Humbrol Gunmetal

AliR53

Hi, can someone please explain the difference to me between, Humbrol enamel metallic no.53 Gunmetal and Humbrol enamel metalcote no.27004 Gunmetal?

When and for what would I use one or the other?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

In short, Metalcote paints when dry can be buffed to a shine giving the effect of the paint colour used.

I've used Metalcote a number of times, mainly on aircraft kits where the part required a shiny or polished look. (The stainless steel nose ring of an English Electric Lightning for example.)

Thanks 45059. Can Metalcote be applied by brush as well as an airbrush? I have just seen on another modelling site that someone had trouble applying metalcote with a brush as it was so watery(sic) and felt it was only suitable for an airbrush. I do use an airbrush but would want to use it by brush as well possibly.

Just tried but I'm at work and I can't get on youtube. Will have to try later at home. But I just noticed one of the comments was what happens when you spray matt  or satin varnish over the metalcote? Can you still buff it up? Anyone tried?

Stir VERY well (to me the pigment seems thicker than standard paint), but yes it can be brushed on. In fact, typically I give the tin a little stir each time I reload the brush.

It is worth using as I love the effect Metalcote gives once buffed.

Guest Centurion

It is better airbrushed on large areas as it can get a bit brush strokey (?!) brushed fine on small areas though. Can also give the impression of greasey muck too. I find varnishing after does reduce the metal effect.

Archived