Railroad Deltic

If I remember correctly the Lima 55's were based on an planned H0 version and are at least 10mm to short. Add to that the bogies and wheels are all wrong.

So its either live with it or use it for conversion.

Craftsman do a kit DK22 to convert the lima into the original Deltic DP1 and a kit DK23 to convert it to DP2.

The overlays still leave it short but with a bit of careful work it is possible to stretch them.

Better bogies and wheels are the Lima 37

Oh aint it good to be back...

The Railroad (ex Lima) Deltic isn't to my untutored eye a bad model (and a decent price from my local modelshop), but of course just a little bit basic.

With the aid of a hacksaw, scalpel and cyanoacrylate I've replaced the huge tension locks with smaller ones and have a set of nameplates and transfers on order from Fox to change the identity, but...

That empty buffer beam is looking a little bit bare, to say the least.

I understand somebody out there does a detailing pack; any recommendations?

Thanks for the responses lads, I'll give Shawplan a go for some bits.

I'm aware there are issues with what's a relatively elderly kit but at ??35 it was too good to pass up as a testbed for practicing improving and detailing

How to say this delicately. The Hornby (nee Lima) Deltic is unfortunately seriously compromised in overall length and bogie size. My feeling would be to look at photographs ( or the real thing if convenient) and inspect the Bachmann Deltic and try its' running performance before proceeding. You get a lot more for the extra money, though it too can use modification and detailing attention. If you like the Hornby enough that this is never going to bother you, then Shawplan is one maker that comes to mind for the parts you require.

• RMweb Gold

Oh aint it good to be back...

The Railroad (ex Lima) Deltic isn't to my untutored eye a bad model (and a decent price from my local modelshop), but of course just a little bit basic.

With the aid of a hacksaw, scalpel and cyanoacrylate I've replaced the huge tension locks with smaller ones and have a set of nameplates and transfers on order from Fox to change the identity, but...

That empty buffer beam is looking a little bit bare, to say the least.

I understand somebody out there does a detailing pack; any recommendations?

A1 Models produced a range of parts for the Lima deltic, principally concerned with correcting the length (its very short). I suspect that its no longer in production, but trying the clasfieds might get some of the bits for it. If you wernt looking to correct the length, bits like the roof grills may be of use.

Its on HO bogies, or at least the lima version was, so worth rebogieing it with some off a Class 37 or 50 which are the right length.

Shawplan also produce a much better quality set of detlic bits (although are currently out of stock on most of it) tbh this is all designed to be as accurate as possible (and is intended to use the Bachmann model as a base) though again some parts may be of use. Certainly with most of their range Shawplan offer lots of bits in separate packs so you only have to buy what you need. At the moment I think the only part available is a new bit for the headcode box.

Moving on; I've got the buffer beam gubbins coming from Shawplan - may not be 100% but then real Deltics don't have tension lock couplings (even small ones) so I'm not going to get too uptight about the difference between steam pipes, vaccum pipes and air brake pipes, however...

What's also coming, once the post gets back to normal, is the all important SE Finecast flush-glazing unit. This is obviously going to require getting the existing glazing unit out, but I don't see any obvious fixing points. Is there a trick to it or does it just take brute force and ignorance? :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived