Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Buying a new car

RANGERS

Not made any final decision, but the Skoda Superb hatch or the new estate is favourite, better ride/ drive/ price/ spec' than the VW Passat and perhaps better built. Anyone have any experience of them?

Worth a read on this UK Skoda owner's forum: http://briskoda.net/forums/index

I used it when researching Ocatavia Mk1s and Fabias at the time I was last looking to change cars, and also good to read the commentary on things like VAG engines which can be translated to the other marques.

Spent another fruitless afternoon yesterday in Saab, Seat and BMW dealers, only one of whom seemed the slightest bit interested in selling me a car!

Saab guy seemed resigned to his fate and was keener to sell me a used car (maybe more commission in that?), Seat dealer was OK but once again couldn't provide the car I was considering to look at. BMW dealer was busy, after 25mins the receptionist suggested I make an appointment.

I wonder if I could get by on the bus?

what a horrible feeling!

Im wondering (and this is nothing against you Rangers) is do these dealers look at you as if your not there to buy a car.

do they think your going to be a time waster etc.

would it help if you went in a suit for example?

Im thinking along the lines of julia roberts in pretty woman ( yes Im sorry I have had to sit and watch it and cant think of a better comparison at the moment :) )

where she goes into the posh clothes shops in her rough clothes and the sales staff are not interested and rude, puts on nice clothes and they fall all over her

could that be it? your not going down to the showroom in your pjyamas and slippers are you Rangers? :)

or is it really that theyre just lazy jerks.

Mike

Well I've just taken delivery, well picked up, of my new Honda Civic. Salesman was very knowledgeable, not pushy. Arranged a test drive for us. Did get a call from them on the day of the drive to apologise that the car I was due to take out had been pranged and that another was on it's way over to them and could I postpone for an hour or world I care to re-book. Waiting another hour wasn't a problem. Apologies when I arrived that the car was the Si-T and not plain Si thought this could be a ploy to make me spend an extra £1500 on hands free & SatNav. On return must admit I was tempted but salesman said did I really need it and better to save the money and buy a Tom Tom for £100.

Car is superb and wifey was presented with a bouquet of flowers when we collected car last week. Also two follow up calls to make sure we were happy with the car.

So basically a big :icon_thumbsup2: to Trident Honda of Weybridge.

Having worked on the production line at Hondas in Swindon maybe I'm biased but I get the feeling nothing was to much trouble.

Traded My old Dawoo Matiz :icon_redface: on the crappage scheme so got £2k for it. Only paid £1500 for three years ago :icon_clap:

Regards, Mark

what a horrible feeling!

Im wondering (and this is nothing against you Rangers) is do these dealers look at you as if your not there to buy a car.

Mike

It certainly happens. When my son was last changing his car we went to one of the local Vauxhall dealers. When we'd finished we wandered into the attached Saab dealership as I could use more GM points against the Saab. With us dressed in jeans, t-shirts, etc., the sales staff weren't interested. We obviously didn't look like we could afford one of their cars. Changed their tune a little later, however.

Colin

what a horrible feeling!

do they think your going to be a time waster etc.

would it help if you went in a suit for example?

Im thinking along the lines of julia roberts in pretty woman ( yes Im sorry I have had to sit and watch it and cant think of a better comparison at the moment :) )

where she goes into the posh clothes shops in her rough clothes and the sales staff are not interested and rude, puts on nice clothes and they fall all over her

could that be it? your not going down to the showroom in your pjyamas and slippers are you Rangers? :)

or is it really that theyre just lazy jerks.

Mike

Interesting thought, and as I work in high value equipment sales, one I can relate to. You never know who will turn up or in what garb. We have one regular customer who will regularly spend £250,000+ in one transaction but who is usually in overalls so you treat everyone with respect.

I was in a suit or smart casuals when calling so I'd have expected a little more interest. What I don't expect to have to do is meet their dress standards when spending something akin to a year's salary with them!

Seriously though, I found the general attitude disappointing, in many cases we didn't even get to talk to someone and in a couple of instances contact was by phone so they'd be hard pressed to judge my manner of dress. I suspect I may have got more attention if I had turned up in pyjamas, hmmm....now there's a thought!

• 2 weeks later...

Final outcome of this saga is I'm having a company car. After ehausting the options of buying outright, contract purchase and long term rental,the finances of opting out of the company car and sourcing my own didn't stack up as well as a company car so order placed with a leasing company for a Skoda Superb hatchback, to be supplied through the dealer of their choice who'll deliver it to me. As delivery is 3 - 4 months, they'll supply a car in the meantime.

Of the 11 dealers I was awaiting return calls from on 13 March, only three came back to me, two of them Skoda dealers, the third a BMW dealer. My VW Touran goes next week after 2 1/2 years and with approx 146,000 miles on the clock. In the last few days has developed it's only major fault, the clutch master cylinder actuating rod has snapped causing the clutch to only operate with the pedal pressed to the floor. Not bad going really and I'll be sorry to see her go.

The bad news is my missus want's her 206 replacing so it looks like we'll be going through the whole saga again in the not too distant future!

Archived