OMG. Biffo's new Class 37/4 West Highland sounds

dasatcopthorne

Hi Sandy

Yes - if F5 is left on, each time you reduce the speed steps you get a small air brake sound, the bigger the speed reduction the bigger the air brake sound, it's very impressive in use once you get the hang of how it works.

As for the cab lights, Aux 1 & 2 are on F19 & F20 on Biff's WH 37/4, so one of these should ? turn the cab lights on/off. If your system does not allow access to F19/F20 the cab lights could always be remapped to a lower (unused) F key.

I've noticed the very latest version now has RETB sounds on F11 

Are you happy with the new reblow sound/s?

HTH

Ken

Thank you very much Ken. I now have 2 of Bif's class 37's running in consist. I had a nightmare speed-matching them, but they are more or less ok now. One sets off before the other and I cannot fix that. Start voltages are identical BTW. They sound amazing I have to say, one with a sub-woofer in the tanks and the other in the roof with the blutak mod. 

Thanks for explaining F5, I will have to try that one. 

Crumplezone.

On the Bachmann 21 pin, it will be a straight replacement. Pull the old chip out and plug the new one in. Make sure you do a good speaker install. The one that comes with the V4 chip is a good start providing you fit it in a low-relief enclosure (available from DC Kits with the chip) You will need to remove the fan gubbings.

With the 56, again just unplug and plug in if it's a Hornby and DCC Ready. Make sure what connector you have, 8 or 21pin. Either way, once again it's a straight replacement. However, with an 8pin V4 chip you get a round speaker. I would order an ESU 20 x 40 in a housing to go with the chip. You will have to re-solder the speaker wires for this. Don't thinkl Biff does sounds for the V3.5 chip any longer.

Remember, you cannot use the speaker from the V3.5 set up with a V4 chip.

Dave

Thanks for replying Dave. Not to fussed about the fan, its non-functional anyway so I'd probably remove that  so the speaker can blast out the top.  I may pick up one of biffo's 37/4 decoders in the coming months, I just wanted a general idea of how hard/complicated sound decoders are to deal with in installation and general setup so its good its just a matter of plug and play to get things up and running.

I contacted Howes about the 56xx steam loco sound decoder(to see mostly if it could be reblow'ed) and while they said they could do it they said functionality wise there would be less options due to it not being a V4 and because its 8pin getting the adaptor to fit for the 21pin would leave little room in the actual chassis and ofcourse it probably overcook due to lack of room.

I watched the videos demo'ing the 37s from Biffo and have to say they sound quite considerably far ahead in terms of sound immersion and functionality vs competition, while i'm not especially to fussed about having a large base speaker it certainly is quite amazing how much sound the locos are making.

Credit to Biffo getting so many sound functions cramped into such a low amount of memory and still making it sound realistic.

The F5 brake application sounds and the cab lights were perfectly described by Ken. As well as the different brake app sounds, F5 also produces a brake dump sound if you press it whilst stationary.

Cab lights are normally on Aux1 on Bahmann locos and hence F19 on all my chips.

And as Ken referred to, the WH 37 now features RETB token sounds on F11. Press F11 and release to make the token request (as many times as you like), and / or press F11 and leave it on to make a request and have it acknowledged (thanks Carl for the sounds).

The Ruston 37 is about half finished. I had to briefly sideline it while I did the Hastings Unit chip but it's back on the front burner again now and coming along nicely.

Bif

I still do quite a few sounds on v3.5. If anyone wishes to send me a PM with their email address I will forward a list (v3.5 & v4). Latest addition is the Hastings Unit - public thanks to Hastings Diesels Limited for helping with that one.

Not such a low amount of memory these days Crumplezone; four minutes as opposed to just one when the first chips came out. When the memory doubled to four minutes I thought I'd never use it all but now I'm wondering when we'll get an 8-minute chip. More memory in conjunction with the v4's free-form programming ability enables me to increase the variety of sounds and provide great new features like the playable brake applications referred to above. With the engine sounds I've tended to use this to provide different ways of departing (four in most of my recent diesels for example), but more memory would enable me to extend the variety to all the other 'transition' sounds. All of this helps the illusion that you're listening to a real loco, not a model.

Bif

Thank you very much Ken. I now have 2 of Bif's class 37's running in consist. I had a nightmare speed-matching them, but they are more or less ok now. One sets off before the other and I cannot fix that. Start voltages are identical BTW. They sound amazing I have to say, one with a sub-woofer in the tanks and the other in the roof with the blutak mod. 

Thanks for explaining F5, I will have to try that one. 

As a quick trial, try increasing the start volts of the "slower" loco to pull away by 1 at a time, or decreasing the "faster" one if possible ? again by 1 at a time -  also check CV3 (inertia) has the same setting on both locos.

Crumplezone.

On the Bachmann 21 pin, it will be a straight replacement. Pull the old chip out and plug the new one in. Make sure you do a good speaker install. The one that comes with the V4 chip is a good start providing you fit it in a low-relief enclosure (available from DC Kits with the chip) You will need to remove the fan gubbings.

With the 56, again just unplug and plug in if it's a Hornby and DCC Ready. Make sure what connector you have, 8 or 21pin. Either way, once again it's a straight replacement. However, with an 8pin V4 chip you get a round speaker. I would order an ESU 20 x 40 in a housing to go with the chip. You will have to re-solder the speaker wires for this. Don't thinkl Biff does sounds for the V3.5 chip any longer.

Remember, you cannot use the speaker from the V3.5 set up with a V4 chip.

Dave

Ha ha ha! I think I need to go and lie down. Quickly.

Lord knows why I read 56xx as a Class 56 diesel and replied accordingly.

I really must give all this up and have a nice long holiday!!

Sorry for being so stupid.

Good night

Dave

I just found out Biffo you work with Armstrong Powerhouse who does diesel soundsets for train simulator, I supposed I shouldn't be surprised then by the sound samples and extra functionality you give to the sound decoders, I think that is pretty much settled for which sound decoder I'm getting for my class 37 in the coming months.

Yes, I've been working with Richard for a few years now. The relationship works very well because while we're both after the same thing in sound terms, we operate in completely different markets and don't tread on one another's toes.

This promo video of Richard's was made on our last trip together at the Spa Valley railway doing the thumper. It gives you an idea of what's involved in obtaining the sounds. The slip of a lad in the white shirt is Richard, I'm the old git in black!

Yes, I've been working with Richard for a few years now. The relationship works very well because while we're both after the same thing in sound terms, we operate in completely different markets and don't tread on one another's toes.

This promo video of Richard's was made on our last trip together at the Spa Valley railway doing the thumper. It gives you an idea of what's involved in obtaining the sounds. The slip of a lad in the white shirt is Richard, I'm the old git in black!

Firstly, I thought I had apologised to Charlie and Bif re my mis-direction of the availability of V3.5 sounds.

So. Sorry Guys.

Secondly, just watched that promo video on recording the Thumper sound.

I really didn't think it was that involved, so all due respect to you.

Dave.

The NEW RETB fitted West Highland 37/0 & 37/4 will be launched at the Glasgow show along with the RETB fitted Class 156 & 158 sound projects.

Suggest you PRE-ORDER them, on the website 'www.dckits-devideos.co.uk' followed by a e.mail to me saying 'WANT TO COLLECT AT GLASGOW'

See you there  Charlie

The NEW RETB fitted West Highland 37/0 & 37/4 will be launched at the Glasgow show along with the RETB fitted Class 156 & 158 sound projects.

Suggest you PRE-ORDER them, on the website 'www.dckits-devideos.co.uk' followed by a e.mail to me saying 'WANT TO COLLECT AT GLASGOW'

See you there  Charlie

Hope they will be audible over the "growling beast "  and no -  that's not you I'm referring to...............  ;-)) honest !

• 2 weeks later...

A big thanks to both Biffo via PM and Charlie on the phone for answering loads of newbie questions on my part. Today the 37/4 highland class 37 sound decoder turned up with low relief enclosure in the post and I was able to get all the gubbins inside the loco after popping around to the shop to grab abit of blue tack to hold the enclosure to the chassis aswell as stopper the holes on the speaker and the wire gap I made in the resin enclosure.

Technically I have the wrong type of sounds for my 37/9 but to be quite frank and honest I'm not 100% "this must be 100% accurate" I know that will irk a few people but the 37/4 highland sounds were just to good to miss and having them on my only (currently :sungum: ) 37 I thought it be worthwhile going with something I would enjoy listening to.

Suffice to say with abit of removal of some mould injection points inside the 37/9 and removing the fan housing I got the low relief enclosure and speaker in.

Now I was prepared for "loud" sounds, but I didn't expect what I heard when I hit F1. By god I swear I could hear the dog nextdoor suddenly start barking from the startup and pressing the horn sounds (which I might add on the Hornby elite are not a press and it honks, its press and it stays on to you press again to switch off option, so don't do this at 9:30am).

I was able to give it a good thrash around on a oval of track (the layouts underway) and it just sounds awesome. Considering its just that one oblong speaker in I was surprised just how much volume it could put out and surprised more than it wasn't tinny or especially to weak on the deep engine notes.

For me this has been quite a eye opener to dcc sound, I had previous fitted locos but they certainly never reached the level I would expect from the sheer volume or interactivity. I think more purchases of Biffo's sounds will be in order in the future.

On another note, does anyone know where I could come across a sound enclosure for one of the round speakers which are provided with 8-pin loksound(specifically the 3.5V versions) as Charlie pointed out to me on the phone that alot of them didn't come with enclosures when fitted to locos which is what seems to be the case in the 56xx 8pin decoder I had swapped to a class 25. I certainly like to give the 25 abit more umph with a enclosure around its speaker as it was just padded out with bluetak which Charlie pointed out really doesn't do the speaker any good as it has no air to work with to make sound.

• 3 weeks later...

I have bought s couple of these fantastic decoders.

I use a Prodigy Express and only have 16 functions. I would like to control the cab lights on a 21 pin model and so will have to swap some functions. Looking up previous posts, remapping functions on ESU 4 appears to be complex.

I have remapped Zimo decoders (thanks to Paul's help). Is there a similar method of remapping the ESU 4 for the WHL 37?

Any help much appreciated.

Andrew

I use a Prodigy Express and only have 16 functions. I would like to control the cab lights on a 21 pin model and so will have to swap some functions. Looking up previous posts, remapping functions on ESU 4 appears to be complex.

I have remapped Zimo decoders (thanks to Paul's help). Is there a similar method of remapping the ESU 4 for the WHL 37?

Andrew

Hi Andrew

Changing the Function key layout on the Lok 4 is a bit more complex, and will also depend on the ability of your Prodigy Express to be able to read/set CV's above 255 ?    The CV's required can be easily worked out using a Lokprogrammer to change the Aux outputs from F19 & F20 to any "unused/blank" F keys of your choice.

Provided your system can read/set above CV255 once you confirm what F key you wish to use for the cab lights, I could advise you which CV's to change.

Zimo decoders are more flexible due to their pseudo mapping options.

HTH

Ken

Andrew,

Basically, what Ken said. All I need to know is which F key you'd like the lights moving to.

Remapping is no more difficult than any other chip, it's just a case of changing CV's. If you let us know at the time of ordering, we can remap the function before sending it out to save you the trouble.

Bif

Bif

Thanks for the reply. I don't need the guards whistle (F11 from memory - I am shopping with the Mrs and am filling my time usefully!). My locos are actually BZ 37/5s and not WHL 37/4s so I don't need a guard to despatch a train from the Clay Dries.

I know that the Prodigy Express can cope with CVs above 255.

Thanks again for your help.

Andrew

Bif

Thanks for the reply. I don't need the guards whistle (F11 from memory - I am shopping with the Mrs and am filling my time usefully!). My locos are actually BZ 37/5s and not WHL 37/4s so I don't need a guard to despatch a train from the Clay Dries.

I know that the Prodigy Express can cope with CVs above 255.

Thanks again for your help.

Andrew

Andrew

The Guards Whistle is on F10  so the following CV changes will put the Cab lights on F11 - which is unused as supplied -  so you can still have the guards whistle.

Index CV's are required to make the changes:

First Set CV31 to 16  and CV32 to 3

Then set 

CV 266 = 4

CV 267 = 64

CV 394 = 0

CV 395 = 0

Reset CV 31 & CV 32 to 0 when complete - this is most important

Note: Setting CV's 394/5  = 0 will remove the cab light operation from key F19 - this is not really necessary and could be left, which would just mean F11 and F19 would both switch the cab lights on/off.

HTH

Ken

4 reblows at Glasgow for me! 37/0-37/4 WH. 26 & the beast that is the Deltic!

Running a Colas 66 on Outon Rd that had been re-engined as a 37/0 drew a few funny and puzzled looks!!

Both 37's and the Deltic fitted with bass speakers in the tanks. Outstanding tunes as usual from the Biff! A tweak with CV''s 5&6 have it running and sounding spot on!!

I spent last night assisting with fitting 2 class 26 chips and I have a 66 to do, thats what I get for praising Biffo sounds to fellow club members!

The 66 will get done if Biff is good enough to exchange the 21 pin 66 chip for a 8 pin version as I wasn't told it was an earlier Bachman Freightliner model!

For me Biffo sounds are by far the best.

Andrew

Andrew

Using the information I supplied above, did you manage to shift the F key for the cab lights on the Loksound 4 ? and get a working result ? 

Regards

Ken

Archived