Curved Bridge prototypes

Julia

On part of my layout I have a small curved bridge over a stream, the stream is about 7m (in scale - 80mm) across. I am trying to work out what sort of bridge would be used for this sort of short span. Would it be a plate bridge with exposed internals. Or a would the ballasting continue through the bridge? None of the major kit suppliers seem to make anything suitable so am going to have to scratch build it. 

The layout is an H0e narrow gauge (760mm prototype), set in Baden-Würtemberg. 

Thanks

Julia

Hello Julia,

there were only a few curved bridges but they did(or still do) exist.

wcd4psn5.jpg

Just look for Schmalspurbahnen,Brücken and you´ll find some prototype photos.

If not so I´ll scan some pics from the books at our club and send them to you via pn.

Kind regards

Soeren

The Landwasser viaduct in Switzerland on the Rhaetian Railway's Albula line is curved. Whilst it is masonry, I believe there is a steel skeleton underneath the stonework. Masonry bridges will tend to be polygonal as building in brick or stone in an outward curve just creates structural weakness.

Also on the RhB network is Brusio viaduct, which might be a better prototype than the Landwasser viaduct for your purposes.

• 6 months later...

Hello Julia,

there were only a few curved bridges but they did(or still do) exist.

wcd4psn5.jpg

Just look for Schmalspurbahnen,Brücken and you´ll find some prototype photos.

If not so I´ll scan some pics from the books at our club and send them to you via pn.

Kind regards

Soeren

The bridges sections are straight, only the rails and the walkways are curved.

Archived