RMweb

Something a little bigger

LisaP4

Some recent ideas of maybe getting a Roundhouse steam loco kit lead me to at least try out the scale first. So wanting something fairly simple to start with I bought a couple of Brandbright wagon kits.

The pic' is their GS10 box van kit, weighted down as the glue sets on the body. The kit is primarily laser cut wood, with cast whitemetal axle guards, and buffers/couplings and wheels turned in aluminium and steel, respectively. It all goes together quite nicely, with just a little sanding of the edges here and there. The slow part is waiting for the pva to dry before moving on to the next step. The solebars are made of 2 pieces of plywood glued together back-to-back, and held in alignment by some (supplied) pins pushed through prebored holes; my fingers are also full of holes from repeatedly grabbing hold of the sharp ends of the pins while working on the solebars!

The other kit is their GS15 5 plank open wagon.

post-357-0-36836400-1410612633.jpg

Doors on, still need to form the roof before painting and then finally adding the handrails. The door runners needed a bit more sanding than usual, as there was a fair bit of burn residue where the laser had cut the wood which I figured would cause problems with the glue. The axle guards were just lightly screwed on for the pic', which was taken with the van sitting on an 0 gauge diorama/display track I made a few years back.

The underframe looks rather barren from this angle; I'm tempted to hang a step under the doors at about axle height to give it a little something. I'll probably work on the open wagon once I've got the roof formed, then paint both once the weather's a little less wet.

post-357-0-56605400-1410634333.jpg

...The underframe looks rather barren from this angle; I'm tempted to hang a step under the doors at about axle height to give it a little something...

You might consider a thumping great bracket fungus growing on a solebar, that's real character. (It won't undermine the strength of the wagon overmuch for its 10mph service speed, and maximum load of a basket of pullets and two milk churns.) An axlebox cover or two missing so that axle ends can be seen turning would also look good.

Archived