinghouse in June 1927 for a short period, but not with the bogie springing as per the model which was modified on 6000, whilst in the USA and certainly not with the bell or cabside medals which were not seen in the UK until mid December.

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Premium

Oh I never realised it was set aside specifically for preservation. The image below is from the Hattons website. There are no cab side medals so it may well have a different bogie Spring arrangement to show an as built loco. Was there a huge visual difference between the original springing and the modified springing?

post-7482-0-29851500-1444733717_thumb.jpeg

Oh I never realised it was set aside specifically for preservation. The image below is from the Hattons website. There are no cab side medals so it may well have a different bogie Spring arrangement to show an as built loco. Was there a huge visual difference between the original springing and the modified springing?

That one comes with the bell and medals in the detail pack.

Yeah seperately fitted with no printed Medals, giving the option of running it before it got its medals and bell actually fitted.

Challenge then is what to do about the double red route discs above the numberplate, moved to under the numberplate from Dec 27 when the medals were fitted. Hattons image shows top lamp bracket fitted to smokebox, not moved there until early 1930's

Mike Wiltshire

Edited by Coach bogie

Surely Hornby would have painted both versions with the same green. I think the more realistic colour on the Locomotion version is just down to the gloss lacquer, which when applied to a matt green will darken it and make it appear a 'richer' colour. This has been my experience when glossing aircraft models before decaling. 

• RMweb Premium

Three stages

bogie final 1.jpg

As built, August 1927 mod with square mounts, 1930's mod with thicker mounts and springs

Mike Wiltshire

Ok that is quite a difference. Dave has stated that each model will be as accurate as possible. Hopefully this extends to something as small as this.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing concerning me, after seeing the review in the November Hornby magazine, is that the models shown, King Edward V111 standard release and King George V Locomotion special, both show what appears to be a ridge on the underside of the boiler, visible in the open areas between the centre and front splashers and the front splasher and smokebox saddle. These photos are both taken of models with the tender to the left. Other photos as used for retailer adverts, with the tender to the right show a similar ridge on the other side, although these later pictures maybe computer generated, however the review samples are of actual models. I can't see what this ridge would be as it seems to thick for a conduit with no evidence of moulded fixings, and checking prototype photos I can't see anything similar, although its difficult to find side on photos taken at wheel boss height or lower. I'm concerned it may be a poor join line between a separate chassis mounted lower boiler part with the body moulding, similar to the J15. Anybody got any ideas.

One thing concerning me, after seeing the review in the November Hornby magazine, is that the models shown, King Edward V111 standard release and King George V Locomotion special, both show what appears to be a ridge on the underside of the boiler, visible in the open areas between the centre and front splashers and the front splasher and smokebox saddle. These photos are both taken of models with the tender to the left. Other photos as used for retailer adverts, with the tender to the right show a similar ridge on the other side, although these later pictures maybe computer generated, however the review samples are of actual models. I can't see what this ridge would be as it seems to thick for a conduit with no evidence of moulded fixings, and checking prototype photos I can't see anything similar, although its difficult to find side on photos taken at wheel boss height or lower. I'm concerned it may be a poor join line between a separate chassis mounted lower boiler part with the body moulding, similar to the J15. Anybody got any ideas.

Read this just before going over to the Deltic event at locomotion where they have a King Model on show. I had a good look at it and noticed what you saw. Think your right in that its a join line. Whether its on the production models I dont know but I would expect so. I would counter that it is fairly lower down and one of those things that is harder to see from distance. Most people, would have to look at it and know what to look for to see it, but that's a matter of perspective. 

I have to say, that based on the photo added by 'Hilux5972' which clearly shows the under boiler part as very much proud of the rest of the boiler, this seems to be worse than I thought as Hilux's photo is taken from an angle above the footplate and the ledge created by the non alignment of these boiler parts is still very noticeable. I can't understand how Hornby have ended up with what seems to be a design error in mating up parts of the model. They have produced many steam outline tender models with a similar boiler parts mix for many years and have successfully aligned the parts on the circular plane of the boiler in most of those models. Yes there will be a slight gap around the edges where the parts have to slide together, but that is barely noticeable, but this amount of a pronounced ridge will be obvious. From Hilux's photo it looks like the alignment is off by most of the thickness of the lower boiler part, which is very poor model making and to me an issue you thought they wouldn't repeat having identified a similar problem in the J15 before they started tooling the King. For me, as there is a rival product on the horizon, I'll now probably wait rather than commit to this product, I had pre ordered one of each to hedge my bets.

• RMweb Premium

That was taken from the Railway Modeller Facebook page. It is a shame that such a pronounced mistake is present. Hopefully they are aware of the issue and are fixing it. Ive given up emailing them about obvious issues with new models. The last reply I got was about the incorrect cab side handrail on 5043. The reply I got was:

Thank you for your recent enquiry. I can confirm that our model does have the L shaped rail, but I have passed your observation through to our Design team to look into for future reference.

Edited by Hilux5972

• RMweb Gold

That was taken from the Railway Modeller Facebook page. It is a shame that such a pronounced mistake is present. Hopefully they are aware of the issue and are fixing it. Ive given up emailing them about obvious issues with new models. The last reply I got was about the incorrect cab side handrail on 5043. The reply I got was:

Thank you for your recent enquiry. I can confirm that our model does have the L shaped rail, but I have passed your observation through to our Design team to look into for future reference.

You got a reply, which is an awful lot better than not getting one..

• RMweb Premium

You got a reply, which is an awful lot better than not getting one..

I suppose so. Still gives the view that 'yes we know it's wrong, we will tell you we will look into it but really we just don't care' at least it does to me

I doubt it will be fixed for the first production run as the Hornby magazine review is based on a sample from the production that they have purchased or leased from Hornby, as an 'exclusive review' and they indicated in the review that the production models would be available in late October (probably November realistically).

• RMweb Premium

It's a shame. I have pre ordered both the Hornby Kings and the DJM Kings. If the Hornby one does have this issue on the production models then I may cancel the Hornby ones. Would be very disappointing to have to do so though.