DCC Fitted Loco Constantly on Full Speed

PNEYorkshire

Hello all,

I installed a decoder to an old Hornby 142 today and have a problem that has stumped me. It's all hooked up right, I managed to link it to my NCE PowerCab and I started trying to run it in as it wasn't running too smoothly. However, for some reason every time I put it in the track it wants to race off at full speed. I've reset the PowerCab, which hasn't helped, and regardless of what setting I put it on the motor just tries to disappear.

I can't seem to see any touching wires of circuit mistakes.....is there a reason I'm missing that might make this happen? Could the decoder have been damaged?

Many thanks in advance.

Guest 838rapid

Was it taken off the track whilst it was still moving??

Sometimes I get a similar problem with my logos.

Also try putting the pacer on the track,then turn on the controller.

Worth a try

• RMweb Gold

If it were my loco,

I would clean the wheels, double check my decoder installation, reset the decoder, turn off DC operation,

Then I would be trying the decoder in another loco and trying another decoder in the dodgy loco! Decoders with Goof Proof warranty are desirable!

Tony

If it were my loco,

I would clean the wheels, double check my decoder installation, reset the decoder, turn off DC operation,

Then I would be trying the decoder in another loco and trying another decoder in the dodgy loco! Decoders with Goof Proof warranty are desirable!

Tony

How would I reset the decoder? Via the PowerCab? It's a Bachmann 4 function decoder btw

Guest 838rapid

Have you tried pressing the stop button when its running away??

To have a go at reprogramming the chip you need to press the program/esc button bottom left.

This should open more options.

See if it offers program on the main.

If it does it should offer you the option to enter the number the 142 is on.

If so enter that number.

Then it should offer you to alter various settings including cv,when it does enter cv 08 and value p

Of 8.

Hope this helps.

Have you tried pressing the stop button when its running away??

To have a go at reprogramming the chip you need to press the program/esc button bottom left.

This should open more options.

See if it offers program on the main.

If it does it should offer you the option to enter the number the 142 is on.

If so enter that number.

Then it should offer you to alter various settings including cv,when it does enter cv 08 and value p

Of 8.

Hope this helps.

Thanks! Tried both and neither seemed to work. If the decoder was damaged, would the power going to the track just act like it would if it were a DC loco, bypass the decoder and just give full power to the motor?

Guest 838rapid

If the decoder is bust it shouldn't allow the motor to work,it should.cut the track power.

Sorry I am at a loss as what to suggest,I see your in Yorkshire? I am Sheffield and could pop round with prodigy and see if that can resolve your issues.

Have you got 2 coaches connected electrically and have you separated the pick ups to the chips??

I've got the wheels picking up power from the dummy cab too, but they're connected as they should be to the decoder first, then from the decoder to the motor....it was working earlier and just seems to have stopped and reverted to this, which makes me wonder if it's an issue with the PowerCab :s

I've got the wheels picking up power from the dummy cab too, but they're connected as they should be to the decoder first, then from the decoder to the motor....it was working earlier and just seems to have stopped and reverted to this, which makes me wonder if it's an issue with the PowerCab :s

Although my other locos aren't doing this....

Guest 838rapid

Daft as it might sound,did you reverse the wiring when the vehicles couple up?

Just wondering as it might be a slack connection between the units and enough to block signals from the controller .

Daft as it might sound,did you reverse the wiring when the vehicles couple up?

Just wondering as it might be a slack connection between the units and enough to block signals from the controller .

They're connected to the right colours :(

Even when I disconnect the pickups from the dummy car, leaving it how it was before, it still tries to go

Guest 838rapid

With just the powered chipped coach on the track,hold it under your hand firmly and switch on the controller,have a look at the recall button next to red stop button,give it a press and see if the controller thinks it's sending a signal to the number of the unit.

Guest 838rapid

I have just tried a ixion loco that I have fitted with a Bachmann 4 function chip under normal control rather than Yard settings(which the Prodigy does) and this loco wants to run away on 0.

Have held it down and set power setting to 1 then zero and the loco has stopped running.

Seems it might be an issue with chip/controller compliance.

I wonder if this is a chip issue.

I have just tried a ixion loco that I have fitted with a Bachmann 4 function chip under normal control rather than Yard settings(which the Prodigy does) and this loco wants to run away on 0.

Have held it down and set power setting to 1 then zero and the loco has stopped running.

Seems it might be an issue with chip/controller compliance.

I wonder if this is a chip issue.

Gave both a try and nothing doing. Usually on the PowerCab when I set one thing going, switch to another loco and then switch back, it cancels out whatever the first loco was doing. Nothing stops this one from taking off at full pelt. I've tried re-programming the decoder and the PowerCab can't even find it now...

It sounds like a wiring fault. Disconnect the decoder and check for continuity, or rather the lack of continuity between the wheels and the motor brushes. I don't have a Hornby Pacer, but I have read that some of the old Hornby motors had a "hidden" connection to one of the motor brushes through one of the screws that held the brush holder in place.

• RMweb Gold

As above, I would disconnect the decoder and check the socket for continuity with a meter.  To put it simply, the pairs of pins at each end (I assume it's an 8-pin socket) are one motor and one pickup, and with the decoder disconnected these two pins should not be electrically connected. If they are, it then means that when you put a decoder into the socket, the motor will be getting full DCC power at all times and will hurtle off at full speed in one direction.

Of course there's no problem on DC since all the blanking plug does is connect these two pins together anyway.

Guest 838rapid

I have taken my loco apart tonight,and I have cooked the resistors on the circuit board,most likely started before I chipped it as I used a g scale controller on it before I chipped it.

No major loss though as its heading off for sound fitting soon and I shall transfer the chip into my oo Castle.

I've just removed the decoder and put it in a Lima 156 and it's doing exactly the same. It's strange...I installed a Hornby one into a 155 on Tuesday with no problem. Is there a known issue with Bachmann decoders or could it be a setting on the PowerCab?

I've peeled back the coating on the chip to make sure nothing's touching near the circuit board and it's fine. The motor quickly starts to stink on the 156 and my PowerCab keeps saying it's short circuiting and restarts....

I wonder that it's a chip issue,mine is doing the same when under normal control.mine is a 36-552 2 function chip.

Same here

Archived