Dukedog in 7mm - Gladiator or David Andrews?

ianwales

Hi all

I notice that both David Andrews and Gladiator do a 7mm kit for a GWR Dukedog, is there much to chose between the 2 kits with regard to ease of build and how good the finished models are, I wasn't going to consider  one yet but notice that Gladiator is closing down.

Ian

Ian

They are basically the same kit, I'm pretty sure both were designed by David Andrews anyway, as was the Javelin one a few years back. It's a well designed and well thought out kit with excellent instructions. Not much to choose between the two, though you might find that the DA one has slightly better castings but I wouldn't guarantee that. Hope this helps.

Photo of my Javelin version of 9017 below.

Jeff

post-12187-0-40449400-1409858973_thumb.jpg

Ian

There's one on eBay at the moment, the blurb with it confirms what I wrote above. Have tried copying the link into here but it won't paste in for me. Up to £185 as I write.

Jeff

I just went and looked at ebay.  Link to the auction is http://www.ebay.com/itm/331306318807 if you're so inclined.

Can't say I can answer your question, but I did just order a "City" from David Andrews last week, and I'm eager to see the kit.  I've never seen a bad review of his kits.  The only Gladiator kit I have is the LMS beer van.  Haven't started it yet, but the etchings look quite nice and the whitemetal castings have very little flash on them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Earl of Dudley was a David Andrews kit. Earl of Dartmouthwas a Javelin (Gladiator) kit. Of the two, I thought the Javelin version was the better one.Sandy attachicon.gifP1080017.JPGattachicon.gifP1080144.JPG

Going down the DA path with his Duke. Clearly heavily related to the dukedog and as has been remarked, excellent castings.

No, I have not misaligned smokebox, this is a dry run.

post-1733-0-22471800-1442188600_thumb.jpg

I'd be be very interested to see your progress on the Duke - I'm toying with the idea of building one.  I'm sure the kit is good enough, but I'm not sure about my own abilities and availability of time! 

I have been half heartedly hijacking this thread because I am reluctant to commit to the tyranny of the a specific thread!

David is only producing kits in batches and I snaffled the last one on his shelf a few months ago.  I think you have to express interest and wait for 9 others to come on board.

I have had almost no issues so far and as Sandy has recorded about the Dukedog, the fundamental design is sound. The outside frames and curved footplate clearly add a degree of difficulty not to mention the weight distribution issue to come.

I have been half heartedly hijacking this thread because I am reluctant to commit to the tyranny of the a specific thread!

David is only producing kits in batches and I snaffled the last one on his shelf a few months ago.  I think you have to express interest and wait for 9 others to come on board.

I have had almost no issues so far and as Sandy has recorded about the Dukedog, the fundamental design is sound. The outside frames and curved footplate clearly add a degree of difficulty not to mention the weight distribution issue to come.

Looks like Mr. Andrews has changed his approach again.  This is what I read on his site this morning:

All kits are available to order only, no stock is carried. A £50 deposit is required for each one ordered.  There are periods throughout the year within which a kit can be ordered and a specific month in which they will be delivered. Kits can be reserved at any time on the understanding that the delivery could be quite protracted. Once a deposit has been paid the price is guaranteed. Please note that the delivery months listed are based on suppliers current time scales.

ORDERS RECEIVED TO 6th SEPTEMBER 2015-08-26 – DELIVERY IN DECEMBER 2015

ORDERS SEPTEMBER 7th 2015 TO 1st JANUARY 2016 – DELIVERY IN MARCH 2016

ORDERS JANUARY 2nd 2016 TO 1st APRIL 2016 – DELIVERY IN JUNE 2016

ORDERS APRIL 2nd 2016 TO 1st JULY 2016 – DELIVERY IN SEPTEMBER 2016

To me, this sounds like he'll produce a kit even if there's only one order, but he is having all the etches/castings done for all orders at once.

I ordered a GWR "City" from him just before he culled it from his offerings.  Glad I didn't wait...

Looks like Mr. Andrews has changed his approach again.  This is what I read on his site this morning:

All kits are available to order only, no stock is carried. A £50 deposit is required for each one ordered.  There are periods throughout the year within which a kit can be ordered and a specific month in which they will be delivered. Kits can be reserved at any time on the understanding that the delivery could be quite protracted. Once a deposit has been paid the price is guaranteed. Please note that the delivery months listed are based on suppliers current time scales.

ORDERS RECEIVED TO 6th SEPTEMBER 2015-08-26 – DELIVERY IN DECEMBER 2015

ORDERS SEPTEMBER 7th 2015 TO 1st JANUARY 2016 – DELIVERY IN MARCH 2016

ORDERS JANUARY 2nd 2016 TO 1st APRIL 2016 – DELIVERY IN JUNE 2016

ORDERS APRIL 2nd 2016 TO 1st JULY 2016 – DELIVERY IN SEPTEMBER 2016

To me, this sounds like he'll produce a kit even if there's only one order, but he is having all the etches/castings done for all orders at once.

I ordered a GWR "City" from him just before he culled it from his offerings.  Glad I didn't wait...

I'm sure you will find many similarities with both Duke & Dukedog kits and it will go together well.  I have had no problems so far with everything except the firebox to splashers joint, easily resolved.  The castings are terrific.  Not a hint of W/M in cab fittings for example; all lost wax brass.

I have found David to be very easy to deal with from the other side of the world so have no reason to think he won't be true to his word on deliveries.

post-1733-0-18411000-1442645335_thumb.jpg

Archived