LNWR Coach Colour Match

• 5 years later...

The nearest match to the prototype is probably the Phoenix Precision Paints.  Years ago I bought the other two model paints sold as LNWR Coach Lake (plum)  then available, which were much more brown/red. IIRC one was by Railmatch but doesn't appear to now be available. If you go back to the early posts in this thread you will find more information.

The two restored carriages at the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre, as well as the Picnic Saloon that was undergoing restoration and had some samples of the original colours when it was being stripped back, show a colour which the PPP matches quite well. The attached photo shows on of the BRC carriages. The cover on the two LNWR Carriage copies I have looks similar but I wouldn't want to say more than that. Print colours can be rather unreliable, both on photos, books and the computer screen.

544183325_12wDiner.jpg.f05fe394303d66595a2918103eed50ce.jpg

I've also added a photo of a LNWR/WCJS 42' carriage painted in cellulose paint matched to  the PPP LNWR Coach Plum.

1070684527_WCJSD56.jpg.ab583bfba707c009ac0c20bab72e1729.jpg

• Like 4

I'm in the US.    I cannot get Phoenix Precision Paints, or any other paint in the mail.    Possibly what I need are color chips sent to me by a generous modeller.

I have some Lacquer "russert" than when toned down with black, matches my dust jacket perfectly.  Ian Rathbone suggests that lacquer is the same as cellulose (page 21 of "Painting and Lining").    Which is interesting, as cellulose is unavailable in the US.  Yet my local hobby shop has a full rack of lacquer.

I'd LIKE to paint in cellulose.    I'm hoping that lacquer (which dries quickly and very gloss) is as useful a cover coat to paint lining on, impervious to enamels.  

Still struggling with matching paints!

10 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

A bit of searching has turned BSC 449 Light Purple Brown as a match. 

https://www.e-paint.co.uk/lab-hlc-rgb-lrv-values.asp?cRange=BS Other&cRef=BS 449

OK, assuming that my monitor is reproducing that correctly, that is almost exactly a match for my dust jacket, and the sample of lacquer that I mixed up out of russert and black.    I might try russert with black and a touch of dark blue just to see what a purple tinge will look like.

Edited by bluestag

• 3 weeks later...

Eureka!    I think I have found a match for LNWR "plumb".    It is a Japanese made lacquer.    The company seems to be Mr. Hobby, and the line of lacquers is called Mr. Color.   "Hull Red" #29 is a very close match to the dust jacket of my LNWR coach book, and to the color sample from Jol above.

I think I am done mixing paint.   Now I need to come to grips with my air brush.

And I got the brush to work, more thinners!   But the lacquer is not gloss.    Gonna need to spray on a gloss finish before I line the coaches.

It is always something.

Kevin

Edited by bluestag

On 04/02/2010 at 20:57, coachmann said:

Using model paints, the Royal Train plum is pretty close,

My understanding of the history is that the Royal Train plum/claret/purple of whatever its called began life as LNWR "Carmine Lake" - the LNWR colour was adopted for Royal trains. Whether the colour now closely resembles the colour then, I'm not sure, but it conceivably does, because the present colour of the real RT is very dark, it reads as almost black, except in very bright sunlight, so must be very heavily saturated. The RT still lives at Wolverton, I believe. Here is a picture of the one time RT shunting engine https://www.flickr.com/photos/36034969@N08/26565976413/ An 08 in LNWR carriage paint??

Interestingly, some contemporary writers refer to the LNWR color not as 'plum', but as 'chocolate', and if you compare it with a 'plain', rather than 'milk', chocolate, you can see why.

I'm also told by one of the researchers involved at the BRC that the blue cast in the white was there to counteract the yellow cast given by over-varnishing, so that a re-varnished coach remained fresh-looking.

Edited by Nearholmer

• 2 years later...

To refresh this conversation.    I found a tin of Cherry Paints plum that I squirreled away years ago.   Decades, actually.  It is a very dark purple.   I had thought that Mr. Color Hull Red was a good match, but not close.    I have also purchased a finished coach, and the paint is a bit browner than dark purple.   It certainly has a hint of purple.

In the Mr. Color range there is a "Russian Aircraft Blue" which is about as dark a blue as the Cherry plum is purple.   A bit of pure red brings it purple, to the point I am nearly matched to the Cherry Paints.

Pity is it is satin.   I'll need to top coat it with gloss.

Edited by bluestag
correction