Source of rail for 009 project

LNWR lives on

Hi

I am trying to find a source of rail only, for soldering up my own track-work for a 009 industrial project

Would also be interested in 009 point kits

Can anyone help with a source as I seem to keep ending up with ready made track be it peco or parkside dundas

Cheers

David

Hi David

You could look at Peco Code IL-4 rail which is code 80 ( 0.80" high) or IL-70 which is better at code 70.  Both from retailers or direct from PECO website.  Also on Borth-y-Gest I used code 60 bullhead rail as a better match for FfR pre-preservation rail.  This is available to members only of the 3mm Society, which i joined for a few years to get this and other supplies - quite a good magazine too.  Now I am building 7mm narrpow gauge I have let the membership drop.   For modern FfWHR you will need hefty flat bottom rail anyway so go for the code 80.  

Points are easier to build with bullhead as there is less filing to do!!  I don't know of any point kits but get your head round templot or N gauge templates and change the sleeper spacing, buy some copperclad sleepers and have a go - it's not hard.  Paul

David

I dont know where you live but ordering meter lengths of rail through the post can be expensive thanks to the Royal Mail's change to parcel size some time ago.

The first thing really is to decide what size rail you require. I think code 75 may look a bit too big, so code 60 may be better. Other than Peco you have C&L and Marcway as suppliers.

I know of no company selling 009 turnout kits, the best I can come up with is to make them out of copperclad sleepers and code 60 rail. Again I do not know of any off the shelf plans, though they are relatively easy to make and print from Templot (computer track building software).

Should be a quite straight forward build in soldered track construction. You could use ply sleepers and spike rail to them, this is far more involved to my mind that soldered construction, though others may disagree.

It really come down to DIY I am afraid.  

When we built our HOe layout I used Tillig track. You can get plain rail (code 83, flat bottomed) from international models. I also built my own points using a jig I got from Fastracks in Canada I think you can specify turnout radius, track gauge and rail size and they will CNC mill a jig that let's you lay in copper clad sleepers and position the rail exactly where you need it. They also do a very handy clamp/jig for filing point blades and frog Vs. Have a look at www.handlaidtrack.com

Also the new peck mainline points are well worth a look if you are planning to run anything bigger than a 009 0-4-0.

Archived